Re: Splinter Department

  • mpoppendieck
    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 8, 2002
      The important thing about new product development at 3M is that
      the 'champion' of a new product develops a passion about that
      product, and inspires passion in others. It's very much like a
      new
      business venture. People who have a passion about something find
      the time to work on it, lunch time, come in early, stay late,
      weekends, whenever. People whose regular jobs get demanding simply
      spend less time on the `unofficial' project. The 15% is just
      term, it is not a hard and fast number. People do what they can,
      when they can, and are particularly careful not to let their regular
      jobs suffer.

      As an example, I led a team which met every week for 3 years at 7:30
      on Wednesday mornings. This was so regularly scheduled meetings,
      which tended to start at 8:30, would not interfere. At the end of
      the 3 years, attendance was averaging 25+ every single week, while
      there were less than 10 people officially assigned to the program.
      It was sort of like a Scrum meeting only it lasted about an hour.
      Almost everyone came to the weekly meeting; often that was the only
      thing that people did. But when they had an interest, could spare
      the time, and were needed, they would do more.

      People are very good about being dedicated to their regular jobs,
      and if they are totally captivated by their regular job, they are
      less likely to use any 15% time. Some people are bored by their
      jobs and some people just want to do new things. Having a way to
      get engaged with an endeavor of their own choosing gives these
      people a chance to follow a dream. At the same time – my
      observation – their regular work does not suffer at all. They
      are
      careful to be sure that their assignments get a fair share of their
      attention, perhaps *because* they had found a new interest in life,
      or perhaps in appreciation of being allowed to work on the new idea.

      There was really very little effort to track how scientists spend
      their time at 3M when I worked there. Sometimes government
      contracts required careful tracking, but in general, no one counted
      hours. I think that leaving the problem of handling a crisis to the
      people involved is the sensible approach. People who are motivated
      will do right by their employers and will come through when needed.
      Trying too hard to set up a structure is more or less an insult to
      the people who are capable of figuring this out for themselves.

      Mary

      --- In scrumdevelopment@y..., "Jonas Bengtsson" <jonas.b@h...> wrote:
      > How do you manage this when times get rough? For instance in the
      end of a
      > sprint when you realise that the group won't be able to fulfil its
      > commitment - do you allow the 15% than?
      > Won't adding such things to the backlog and reporting in the daily
      scrums
      > lead to unnecessary noise?
      > What kind of activities will you approve?
      >
      > /Jonas

    • Mike Beedle
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 9, 2002
        Mary wrote:
        > Mike, I don't think I explained the 15% rule well enough.
        > People are specifically NOT working on Backlog in their
        > 15% time. They are working on their own cool idea. Generally
        > it is not related to any projects they are assigned
        > to in the other 85% of their time. The whole point is
        > that people are free to tackle anything they are
        > interested in during this time. If they had to get
        > their idea from a Backlog, that would defeat the purpose.

        Mary:

        Thanks for the clarification.

        One of the promises that we make in Scrum is focus and
        commitment of every resources in delivering software
        according to the customer priorities. And the customer
        priorities are kept in the prioritized product backlog.

        So this would be difficult, but maybe not impossible in
        a traditional Scrum team.

        Paul's sabbatical would be more feasible, as long as the
        team member on sabbatical is _not_ in the Scrum team, he/she
        may spend time doing something else without dragging
        anyone with him/her,

        - Mike
      • Mike Beedle
        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 9, 2002
          Paul Clanton wrote:
          > In comparing Mary’s 3M approach and the sabbatical
          >idea I raised, I think the differences are
          >superficial. I suggested a two-week (i.e., 4%)
          >sabbatical _at least_ once a year. This does
          >not preclude spending 15% (i.e., 7.5 weeks).
          >I am not sure how 3M expects this time to be
          >allocated (e.g., continuous on a daily basis
          >or in chunks) but I personally favor chunking
          >it up. After all, continuous, short, uninterrupted
          >work is the essence of Scrum. Moreover, this
          >gives people time to recharge their work batteries
          >just as a vacation gives them time to recharge
          >their personal batteries.

          Paul,

          Sorry I didn't get the same idea after Mary's
          clarification:

          Isn't the sabbatical outside the team and
          the 15%-exploratory inside the team as Mary
          described it?

          (meta-comment "Here is my Scrum-centric mind
          taking over my hands.")

          This difference is significant. In Scrum, we
          promise that the team will be focused and committed
          and that it won't be working on anything else except
          the Sprint Backlog, (which of course came from the
          Product Backlog, and therefore came from
          Customer's priorities).

          I am starting to think the sabbatical is more
          compatible with Scrum, if the activities are
          not related to the customer's needs.

          OTOH, if they are, they should be in the Product
          Backlog, and prioritized and assigned to Sprint
          Backlog like any other task,

          - Mike
        • mpoppendieck
          Message 4 of 29 , Feb 9, 2002
            When people go home from work, they coach their kids sports or
            volunteer at church or train for triathlons or engage in other
            passions. We certainly don't expect them to give this up for
            work,
            except maybe temporarily in a crisis. Some people come home from
            working on a Scrum team and work on some Open Source code or put
            together a database for a boy scout troop, and so on. The point of
            the 15% rule is that people who get passionate about something other
            than their regular jobs (but related to their company interests) are
            encouraged to pursue the idea while on the job. By leveraging this
            kind of passion, 3M gets hundreds of new products every year.

            I wonder how we can expect every member of a Scrum team to be
            totally committed to do nothing but work on the backlog over the
            several months a project might run. It seems rather pretentious to
            assume this. I suspect that a well-led Scrum team will motivate all
            the team members to work only on the customer backlog. But if Scrum
            becomes a way of life in an organization, it seems to me that the
            organization should admit that some people on some Scrum teams might
            get distracted and want to do something else some of the time. If
            they can't do it at work, they will do it at home. 3M provides a
            simple mechanism to allow everyone some slack, so they can follow
            their passions at work, and in exchange, the company cashes in on
            the results.

            So I would argue that allowing (not scheduling, allowing) slack in
            everyone's normal schedule, instead of expecting everyone to be
            100%
            committed to what their management wants them to do, is a good
            thing.

            --- In scrumdevelopment@y..., "Mike Beedle" <beedlem@e...> wrote:

            > One of the promises that we make in Scrum is focus and
            > commitment of every resources in delivering software
            > according to the customer priorities. And the customer
            > priorities are kept in the prioritized product backlog.
            >
            > So this would be difficult, but maybe not impossible in
            > a traditional Scrum team.
            >
            > Paul's sabbatical would be more feasible, as long as the
            > team member on sabbatical is _not_ in the Scrum team, he/she
            > may spend time doing something else without dragging
            > anyone with him/her,
            >
            > - Mike
          • Mike Cohn
            Message 5 of 29 , Feb 9, 2002

              I’ve dealt with this two ways in the past:

              1)       allowing teams to take every Friday afternoon for use in pursuing any company they want *except* work on the main project to which they are assigned (whether Scrum-managed or not). This works well because it gives each person about 10% of their time to spend on any wild ideas they want. I’ve had individuals use this time for reading, for learning new languages, for “study groups” to go over important books in detail, to write magazine articles, etc. I don’t allow people to use the time to work on items in the current sprint backlog because sometimes that leads to peer pressure that forces others to work on the backlog.

              2)       There is almost always some “friction” or slow time between sprints at some point on a project. In a typically well-run project there might be 3 – 4 sprints that can follow one right after another but usually after that you hit a period where somebody isn’t really ready for a new round of sprints (or they’re barely ready). A lot of times this will be the product management group (or whatever group in an organization defines the backlog/requirements). They may need to go do research with customers (that should have been done sooner) or such and there is a period where the team just doesn’t need to go full speed on the project. This is a great time to encourage people to get creative with how they spend their time.

              Also, a fairly relevant question in all of this is whether most developers (programmers and otherwise) will come up with “new products” when left to their own devices for 15% of their time. It sounds like a small percentage of time but it’s not really and I’m not really sure it pays off to the benefits of a business to have every employee spend that much time “away” from mainline work.

              In terms of just plain including slack in a schedule, that is very much a necessity but it’s different from telling people to spend 15% of their time on whatever they want. Every team is of course different so percentages are somewhat meaningless but I typically encourage a team to target around 60-70% occupied when they move items into a sprint backlog. So: if the sprint is 20 days * 8 hours that is 160 hours. I’ll encourage teams to pull in about 100 hours each of identified backlog. The rest is spent on whatever else takes up that team’s day (meetings, email, washing my car, etc.) but it also puts them into a mode right off where there isn’t undue pressure that leads to shortcuts. This is different from commitment to the project, though. The team is expected to be committed to the project 100% but slack is allowed in their schedules because they are all trusted to know how best to spend that time.  DeMarco’s latest book, “Slack” appropriately enough, is pretty good on the subject but gets pretty repetitious by the end.

              --Mike

              Message 6 of 29 , Feb 9, 2002
                I like your idea of Friday afternoon slack time. On the other hand,
                as you noted, not everyone has something they want to pursue during
                such time. That's why at 3M it is 'allowable' to charge 'up to' 15%
                of your time on something outside your regular assignment. In
                actual practice, at any given time, only a few people actually do
                this. So if slack time is scheduled for everyone, you may loose
                more time than you can afford.

                I am reading between the lines a possible assumption that everyone
                must work the same hours as everyone else on the team. Is this
                considered necessary? Is there a problem with someone taking the
                odd afternoon off to do something else, or leaving for an unrelated
                meeting here and there? Is there a problem with someone coming in
                at 7 and leaving at 4, while someone else comes in at 10 and leaves
                at 7 (both on a regular basis)?

              • Paul
                Message 7 of 29 , Feb 9, 2002
                  You just took a good idea and made it a bad one. I
                  really don't like this arm-twisting idea that every
                  Friday you will work on something outside of your
                  project. What happens when spring goals are not being
                  met? The better idea was 3M which leaves the decision
                  up to the individual who has other commitments (
                  Sprint Goals ).

                  -- Paul

                  http://greetings.yahoo.com
                • Mike Cohn
                  Message 8 of 29 , Feb 9, 2002

                    Personally, I’ve always let people work the hours they want unless some big wig tells me I can’t allow that. Many of the companies I’ve worked with—especially over the past 7 years—have been distributed across more than one time zone. At that point it’s irrelevant when people work or are in the office. In practice I never really care when people take their time off the mainline project. “Friday afternoon” was more symbolic than anything else. Certainly if someone wanted to attend a product user’s group meeting or such out of the office I’ve encouraged that whenever it was scheduled. The idea was to have the person spend some company time doing things that indirectly, rather than directly, benefit the project. Reading magazines, articles, web sites, etc. all count in that direction. Similarly, I’ve pushed programmers to attend conferences that are outside their normal realm in the past because I think these help encourage creative problem-solving. For example, I’ve sent C++ programmers to Eiffel conferences even though that company had no possibility of doing Eiffel programming. It just helps people learn to approach problems differently. That’s a good benefit to encouraging time away from the mainline project.

> [...]

                    I'll
                    > encourage teams to pull in about 100 hours each of identified
                    backlog.
                    > The rest is spent on whatever else takes up that team's day
                    (meetings,
                    > email, washing my car, etc.) but it also puts them into a mode
                    right off
                    > where there isn't undue pressure that leads to shortcuts. This is
                    > different from commitment to the project, though. The team is
                    expected
                    > to be committed to the project 100% but slack is allowed in their
                    > schedules because they are all trusted to know how best to spend
                    that
                    > time.  DeMarco's latest book, "Slack" appropriately enough, is
                    pretty
                    > good on the subject but gets pretty repetitious by the end.

                  • Mike Cohn
                    Message 9 of 29 , Feb 9, 2002

                      You’re right—there can be problems with telling individuals on a team that the Friday afternoon “should” or “must” be spent off the project. I’ve never had a programmer consider it “arm-twisting” though. Usually what happens is that the programmer knows that Friday afternoon is his for anything remotely related to work as long as he has made respectable progress on his assignments and almost every programmer I’ve worked with will do whatever they can to be able to have that time for pursuing their own special interests.

                      Of course I’ve never truly forced a programmer not to work on the main project and work on outside things. If a project is behind, desperately needs a few hours, or was going to be in a position where people were going to come in over the weekend (rather voluntarily or not) it would be criminal to tell people not to code on Friday but to be in on Saturday. My comment about telling people that I don’t want them to work on the mainline task is more to fully get the point across that they are not going to impress me with their dedication or commitment by working on the project on Friday afternoon in most cases. With most developers it is very hard to convince them of your sincerity when you tell them you would really rather have them with their feet pitched up reading a good book or contributing to an open source project or such for that few hours a week.

                      Also, I want to be clear that I started my comment with “I’ve dealt with this two ways in the past…”.  While I think giving people dedicated time to pursue beneficial tasks outside the mainline project it is not how I’ve been doing it with teams over the past few years. I actually find it much better to just underallocate tasks to the sprint and establish a culture where people know it is OK to spend a little time each week (as appropriate, depending on where the project is and how the sprint is going) on unplanned tasks. However, it is not easy to establish this as part of the culture in most organizations, usually there’s a CEO or CFO or someone who walks around asking “why isn’t Johnny coding?”

                      --- Mike Cohn <mike@...> wrote:
> [...]

                      > into a sprint
                      > backlog. So: if the sprint is 20 days * 8 hours that
                      > is 160 hours. I'll
                      > encourage teams to pull in about 100 hours each of
                      > identified backlog.
                      > The rest is spent on whatever else takes up that
                      > team's day (meetings,
                      > email, washing my car, etc.) but it also puts them
                      > into a mode right off
                      > where there isn't undue pressure that leads to
                      > shortcuts. This is
                      > different from commitment to the project, though.
                      > The team is expected
                      > to be committed to the project 100% but slack is
                      > allowed in their
                      > schedules because they are all trusted to know how
                      > best to spend that
                      > time.  DeMarco's latest book, "Slack" appropriately
                      > enough, is pretty
                      > good on the subject but gets pretty repetitious by

                    • mpoppendieck
                      Message 10 of 29 , Feb 10, 2002
> [...]
                        > this two ways in the past.". While I think giving people
                        dedicated time
                        > to pursue beneficial tasks outside the mainline project it is not
                        how
                        > I've been doing it with teams over the past few years. I actually
                        find
                        > it much better to just underallocate tasks to the sprint and
                        establish a
                        > culture where people know it is OK to spend a little time each
                        week (as
                        > appropriate, depending on where the project is and how the sprint
                        is
                        > going) on unplanned tasks. However, it is not easy to establish
                        this as
                        > part of the culture in most organizations, usually there's a CEO
                        or CFO
                        > or someone who walks around asking "why isn't Johnny coding?"

                        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=221000.1882886.3382503.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1
                        707
                        > 209021:HM/A=965714/R=0/O=1/I=brandr-promo-flowersale-alerts-
                        lrecm/*http:
                        > /shopping.yahoo.com/promotions/flowers/index.html>
                        >

                        > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
                        M=221000.1882886.3382503.1261774/D=egrou
                        > pmail/S=1707209021:HM/A=965714/rand=548790149>

                      • Paul Clanton
                        Message 11 of 29 , Feb 11, 2002

                          With Mary’s subsequent clarification, I agree that the difference is significant.  The way I’ve treated the sabbatical in the past is pretty much as you’ve described it, namely outside the team and outside the backlogs for a concentrated stretch.

                          Message 12 of 29 , Feb 11, 2002

                            I think Mike’s just touched on one of the major issues.  All the good ideas we have been tossing around (and they _are_ all good) depend heavily on the culture of the organization.  What works in one organization may not work in another.  3M’s 15% works because it’s a part of their culture.  The sabbatical worked for me because it fit the culture of the organization I’d worked for at the time.  Mike’s Friday afternoon idea worked with the culture at one place but not another.

                            We’re really talking about encouraging innovation.  If the culture doesn’t support innovation then none of what we’re talking about may be possible.  In this case, I would suggest either working very hard to change that culture or starting to look for another job before the company folds!  On the other hand, if the company does support innovation, one of these approaches may be a good solution.

                            I personally favor the sabbatical approach for the same reasons that I find Scrum works well for me, namely that it promotes a concentrated, uninterrupted time for people to become immersed in something.  However, the central theme is encouraging innovation by allowing people time to do something outside of their regular project tasks and that’s more important than the mechanics.  Find something that works and consistently push at it.

                            --- Mike Cohn <mike@...> wrote:

> [...]

                            > into a sprint
                            > backlog. So: if the sprint is 20 days * 8 hours that
                            > is 160 hours. I'll
                            > encourage teams to pull in about 100 hours each of
                            > identified backlog.
                            > The rest is spent on whatever else takes up that
                            > team's day (meetings,
                            > email, washing my car, etc.) but it also puts them
                            > into a mode right off
                            > where there isn't undue pressure that leads to
                            > shortcuts. This is
                            > different from commitment to the project, though.
                            > The team is expected
                            > to be committed to the project 100% but slack is
                            > allowed in their
                            > schedules because they are all trusted to know how
                            > best to spend that
                            > time.  DeMarco's latest book, "Slack" appropriately
                            > enough, is pretty
                            > good on the subject but gets pretty repetitious by

                          • Jonas Bengtsson
                            Message 13 of 29 , Feb 20, 2002
                              Hi all,

                              I'm going to write a paper about product-lines (for a course called
                              product-line architecture). So I thought of writing about how product-lins
                              are managed in agile development. Most literature I've read state that a
                              planned BDUF is the only way to go.
                              * Are there any articles etc that describes how to deal with product-lines
                              in agile development?
                              * Does anyone have any experiences with product-lines in agile development?

                              Thanks in advance,
                              Jonas
                            • mpoppendieck
                              Message 14 of 29 , Feb 21, 2002
                                Jonas,

                                You might want to check out the following page, titled 'Lean
                                Design', on my web site:

                                http://www.poppendieck.com/design.htm

                                A good article to check out is "How Microsoft Makes Large Teams Work
                                Like Small Teams", Michael Cusumano, Sloan Management Review, Fall
                                1997 which is an excerpt of the book "Microsoft Secrets" by the same
                                author.

                                Another good source of information is material on how Toyota does
                                new product development. Since Toyota is by far the most agile
                                automobile developer, I think you can learn a lot from how they
                                develop products. Some of the more relevant articles are:

                                The Second Toyota Paradox: How Delaying Decisions Can Make Better
                                Cars Faster, Sloan Management Review, Spring `95, Allen Ward,
                                Jeffrey Liker, John Cristiano, Durward Sobek

                                Another Look at how Toyota Integrates Product Development, Durward
                                Sobek, Jeffrey Liker, Allen Ward, Harvard Business Review, July-
                                August, 1998.

                                Toyota's Principles of Set-Based Concurrent Engineering, Sloan
                                Management Review, Winter `99, Sobek, Allen, Liker

                                You basically need access to a business library to get at these
                                articles, but they are very good.

                                --- In scrumdevelopment@y..., "Jonas Bengtsson" <jonas.b@h...> wrote:
                                > Hi all,
                                >
                                > I'm going to write a paper about product-lines (for a course called
                                > product-line architecture). So I thought of writing about how
                                product-lins
                                > are managed in agile development. Most literature I've read state
                                that a
                                > planned BDUF is the only way to go.
                                > * Are there any articles etc that describes how to deal with
                                product-lines
                                > in agile development?
                                > * Does anyone have any experiences with product-lines in agile
                                development?

                                > Thanks in advance,
                                > Jonas
                              • Jonas Bengtsson
                                Message 15 of 29 , Feb 25, 2002
                                  Thank you Mary!
                                  I found all the articles except "Another Look at how Toyota Integrates
                                  Product Development". I will look into all the articles later!

                                  /Jonas