Re: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum Vs Prince2

  • Mike Cohn
    Message 1 of 20 , May 1 3:50 PM
      Julian Harris's (great) blog has a very useful mapping between Scrum and Prince2. See:

      Regards,
      Mike Cohn
      Author:
        Agile Estimating and Planning
        User Stories Applied
      www.mountaingoatsoftware.com

      Message 2 of 20 , May 1 5:34 PM

        Is it just me - or does anyone else have a problem with this statement:

        "I find it particularly useful as Scrum is, at best, a skeleton that needs a lot of meat both inside, and in terms of topping and tailing a project."

        I wonder what he means by this.

        Nicholas

        On May 1, 2007, at 3:29 AM, bc purushotham wrote:

        Hi All,

        Can you please tell me what is the difference and
        similarities between Scrum and Prince2.

        Is is possible to use Scrum in prince2 project.

        Thanks,

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Ken Schwaber
        Message 3 of 20 , May 2 6:27 AM

          His way of forcing the two together. The matrix that Mike referred to was not helpful,

          Ken

          Is it just me - or does anyone else have a problem with this statement:

          "I find it particularly useful as Scrum is, at best, a skeleton that needs a lot of meat both inside, and in terms of topping and tailing a project."

          I wonder what he means by this.

          Nicholas

          On May 1, 2007, at 3:29 AM, bc purushotham wrote:

          Hi All,

          Can you please tell me what is the difference and
          similarities between Scrum and Prince2.

          Is is possible to use Scrum in prince2 project.

          Thanks,

          Do You Yahoo!?
          http://mail. yahoo.com

        • dnicolet99
          Message 4 of 20 , May 2 8:12 AM
            I don't know what *he* means by it, but I think it's correct to say
            that Scrum is intentionally lightweight and allows for any sort of
            iterative process to be used along with it.

            It's significant that he writes, "at best." I think that gives away a
            bias on his part. I've noticed that sometimes people criticize Scrum
            because it omits methodological details; as I see it, that's a
            strength of Scrum, not a weakness. If someone is just looking for a
            project management cookbook, then they may find Scrum doesn't give
            them enough specific guidance for their needs.

            Dave

            --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Nicholas Cancelliere
            <nickaustin74@...> wrote:

            > Is it just me - or does anyone else have a problem with this statement:
            >
            > "I find it particularly useful as Scrum is, at best, a skeleton that
            > needs a lot of meat both inside, and in terms of topping and tailing
            > a project."
            >
            > I wonder what he means by this.
            >

            > Nicholas
            >

            > On May 1, 2007, at 3:29 AM, bc purushotham wrote:
            >
            > > Hi All,
            > >
            > > Can you please tell me what is the difference and
            > > similarities between Scrum and Prince2.
            > >
            > > Is is possible to use Scrum in prince2 project.
            > >
            > > Thanks,

            > > http://mail.yahoo.com

          • Ken Schwaber
            Message 5 of 20 , May 2 9:50 AM

              Dave,

              We specifically leave off the guidance or prescription to leave the people free and responsible for managing for value, Sprint by Sprint. We break the management role into three parts:

              1. The team is responsible for managing itself.
              2. The ScrumMaster is responsible for managing the Process
              3. The Product Owner is responsible for managing the Product Backlog, or “What” to maximize value. The PO tells the team what to do, the team figures out how to do it.

              In the matrix, you give a lot of responsibility to the ScrumMaster that they don’t own. They aren’t a replacement project manager. They are simply a process manager and change agent.

              Scrum doesn’t leave out project management methodological details to have them filled in by other methodologies. It relies on the above three groups to fill them in based on their knowledge, the circumstances, and their intelligence. Scrum relies on a feedback loop for them to improve, not external directions.

              Ken

              <nickaustin74@ ...> wrote:

              > Is it just me - or does anyone else have a problem with this statement:
              >
              > "I find it particularly useful as Scrum is, at best, a skeleton that
              > needs a lot of meat both inside, and in terms of topping and tailing
              > a project."
              >
              > I wonder what he means by this.
              >

              > Nicholas
              >

              > On May 1, 2007, at 3:29 AM, bc purushotham wrote:
              >
              > > Hi All,
              > >
              > > Can you please tell me what is the difference and
              > > similarities between Scrum and Prince2.
              > >
              > > Is is possible to use Scrum in prince2 project.
              > >
              > > Thanks,

              > > Do You Yahoo!?
              > > http://mail. yahoo.com

            • dnicolet99
              Message 6 of 20 , May 2 11:06 AM
                Ken,

                Thanks for the explanation.

                > We specifically leave off the guidance or prescription to leave the
                people
                > free and responsible for managing for value, Sprint by Sprint. We
                break the
                > management role into three parts:
                >
                > 1. The team is responsible for managing itself.
                > 2. The ScrumMaster is responsible for managing the Process
                > 3. The Product Owner is responsible for managing the Product Backlog,
                > or "What" to maximize value. The PO tells the team what to do, the team
                > figures out how to do it.
                >

                > In the matrix, you give a lot of responsibility to the ScrumMaster
                that they
                > don't own. They aren't a replacement project manager. They are simply a
                > process manager and change agent.

                Well, it isn't my matrix. I do think it reflects reality in many
                cases. It's not always possible to act strictly as a process manager
                and change agent because in many cases management doesn't recognize
                the need for that role as distinct from the PM role. Even though
                that's less than ideal, when we have an opportunity to effect positive
                change it seems to me we ought to try.

                > Scrum doesn't leave out project management methodological details to
                have
                > them filled in by other methodologies. It relies on the above three
                groups
                > to fill them in based on their knowledge, the circumstances, and their
                > intelligence. Scrum relies on a feedback loop for them to improve, not
                > external directions.

                Thanks for the clarification. I suspect many people miss that
                particular point. Maybe that's why some people say Scrum is
                incomplete. It demands a certain level of maturity on the part of team
                members and management. They may be unaccustomed to that, since
                conventional processes are prescriptive.

                Dave
              • Ken Schwaber
                Message 7 of 20 , May 2 4:24 PM

                  It does require a certain level of maturity. If it isn’t there, it exposes the consequences so the shortfalls can be addressed based on the severity of consequences. The traditional PM approach says, “here it is, do it all and you’ll be fine.” Scrum says, “do it, and you’ll soon know where you are really in trouble so you can specifically address those areas first.”

                  Best wishes,  Dave,

                  Ken

                  > We specifically leave off the guidance or prescription to leave the
                  people
                  > free and responsible for managing for value, Sprint by Sprint. We
                  break the
                  > management role into three parts:
                  >
                  > 1. The team is responsible for managing itself.
                  > 2. The ScrumMaster is responsible for managing the Process
                  > 3. The Product Owner is responsible for managing the Product Backlog,
                  > or "What" to maximize value. The PO
                  tells the team what to do, the team
                  > figures out how to do it.
                  >

                  > In the matrix, you give a lot of responsibility to the ScrumMaster
                  that they
                  > don't own. They aren't a replacement project manager. They are simply a
                  > process manager and change agent.

                  Well, it isn't my matrix. I do think it reflects reality in many
                  cases. It's not always possible to act strictly as a process manager
                  and change agent because in many cases management doesn't recognize
                  the need for that role as distinct from the PM role. Even though
                  that's less than ideal, when we have an opportunity to effect positive
                  change it seems to me we ought to try.

                  > Scrum doesn't leave out project management methodological details to
                  have
                  > them filled in by other methodologies. It relies on the above three
                  groups
                  > to fill them in based on their knowledge, the circumstances, and their
                  > intelligence. Scrum relies on a feedback loop for them to improve, not
                  > external directions.

                  Thanks for the clarification. I suspect many people miss that
                  particular point. Maybe that's why some people say Scrum is
                  incomplete. It demands a certain level of maturity on the part of team
                  members and management. They may be unaccustomed to that, since
                  conventional processes are prescriptive.

                  Dave

                • srinivas chillara
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 2 9:36 PM
                    > I've noticed that sometimes people
                    > criticize Scrum
                    > because it omits methodological details; as I see
                    > it, that's a
                    > strength of Scrum, not a weakness.

                    Agreed.

                    However, Don't you think a projecgt management
                    cookbook, or guide etc, could be useful!?!
                    (here I am not criticising what you've written below,
                    I'm just wondering).
                    >If someone is
                    > just looking for a
                    > project management cookbook, then they may find
                    > Scrum doesn't give
                    > them enough specific guidance for their needs.

                    The traditional C-and-C means of executing projects
                    (in an IT setting) must be having something in value
                    for us. Maynot be the general Command and control
                    approach, but some aspects. Maybe the way QC is set up
                    independantly, more likely risk management, etc.

                    Regards
                    Cheenie

                    Send a FREE SMS to your friend's mobile from Yahoo! Messenger. Get it now at http://in.messenger.yahoo.com/
                  • David H.
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 3 12:54 AM
                      > The traditional C-and-C means of executing projects
                      > (in an IT setting) must be having something in value
                      > for us. Maynot be the general Command and control
                      > approach, but some aspects. Maybe the way QC is set up
                      > independantly, more likely risk management, etc.

                      It in deed does, even though that only happens on a psychological
                      level. C&C structures allows to perceive an illusion of control. We
                      like to be in control, it makes us feel safe and, you guessed it, in
                      control. Unfortunately that does not work for complex systems, still
                      be try to believe that we can command and control those environment,
                      because operating in a more free and less controlled manner makes us
                      feel uneasy.

                      But I could not explain this better than the many blogs and books that
                      have been written on this topic already.

                      benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu
                    • dnicolet99
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 3 4:17 AM
                        Hi Cheenie,

                        Philosophically, I agree with Ken on this. I don't think the
                        command-and-control approach works very well at all. I think a process
                        cookbook can easily become a crutch.

                        When a process cookbook is useful, it's only as a fallback position
                        for organizations that lack the maturity to work with a lightweight
                        framework like Scrum. Unfortunately, at the moment most organizations
                        fall into that category.

                        I hesitate to call a process cookbook "useful," because the choice of
                        words might be understood to mean I think it's "just as good." Rather
                        than "useful," I might say a process cookbook is "better than
                        nothing," or perhaps that it can be a pragmatic interim approach along
                        the way toward agility, provided people don't become too comfortable
                        with it and therefore cease to pursue continuous improvement.

                        When you say command-and-control must have something useful for us, I
                        wonder if it is an assumption based on the fact that things have been
                        done that way for such a long time. It's hard to accept the idea that
                        very smart people have been working in a suboptimal way, on purpose,
                        for decades on end.

                        Yet the Chaos Report for 1994, prior to widespread acceptance of Scrum
                        and other methods we now call "agile," indicates traditional-style IT
                        projects enjoyed a success rate under 20%. It determined most IT
                        projects were "challenged," which is a politically correct way to say
                        they did not deliver the expected value and did not come in on
                        schedule or on budget. That's where command-and-control will take you.

                        Separation of QC or QA isn't an aspect of command-and-control, it's
                        just a way of organizing the work. I'm not so sure QC or QA should be
                        as separate as it often is, anyway. Most of the work QC/QA specialists
                        do can be integrated directly into the development process and testers
                        can develop professionally along the lines of generalizing
                        specialists, just as developers are doing.

                        Risk management is something that must be done on all projects, but I
                        don't think it is connected with command-and-control vs agile
                        management. It's just part of the work to be done.

                        Dave

                        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, srinivas chillara

                        Message 11 of 20 , May 3 6:28 AM

                          Absolutely … the best guides are all of the books that have been published over the years, such as risk management. The moment it becomes a guide it becomes stepwise and restrictive, in my experience.

                          Ken

                          Message 12 of 20 , May 7 12:18 AM
                            > The moment
                            > it becomes a guide it
                            > becomes stepwise and restrictive, in my experience.

                            Aha! But such guide, in hands of sublime experts, like
                            yours truly, don't become restrictive. No one can say
                            I am not cheeky.

                            But seriously, I see what you are saying, once it is
                            codified, it becomes restrictive, except for people
                            who have participated in it's codification, or maybe
                            the very few who truly "get it".

                            Cheenie

                            http://in.answers.yahoo.com/
                          • srinivas chillara
                            Message 13 of 20 , May 7 12:24 AM

                              > Separation of QC or QA isn't an aspect of
                              > command-and-control, it's
                              > just a way of organizing the work. I'm not so sure
                              > QC or QA should be
                              > as separate as it often is, anyway. Most of the work
                              > QC/QA specialists
                              > do can be integrated directly into the development
                              > process and testers
                              > can develop professionally along the lines of
                              > generalizing
                              > specialists, just as developers are doing.
                              >
                              > Risk management is something that must be done on
                              > all projects, but I
                              > don't think it is connected with command-and-control
                              > vs agile
                              > management. It's just part of the work to be done.

                              When you seperate things so clearly, it is difficult
                              to disagree.
                              I meant that ideas which might have come up, or/and
                              matured during the development of C-C methodologies or
                              during those days, have value. Like "Risk mgmt" etc.

                              About seperation of QA/QC and dev, yes we can argue
                              for a while over that, but I'll leave it for another
                              thread.
                              In any case I found what you've written useful (in a
                              positive sense).

                              cheers
                              Cheenie

                              Office firewalls, cyber cafes, college labs, don't allow you to download CHAT? Click here: http://in.messenger.yahoo.com/webmessengerpromo.php
                            • srinivas chillara
                              Message 14 of 20 , May 7 5:02 AM
                                > Risk management is something that must be done on
                                > all projects, but I
                                > don't think it is connected with command-and-control
                                > vs agile
                                > management. It's just part of the work to be done.
                                > Dave

                                Agreed, anyway I usually don't see things as
                                Agile.vs.something or the other.

                                Hello Dave,
                                On second thoughts, let's not call it a "cookbook" but
                                "practice guideline".
                                And now have "risk mgmt", perhaps we can use it in the
                                context of Scrum?

                                This is situation that I've been through sometime ago.
                                I was a coach for a team (six good men) implementing
                                Scrum for the first time. We planned the first sprint
                                (4 week), and things went well for about a week. It
                                was important to show good progress to the higher
                                mgmt.
                                After about a week, the PO pushed off on leave
                                (holiday) for 2 weeks. Then just before he returned
                                the Scrum master took a week off, and so did another
                                team member a bit earlier. Ofcourse this impacted the
                                performance of the team for the sprint. They did quite
                                OK. However these exptended holidays of 3 people
                                during the same sprint was a nasty surprise. Actually
                                these people knew they were off on leave, jsut no one
                                thought it important enought to announce! (I know
                                amazing) These leaves were not taken into account
                                during the sprint planning. I think had we done a
                                quick risk assessment (ie rsk mgmt) we would have
                                planned better.

                                Now I am writing a small (one or two pager) Scrum
                                implemnetation guide for the company, so they can
                                think of things to cover while they run their sprint.
                                Like, all team member udate on significant leaves to
                                they are about to be taken that month. I am calling
                                this a "Scrum-running Guide"
                                What's your opinion on this. Should I circulate such a
                                guide for the benifit of the company. To a wider
                                public, or is it not such a good idea? Will this make
                                Scrum more codified/prescriprive/"cookbookish"!?!

                                yours in doubt

                                Message 15 of 20 , May 8 5:46 AM
                                  <ceezone@...> wrote:

                                  > However these exptended holidays of 3 people
                                  > during the same sprint was a nasty surprise. Actually
                                  > these people knew they were off on leave, jsut no one
                                  > thought it important enought to announce! (I know
                                  > amazing) These leaves were not taken into account
                                  > during the sprint planning. I think had we done a
                                  > quick risk assessment (ie rsk mgmt) we would have
                                  > planned better.

                                  You're right to say the problem is that the leave was not taken into
                                  consideration during sprint planning. However, it is not a question of
                                  risk management. It is not a business risk for employees to take
                                  leave. It's normal.

                                  What I've seen work well is for each team member to commit to a
                                  certain number of hours for the project as part of sprint planning. If
                                  we're working 40 hour weeks and we have 4 week sprints, then at most I
                                  can devote 160 hours to the project. If I'm planning 2 weeks of leave,
                                  then I must commit to 80 hours instead. That way, when the stories are
                                  sized and added to the sprint, the team won't overcommit.

                                  > Now I am writing a small (one or two pager) Scrum
                                  > implemnetation guide for the company, so they can
                                  > think of things to cover while they run their sprint.
                                  > Like, all team member udate on significant leaves to
                                  > they are about to be taken that month. I am calling
                                  > this a "Scrum-running Guide"
                                  > What's your opinion on this. Should I circulate such a
                                  > guide for the benifit of the company. To a wider
                                  > public, or is it not such a good idea? Will this make
                                  > Scrum more codified/prescriprive/"cookbookish"!?!

                                  It depends. If you try to include everything you can imagine and
                                  everything you've read about or heard about, then the guide will be
                                  justly ignored.

                                  If you include lessons learned in context, such as the problem of the
                                  "surprise" leave, then it will be relevant to your environment and
                                  people will find it helpful.

                                  I would also suggest that you make it a "living" document and update
                                  it after each retrospective or after "surprise" lessons are learned. I
                                  would further suggest that you never let the guide grow beyond one
                                  printed page in length. When you find you are just about to add an
                                  item that pushes the length over the one page limit, review the
                                  contents and look for items that can be removed. This will help ensure
                                  the guide remains relevant and useful while making it possible to post
                                  a copy on the wall of team rooms.

                                  > yours in doubt
                                  > Cheenie

                                  Yours doubtlessly,
                                  Dave
                                • Nicholas Cancelliere
                                  Message 16 of 20 , May 9 10:09 AM

                                    Anything that is "published," and can have a finger pointed at it, becomes this way.  "Look it says right here on page 33 that you must do step X before step Y."  Even though that might not work for your organization -- you'll get people who are more comfortable with the scapegoat.

                                    People stop thinking for themselves and instead look for something to tell them the solution.  Then accountability is rationalized away because, well -- "I was just doing what it says to in the book for this situation!"

                                    ...religion comes to mind when I think of this concept.

                                    Nicholas

                                    --
                                    Nicholas Cancelliere, Austin TX
                                    "The wide world is all about you: you can fence yourselves in, but you cannot for ever fence it out." -Gildor, Fellowship of the Ring (Lord of the Rings)
                                    Message 17 of 20 , May 9 10:20 AM

                                      When I read this thread I think of the Bible.  There are people who interpret it literally and there are people who read it and come away with base concepts.  I think with any written "code" of anything you have to interpret the intent or spirit of the thing described and go from there.

                                      Why do we have judges if we just live exactly by the letter of the law?  They are there to help interpret the law - to decide on how to apply the concept it embodies to specific situations.  This concept applies to anything really -- think for yourself.

                                      As a good Scrummaster, I think it is our job to enable everyone to their best thinking.  I don't want to be some cult leader where everyone submits to my interpretation of Scrum.  Instead I present concepts and ideas embodied by Scrum and Agile -- and then let the team run with it.

                                      The way we recognize a process as Scrum is by certain core practices, which we can't deviate from -- if we do then we arn't doing Scrum.   Is this bad?  Not necessarily ... if it works for the team.  I believe though that history is a great teacher, and there is no need to reinvent the wheel, and most "new" things a team dreams up actually have already been done and tried.  Stick with what historically has worked and then make adjustments based on your needs.

                                      I don't believe there is a "cookbook" approach.  In the past two years I've worked intimately with 4 different teams on implenting Scrum, and no two have been alike enough that I could "cookie cutter" an approach to adoption.

                                      Nicholas

                                      Message 18 of 20 , May 9 9:50 PM
                                        > I would also suggest that you make it a "living"
                                        > document and update
                                        > it after each retrospective or after "surprise"
                                        > lessons are learned. I
                                        > would further suggest that you never let the guide
                                        > grow beyond one
                                        > printed page in length. When you find you are just
                                        > about to add an
                                        > item that pushes the length over the one page limit,
                                        > review the
                                        > contents and look for items that can be removed.
                                        > This will help ensure
                                        > the guide remains relevant and useful while making
                                        > it possible to post
                                        > a copy on the wall of team rooms.
                                        >

                                        > > yours in doubt
                                        > > Cheenie
                                        > >

                                        > Yours doubtlessly,
                                        > Dave

                                        Thanks very much. I agree very much with limiting
                                        guides to a page or two. Most of the process
                                        definitions I suggest are of that length.

                                        Yours no-longer-in-doubt