Re: Scrum & XP from the trenches - how we do Scrum

  • mnbluesguy
    Message 1 of 28 , May 9, 2007
      Hi,

      > So I'd second Hendrik's request to hear from others about their
      > experience with tools, while retaining my (healthy?) scepticism about
      > them adding a lot of value until we really understand Agile - perhaps
      > another year or two?

      We have been doing SCRUM for about 18 months, I have been here 12
      months. We used X-Planner for a while. That didn't work out. For a
      while we used Excel and story cards - which worked out well.

      We are now using TFS w/ plug in & story cards. Using story cards
      allows everyone to see how much work is left to do, how much is in
      process, and how much is done at a glance. We use TFS for our
      development environment and by having the plug in, the team can check
      in everything against specific stories. Since we live in SOX
      environment (and other outside auditing), the ability to trace
      delivered code changes to 'approved' requirements is very handy.

      We also get some useful charting tools which the managers can look at
      and get a 'feel' for the current status of the project.

      If I were going to start at a whole new company and they were getting
      started doing Agile, I would suggest that we use Excel & story cards.
      When the team was comfortable with those approaches and if TFS meets
      developers needs, I would suggest the same approach.

      I have been around long enough to have lived thru many tool
      revolutions. TFS is a pretty good tool for how we use it. The
      plug-in is useful as well. Neither one of them is perfect.