Re: Process Same As Methodology./Methods..?

  • Mike Beedle
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 5, 2003
      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Bishop, Murray"
      > You and David are in company with the third edition of The
      > New Elizabethan Reference Dictionary - "an up-to-date vocabulary
      > of the language as spoken and written in the mid-twentieth
      > century", which contains:
      >
      > method [F. methode, L. methodus, Gr. Methodos (METH, hodos, way)],
      > n. Mode of procedure, way or order of doing; an orderly,
      > systematic, or logical arrangement; orderliness, system; a system
      > or the basis of a system of classification.
      >
      > methodology, n. (Log.) The branch of logic dealing with the methods
      > of accurate thinking.

      Murray:

      I was told those same definitions by Ed Berard circa 1989. Even back
      then Ed was in disbelief of how abused the word "methodology" was
      within the software context.

      Clearly, we have been in some kind of "methodological"
      "dark ages" that started sometime after the word started to be abused
      in the software world almost 30 years ago -- starting with the
      abuse of the word,

      - Mike