Re: [scrumdevelopment] mention of Scrum in "Software Development"

  • PaulOldfield1@compuserve.com
    Message 1 of 40 , Nov 10, 2003
      > Anyone else have any thoughts about Scott's article and
      > placement of Scrum?

      I think Scott's assessment is based on a perception of the
      range of 'Disciplines' (RUP terminology) that are explicitly
      addressed by the agile methodology in question. Thus
      Scrum is perceived to be chiefly concerned with PM discipline,
      AM is perceived to be concerned with A&D, FDD is
      perceived to be concerned with Requirements, A&D, Code
      and Test.

      I guess we all tend to think that *our* area of interest is the
      one that really matters.

      Paul Oldfield

      www.aptprocess.com

      any opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of
      Mentors of Cally or the Appropriate Process Movement
    • Jeff Sutherland
      Message 40 of 40 , Nov 14, 2003
        While I agree with Mike in general, it is of interest that the first Scrum
        was building an OOAD tool and we decided the team should eat their own
        dogfood. It was also the first round trip engineering tool.

        Every developer had the model of his components on his wall.

        Our senior consultant, Jeff McKenna, an ace Smalltalker, would walk into a
        cube and an hour later the model was in shreds on the floor. He had shown
        the developer how to refactor the model and eliminate half the code while
        enhancing performance and functionality.

        I've never seen another team that can operate at that level.

        Jeff