Re: mention of Scrum in "Software Development"

  • woynam
    Message 1 of 40 , Nov 12, 2003
      Ken,

      Can you please provide the references that detail the full
      software development methodology behind Scrum? I've studied
      and used Scrum for years, (including reading the book :-), and
      I have to agree with Scott. I don't see much in the way of
      engineering practices, other than letting the team do their
      thing.

      Having tailored and used RUP in a lightweight fashion, I don't
      see Scrum addressing many of the artifacts and workflows
      necessary to get from requirements to tested software, whether
      formal or informal. If you have a group of experienced engineers,
      this isn't necessarily that big of a deal. However, junior staff
      don't automatically know how to transition through the various
      stages. RUP's various templates, guidelines, etc. provide some
      form of a roadmap. Of course, if used without tailoring, RUP
      can certainly be labeled as anti-agile.

      Mark

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Schwaber"
      <ken.schwaber@v...> wrote:
      > I send an email to Scott that he seemed to be unaware that Scrum is
      a full
      > methodology and perhaps is unaware of it entirely other than
      anecdotally.
      > Perhaps nobody should be allowed to write about Scrum that isn't a CSM?
      > Ken

      I'd put
      > it pretty far to the Ad Hoc side.
      >

      > Placing it between Partial Methodology and Full Lifecycle is
      harder. Yes,
      > it's partial because it doesn't define how everything happens but it
      seems
      > fairly full lifecycle in that the path to a potentially shippable
      product
      > increment is defined. There's nothing in Scrum about how to end a
      project or
      > about how to handle a project in its earliest, pre-funding or
      exploratory
      > phases but some of that is what Ken's been adding in the CSM
      classes. Still,
      > I'd say it seems more toward the Full Lifecycle end of things than the
      > Partial Methodology end of things.
      >

      > Anyone else have any thoughts about Scott's article and placement of
      > Scrum?
      >

      > In any event, the article is quite good. The print issue is out
      now and
      > they seem to put the articles online at www.sdmagazine.com a few weeks
      > afterwards. (As a bonus, this issue has another great article-Bob Martin
      > showing how tracking velocity and product burndown help manage a
      project.)

      > --Mike

    • Jeff Sutherland
      Message 40 of 40 , Nov 14, 2003
        While I agree with Mike in general, it is of interest that the first Scrum
        was building an OOAD tool and we decided the team should eat their own
        dogfood. It was also the first round trip engineering tool.

        Every developer had the model of his components on his wall.

        Our senior consultant, Jeff McKenna, an ace Smalltalker, would walk into a
        cube and an hour later the model was in shreds on the floor. He had shown
        the developer how to refactor the model and eliminate half the code while
        enhancing performance and functionality.

        I've never seen another team that can operate at that level.

        Jeff