RE: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Splinter Department

  • Mike Beedle
    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 9, 2002
      Paul Clanton wrote:
      > In comparing Mary’s 3M approach and the sabbatical
      >idea I raised, I think the differences are
      >superficial. I suggested a two-week (i.e., 4%)
      >sabbatical _at least_ once a year. This does
      >not preclude spending 15% (i.e., 7.5 weeks).
      >I am not sure how 3M expects this time to be
      >allocated (e.g., continuous on a daily basis
      >or in chunks) but I personally favor chunking
      >it up. After all, continuous, short, uninterrupted
      >work is the essence of Scrum. Moreover, this
      >gives people time to recharge their work batteries
      >just as a vacation gives them time to recharge
      >their personal batteries.

      Paul,

      Sorry I didn't get the same idea after Mary's
      clarification:

      Isn't the sabbatical outside the team and
      the 15%-exploratory inside the team as Mary
      described it?

      (meta-comment "Here is my Scrum-centric mind
      taking over my hands.")

      This difference is significant. In Scrum, we
      promise that the team will be focused and committed
      and that it won't be working on anything else except
      the Sprint Backlog, (which of course came from the
      Product Backlog, and therefore came from
      Customer's priorities).

      I am starting to think the sabbatical is more
      compatible with Scrum, if the activities are
      not related to the customer's needs.

      OTOH, if they are, they should be in the Product
      Backlog, and prioritized and assigned to Sprint
      Backlog like any other task,

      - Mike
    • mpoppendieck
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 9, 2002
        When people go home from work, they coach their kids sports or
        volunteer at church or train for triathlons or engage in other
        passions. We certainly don't expect them to give this up for
        work,
        except maybe temporarily in a crisis. Some people come home from
        working on a Scrum team and work on some Open Source code or put
        together a database for a boy scout troop, and so on. The point of
        the 15% rule is that people who get passionate about something other
        than their regular jobs (but related to their company interests) are
        encouraged to pursue the idea while on the job. By leveraging this
        kind of passion, 3M gets hundreds of new products every year.

        I wonder how we can expect every member of a Scrum team to be
        totally committed to do nothing but work on the backlog over the
        several months a project might run. It seems rather pretentious to
        assume this. I suspect that a well-led Scrum team will motivate all
        the team members to work only on the customer backlog. But if Scrum
        becomes a way of life in an organization, it seems to me that the
        organization should admit that some people on some Scrum teams might
        get distracted and want to do something else some of the time. If
        they can't do it at work, they will do it at home. 3M provides a
        simple mechanism to allow everyone some slack, so they can follow
        their passions at work, and in exchange, the company cashes in on
        the results.

        So I would argue that allowing (not scheduling, allowing) slack in
        everyone's normal schedule, instead of expecting everyone to be
        100%
        committed to what their management wants them to do, is a good
        thing.

        --- In scrumdevelopment@y..., "Mike Beedle" <beedlem@e...> wrote:

        > One of the promises that we make in Scrum is focus and
        > commitment of every resources in delivering software
        > according to the customer priorities. And the customer
        > priorities are kept in the prioritized product backlog.
        >
        > So this would be difficult, but maybe not impossible in
        > a traditional Scrum team.
        >
        > Paul's sabbatical would be more feasible, as long as the
        > team member on sabbatical is _not_ in the Scrum team, he/she
        > may spend time doing something else without dragging
        > anyone with him/her,
        >
        > - Mike
      • Mike Cohn
        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 9, 2002

          I’ve dealt with this two ways in the past:

          1)       allowing teams to take every Friday afternoon for use in pursuing any company they want *except* work on the main project to which they are assigned (whether Scrum-managed or not). This works well because it gives each person about 10% of their time to spend on any wild ideas they want. I’ve had individuals use this time for reading, for learning new languages, for “study groups” to go over important books in detail, to write magazine articles, etc. I don’t allow people to use the time to work on items in the current sprint backlog because sometimes that leads to peer pressure that forces others to work on the backlog.

          2)       There is almost always some “friction” or slow time between sprints at some point on a project. In a typically well-run project there might be 3 – 4 sprints that can follow one right after another but usually after that you hit a period where somebody isn’t really ready for a new round of sprints (or they’re barely ready). A lot of times this will be the product management group (or whatever group in an organization defines the backlog/requirements). They may need to go do research with customers (that should have been done sooner) or such and there is a period where the team just doesn’t need to go full speed on the project. This is a great time to encourage people to get creative with how they spend their time.

          Also, a fairly relevant question in all of this is whether most developers (programmers and otherwise) will come up with “new products” when left to their own devices for 15% of their time. It sounds like a small percentage of time but it’s not really and I’m not really sure it pays off to the benefits of a business to have every employee spend that much time “away” from mainline work.

          In terms of just plain including slack in a schedule, that is very much a necessity but it’s different from telling people to spend 15% of their time on whatever they want. Every team is of course different so percentages are somewhat meaningless but I typically encourage a team to target around 60-70% occupied when they move items into a sprint backlog. So: if the sprint is 20 days * 8 hours that is 160 hours. I’ll encourage teams to pull in about 100 hours each of identified backlog. The rest is spent on whatever else takes up that team’s day (meetings, email, washing my car, etc.) but it also puts them into a mode right off where there isn’t undue pressure that leads to shortcuts. This is different from commitment to the project, though. The team is expected to be committed to the project 100% but slack is allowed in their schedules because they are all trusted to know how best to spend that time.  DeMarco’s latest book, “Slack” appropriately enough, is pretty good on the subject but gets pretty repetitious by the end.

          --Mike

          Message 4 of 29 , Feb 9, 2002
            I like your idea of Friday afternoon slack time. On the other hand,
            as you noted, not everyone has something they want to pursue during
            such time. That's why at 3M it is 'allowable' to charge 'up to' 15%
            of your time on something outside your regular assignment. In
            actual practice, at any given time, only a few people actually do
            this. So if slack time is scheduled for everyone, you may loose
            more time than you can afford.

            I am reading between the lines a possible assumption that everyone
            must work the same hours as everyone else on the team. Is this
            considered necessary? Is there a problem with someone taking the
            odd afternoon off to do something else, or leaving for an unrelated
            meeting here and there? Is there a problem with someone coming in
            at 7 and leaving at 4, while someone else comes in at 10 and leaves
            at 7 (both on a regular basis)?

          • Paul
            Message 5 of 29 , Feb 9, 2002
              You just took a good idea and made it a bad one. I
              really don't like this arm-twisting idea that every
              Friday you will work on something outside of your
              project. What happens when spring goals are not being
              met? The better idea was 3M which leaves the decision
              up to the individual who has other commitments (
              Sprint Goals ).

              -- Paul

              http://greetings.yahoo.com
            • Mike Cohn
              Message 6 of 29 , Feb 9, 2002

                Personally, I’ve always let people work the hours they want unless some big wig tells me I can’t allow that. Many of the companies I’ve worked with—especially over the past 7 years—have been distributed across more than one time zone. At that point it’s irrelevant when people work or are in the office. In practice I never really care when people take their time off the mainline project. “Friday afternoon” was more symbolic than anything else. Certainly if someone wanted to attend a product user’s group meeting or such out of the office I’ve encouraged that whenever it was scheduled. The idea was to have the person spend some company time doing things that indirectly, rather than directly, benefit the project. Reading magazines, articles, web sites, etc. all count in that direction. Similarly, I’ve pushed programmers to attend conferences that are outside their normal realm in the past because I think these help encourage creative problem-solving. For example, I’ve sent C++ programmers to Eiffel conferences even though that company had no possibility of doing Eiffel programming. It just helps people learn to approach problems differently. That’s a good benefit to encouraging time away from the mainline project.

> [...]

                I'll
                > encourage teams to pull in about 100 hours each of identified
                backlog.
                > The rest is spent on whatever else takes up that team's day
                (meetings,
                > email, washing my car, etc.) but it also puts them into a mode
                right off
                > where there isn't undue pressure that leads to shortcuts. This is
                > different from commitment to the project, though. The team is
                expected
                > to be committed to the project 100% but slack is allowed in their
                > schedules because they are all trusted to know how best to spend
                that
                > time.  DeMarco's latest book, "Slack" appropriately enough, is
                pretty
                > good on the subject but gets pretty repetitious by the end.

              • Mike Cohn
                Message 7 of 29 , Feb 9, 2002

                  You’re right—there can be problems with telling individuals on a team that the Friday afternoon “should” or “must” be spent off the project. I’ve never had a programmer consider it “arm-twisting” though. Usually what happens is that the programmer knows that Friday afternoon is his for anything remotely related to work as long as he has made respectable progress on his assignments and almost every programmer I’ve worked with will do whatever they can to be able to have that time for pursuing their own special interests.

                  Of course I’ve never truly forced a programmer not to work on the main project and work on outside things. If a project is behind, desperately needs a few hours, or was going to be in a position where people were going to come in over the weekend (rather voluntarily or not) it would be criminal to tell people not to code on Friday but to be in on Saturday. My comment about telling people that I don’t want them to work on the mainline task is more to fully get the point across that they are not going to impress me with their dedication or commitment by working on the project on Friday afternoon in most cases. With most developers it is very hard to convince them of your sincerity when you tell them you would really rather have them with their feet pitched up reading a good book or contributing to an open source project or such for that few hours a week.

                  Also, I want to be clear that I started my comment with “I’ve dealt with this two ways in the past…”.  While I think giving people dedicated time to pursue beneficial tasks outside the mainline project it is not how I’ve been doing it with teams over the past few years. I actually find it much better to just underallocate tasks to the sprint and establish a culture where people know it is OK to spend a little time each week (as appropriate, depending on where the project is and how the sprint is going) on unplanned tasks. However, it is not easy to establish this as part of the culture in most organizations, usually there’s a CEO or CFO or someone who walks around asking “why isn’t Johnny coding?”

                  --- Mike Cohn <mike@...> wrote:
> [...]

                  > into a sprint
                  > backlog. So: if the sprint is 20 days * 8 hours that
                  > is 160 hours. I'll
                  > encourage teams to pull in about 100 hours each of
                  > identified backlog.
                  > The rest is spent on whatever else takes up that
                  > team's day (meetings,
                  > email, washing my car, etc.) but it also puts them
                  > into a mode right off
                  > where there isn't undue pressure that leads to
                  > shortcuts. This is
                  > different from commitment to the project, though.
                  > The team is expected
                  > to be committed to the project 100% but slack is
                  > allowed in their
                  > schedules because they are all trusted to know how
                  > best to spend that
                  > time.  DeMarco's latest book, "Slack" appropriately
                  > enough, is pretty
                  > good on the subject but gets pretty repetitious by

                • mpoppendieck
                  Message 8 of 29 , Feb 10, 2002
> [...]
                    > this two ways in the past.". While I think giving people
                    dedicated time
                    > to pursue beneficial tasks outside the mainline project it is not
                    how
                    > I've been doing it with teams over the past few years. I actually
                    find
                    > it much better to just underallocate tasks to the sprint and
                    establish a
                    > culture where people know it is OK to spend a little time each
                    week (as
                    > appropriate, depending on where the project is and how the sprint
                    is
                    > going) on unplanned tasks. However, it is not easy to establish
                    this as
                    > part of the culture in most organizations, usually there's a CEO
                    or CFO
                    > or someone who walks around asking "why isn't Johnny coding?"

                    <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=221000.1882886.3382503.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1
                    707
                    > 209021:HM/A=965714/R=0/O=1/I=brandr-promo-flowersale-alerts-
                    lrecm/*http:
                    > /shopping.yahoo.com/promotions/flowers/index.html>
                    >

                    > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
                    M=221000.1882886.3382503.1261774/D=egrou
                    > pmail/S=1707209021:HM/A=965714/rand=548790149>

                  • Paul Clanton
                    Message 9 of 29 , Feb 11, 2002

                      With Mary’s subsequent clarification, I agree that the difference is significant.  The way I’ve treated the sabbatical in the past is pretty much as you’ve described it, namely outside the team and outside the backlogs for a concentrated stretch.

                      Message 10 of 29 , Feb 11, 2002

                        I think Mike’s just touched on one of the major issues.  All the good ideas we have been tossing around (and they _are_ all good) depend heavily on the culture of the organization.  What works in one organization may not work in another.  3M’s 15% works because it’s a part of their culture.  The sabbatical worked for me because it fit the culture of the organization I’d worked for at the time.  Mike’s Friday afternoon idea worked with the culture at one place but not another.

                        We’re really talking about encouraging innovation.  If the culture doesn’t support innovation then none of what we’re talking about may be possible.  In this case, I would suggest either working very hard to change that culture or starting to look for another job before the company folds!  On the other hand, if the company does support innovation, one of these approaches may be a good solution.

                        I personally favor the sabbatical approach for the same reasons that I find Scrum works well for me, namely that it promotes a concentrated, uninterrupted time for people to become immersed in something.  However, the central theme is encouraging innovation by allowing people time to do something outside of their regular project tasks and that’s more important than the mechanics.  Find something that works and consistently push at it.

                        --- Mike Cohn <mike@...> wrote:

> [...]

                        > into a sprint
                        > backlog. So: if the sprint is 20 days * 8 hours that
                        > is 160 hours. I'll
                        > encourage teams to pull in about 100 hours each of
                        > identified backlog.
                        > The rest is spent on whatever else takes up that
                        > team's day (meetings,
                        > email, washing my car, etc.) but it also puts them
                        > into a mode right off
                        > where there isn't undue pressure that leads to
                        > shortcuts. This is
                        > different from commitment to the project, though.
                        > The team is expected
                        > to be committed to the project 100% but slack is
                        > allowed in their
                        > schedules because they are all trusted to know how
                        > best to spend that
                        > time.  DeMarco's latest book, "Slack" appropriately
                        > enough, is pretty
                        > good on the subject but gets pretty repetitious by

                      • Jonas Bengtsson
                        Message 11 of 29 , Feb 20, 2002
                          Hi all,

                          I'm going to write a paper about product-lines (for a course called
                          product-line architecture). So I thought of writing about how product-lins
                          are managed in agile development. Most literature I've read state that a
                          planned BDUF is the only way to go.
                          * Are there any articles etc that describes how to deal with product-lines
                          in agile development?
                          * Does anyone have any experiences with product-lines in agile development?

                          Thanks in advance,
                          Jonas
                        • mpoppendieck
                          Message 12 of 29 , Feb 21, 2002
                            Jonas,

                            You might want to check out the following page, titled 'Lean
                            Design', on my web site:

                            http://www.poppendieck.com/design.htm

                            A good article to check out is "How Microsoft Makes Large Teams Work
                            Like Small Teams", Michael Cusumano, Sloan Management Review, Fall
                            1997 which is an excerpt of the book "Microsoft Secrets" by the same
                            author.

                            Another good source of information is material on how Toyota does
                            new product development. Since Toyota is by far the most agile
                            automobile developer, I think you can learn a lot from how they
                            develop products. Some of the more relevant articles are:

                            The Second Toyota Paradox: How Delaying Decisions Can Make Better
                            Cars Faster, Sloan Management Review, Spring `95, Allen Ward,
                            Jeffrey Liker, John Cristiano, Durward Sobek

                            Another Look at how Toyota Integrates Product Development, Durward
                            Sobek, Jeffrey Liker, Allen Ward, Harvard Business Review, July-
                            August, 1998.

                            Toyota's Principles of Set-Based Concurrent Engineering, Sloan
                            Management Review, Winter `99, Sobek, Allen, Liker

                            You basically need access to a business library to get at these
                            articles, but they are very good.

                            --- In scrumdevelopment@y..., "Jonas Bengtsson" <jonas.b@h...> wrote:
                            > Hi all,
                            >
                            > I'm going to write a paper about product-lines (for a course called
                            > product-line architecture). So I thought of writing about how
                            product-lins
                            > are managed in agile development. Most literature I've read state
                            that a
                            > planned BDUF is the only way to go.
                            > * Are there any articles etc that describes how to deal with
                            product-lines
                            > in agile development?
                            > * Does anyone have any experiences with product-lines in agile
                            development?

                            > Thanks in advance,
                            > Jonas
                          • Jonas Bengtsson
                            Message 13 of 29 , Feb 25, 2002
                              Thank you Mary!
                              I found all the articles except "Another Look at how Toyota Integrates
                              Product Development". I will look into all the articles later!

                              /Jonas