RE: [scrumdevelopment] Tools, Tools, Scrum Tools!

  • Ken Schwaber
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 3, 2003
      You need to send the new manager to the certified scrummaster class so that
      he will find out how to behave like a ScrumMaster. In the meantime, bring
      his "tool" up as an impediment that he has to remove, and remind him of the
      agile manifesto, which is people over process and tools.
      Ken Schwaber

      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 7, 2003
        I am not sure if you are aware, but this is a god
        digest of the yahoo group emails.

        http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.scrum.general/first=1/last=50

        http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
      • Tolga Erkal
        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 20, 2006
          Hi,

          It is very interesting noone has mentioned "ScrumWorks"
          http://danube.com/scrumworks that looks very stable and absolutely
          FREE.

          Any ideas

          Tolga Erkal
          Sr. Project Manager|Fusebox.inc

          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Beedle" <beedlem@...>
          wrote:

          > Here is the list of XP/Scrum tools that I know of:
          >
          > ScrumProduct - most accurate
          > http://www.controlchaos.com/certifiedscrum/
          >
          > A wiki - setup a project by creating a page, then setup each
          Sprint
          > in separate pages, then setup stories in separate pages, then
          > setup tasks in different stories. More on wikis at:
          > http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WikiWikiClones
          >
          > MS Excel -- same structure as above but stopping at the Sprint
          level
          > (no new tabs for stories)
          >
          > Shared File - A collection of shared files (electronic of
          otherwise)
          > with the same structured as described above i.e. one file per
          Sprint
          > and naming conventions for stories tasks e.g. "STORY 1 - do this
          and
          > that."
          > That's what I used on my first Scrum project and it worked quite
          well.

          > XPlanner - pretty close to Scrum other than the "time to
          completion"
          > thing
          > http://www.xplanner.org
          >
          > XpCgi
          > http://xpcgi.sourceforge.net/
          >
          > XPWeb
          > http://xpweb.sf.net/
          >
          > TWiki/ XPTrackerPlugin
          > http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Plugins/XpTrackerPlugin
          >
          > M-ASE
          > http://sern.ucalgary.ca/%7Emilos/mase/M-ASE.htm
          >
          > Iterate
          > http://www.diamond-sky.com/products/iterate/
          >
          > XpPlanIt
          > http://www.xpplanit.com/
          >
          > VersionOne
          > http://www.versionone.net/
          >
          > Scope
          > http://www.selectbs.com/products/products/scope_manager.htm">
          >
          > Bugzilla - you probably have to use naming conventions to break
          > down stories and use dependencies
          > http://www.bugzilla.org
          >
          > GNATS - ready for Scrum per Jeff Sutherland
          > http://www.gnu.org/directory/GNU/gnats.html
          >
          > Double Chocolate -- Awesome tool!!!
          > http://www.gnu.org/directory/GNU/dcl.html
          >
          > Scarab - no time estimates but expandable out of the box
          > http://scarab.tigris.org/
          >

          > I am probably missing a few, anybody else has more tools Scrum
          friendly
          > tools?
          >
          > - Mike

          Service.

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Service.

        • Mike Cohn
          Message 4 of 26 , Oct 20, 2006
            Here are a few more:

            Scrum for Team System, www.scrumforteamsystem.com

            Rally, www.rallydev.com

            ExtremePlanner, www.extremeplanner.com

            Target Process, www.targetprocess.com

            ProjectCards -- www.projectcards.com

            eXPlainPMT -- www.explainpmt.com (but not working right now)

            One of the best tools I've seen was on Monday while visiting a client site. They had written their own tool from Scrum and it was quite nice. I encouraged them to open source it at some point and they sound likely to do so.

            Regards,
            Mike Cohn
            Author:
              Agile Estimating and Planning
              User Stories Applied
            www.mountaingoatsoftware.com

            wrote:

            > Here is the list of XP/Scrum tools that I know of:
            >
            > ScrumProduct - most accurate
            > http://www.controlchaos.com/certifiedscrum/
            >
            > A wiki - setup a project by creating a page, then setup each
            Sprint
            > in separate pages, then setup stories in separate pages, then
            > setup tasks in different stories. More on wikis at:
            > http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WikiWikiClones
            >
            > MS Excel -- same structure as above but stopping at the Sprint
            level
            > (no new tabs for stories)
            >
            > Shared File - A collection of shared files (electronic of
            otherwise)
            > with the same structured as described above i.e. one file per
            Sprint
            > and naming conventions for stories tasks e.g. "STORY 1 - do this
            and
            > that."
            > That's what I used on my first Scrum project and it worked quite
            well.

            > XPlanner - pretty close to Scrum other than the "time to
            completion"
            > thing
            > http://www.xplanner.org
            >
            > XpCgi
            > http://xpcgi.sourceforge.net/
            >
            > XPWeb
            > http://xpweb.sf.net/
            >
            > TWiki/ XPTrackerPlugin
            > http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Plugins/XpTrackerPlugin
            >
            > M-ASE
            > http://sern.ucalgary.ca/%7Emilos/mase/M-ASE.htm
            >
            > Iterate
            > http://www.diamond-sky.com/products/iterate/
            >
            > XpPlanIt
            > http://www.xpplanit.com/
            >
            > VersionOne
            > http://www.versionone.net/
            >
            > Scope
            > http://www.selectbs.com/products/products/scope_manager.htm">
            >
            > Bugzilla - you probably have to use naming conventions to break
            > down stories and use dependencies
            > http://www.bugzilla.org
            >
            > GNATS - ready for Scrum per Jeff Sutherland
            > http://www.gnu.org/directory/GNU/gnats.html
            >
            > Double Chocolate -- Awesome tool!!!
            > http://www.gnu.org/directory/GNU/dcl.html
            >
            > Scarab - no time estimates but expandable out of the box
            > http://scarab.tigris.org/
            >

            > I am probably missing a few, anybody else has more tools Scrum
            friendly
            > tools?
            >
            > - Mike

            Service.

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Service.

          • Matt Truxaw
            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 21, 2006
              We use VersionOne and it works pretty well for us. I don't know if
              it's better than a big white board or index cards for a local team,
              but we have some folks spread out around the country and around the
              globe. Having a web based system like V-1 makes things much easier
              for us.

              V-1 is not perfect. It's interface can be somewhat clunky and
              unintuitive at first, but you come up to speed pretty quickly. Some
              of the reporting could also be improved. I hear the newest release
              has the capability to actually do some ad hoc querying of data which
              might help with that, but I haven't used that release yet.

              Bottom line...a good tool, but don't depend on a tool to get you
              there. The tool just helps you see where you've been along the way.

              --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Eric Chamberlain
              <Eric.Chamberlain@...> wrote:

              > Greetings all,
              >
              > I am working in a Scrum-oriented team at present and we are in
              sprint 5.
              > Things have gone pretty well and we are well-convinced that Scrum
              helps us a
              > lot. I have searched the archives of this discussion group and
              have looked
              > around the internet for software tools to help manage the burndown
              and the
              > backlog but have been rather disappointed so far. This is what I
              have
              > found:
              >
              > At http://www.controlchaos.com/certifiedscrum/org.htm
              > <http://www.controlchaos.com/certifiedscrum/org.htm> , there is the
              > "Certified Scrum" which offers a software package bundled with the
              > certification program but the program is listed at US$15000
              (ouch!) for a
              > *single* project license. There also seems to be no evaluation
              download
              > option for the software.
              >
              > Recently, I heard of an offering from VersionOne
              > (http://versionone.net/scrum.asp
              <http://versionone.net/scrum.asp> ) which
              > started offering a Scrum-oriented tool as of only this month. E-
              mails to
              > them have gone unanswered and there is no pricing information on
              their web
              > site (nor have I found an evaluation copy option) so I don't know
              either
              > what they really have to offer or whether it is worth whatever
              they're
              > charging.
              >
              > These are just two options. I would like more. Does anyone know
              of other
              > options? Scrum is a great idea but it is hard to sell to
              management when
              > management tools for Scrum are so hard (and/or dear) to come by!
              >
              > Thanks.
              >
              > Eric Chamberlain | Software Engineer | 425 355-6655 |
              > eric.chamberlain@... | www.creo.com <www.creo.com>
              > <<...OLE_Obj...>>

            • seansemone
              Message 6 of 26 , Oct 22, 2006
                We use two tools from atlassian.com. One is their very flexible issue
                tracker: Jira and the other is their wiki (Confluence) which we use to
                host project spaces (and the burndown charts, which are easily built
                from excel based on data output from Jira -- alternatively we could
                use their API to build one within Jira).

                What is nice about Jira is that we can also use it as our general
                purpose bug-tracker. Confluence also has some nice features (like its
                email archive).
              • Bil Simser
                Message 7 of 26 , Oct 22, 2006
                  I posted a short summary with links (all verified) of the Scrum tools that
                  have been listed here as well as others that I've tried out. Feel free to
                  add or update to the entry if I've missed anything important.
                  http://weblogs.asp.net/bsimser/archive/2006/10/21/Scrum-Tools-Roundup.aspx

                • Wolfgang Schulze Zachau
                  Message 8 of 26 , Oct 23, 2006
                    Just to update the list below: Iterate from Diamond Sky is no longer
                    available.

                    Regards,

                    Wolfgang

                  • Wolfgang Schulze Zachau
                    Message 9 of 26 , Oct 23, 2006
                      The link to M-ASE doesn't work (at least not for me).

                      Regards,

                      Wolfgang

                    • Jim Murphy
                      Message 10 of 26 , Oct 23, 2006
                        My org has several simultaneous projects going on that involve the same
                        people:

                        1. New Product Development
                        2. Customer Support
                        3. Website/e-commerce work

                        These are pretty typical things for folks in a software startup to be
                        concerned with. In our case our engineering team has involvement in all of
                        them. I understand that multiple scrum teams can be formed and a members
                        availability can be adjusted for planning but is this realistic and is it
                        missing the point of "focus" for the team members?

                        Jim
                      • David Hodge
                        Message 11 of 26 , Oct 23, 2006
                          Trac is a defect/issue tracking tool and wiki in one.  It can support CruiseControl and has a plugin for Scrum. I have not used the Scrum Plugin but Trac is great.  It also integrates with Subversion so in the wiki you can reference changesets from Subversion and track them.

                          http://trac.edgewall.org/

                          Plug in for Scrum Burndown Charts:

                          http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/ScrumBurndownPlugin

                          David Y. Hodge

                          On 10/22/06, seansemone <semone@...> wrote:

                          We use two tools from atlassian.com. One is their very flexible issue
                          tracker: Jira and the other is their wiki (Confluence) which we use to
                          host project spaces (and the burndown charts, which are easily built
                          from excel based on data output from Jira -- alternatively we could
                          use their API to build one within Jira).

                          What is nice about Jira is that we can also use it as our general
                          purpose bug-tracker. Confluence also has some nice features (like its
                          email archive).

                        • jspthomson
                          Message 12 of 26 , Oct 24, 2006
                            I would like to add IceScrum. (www.icescrum.org).

                            Jens

                            --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "David Hodge" <dyhodge@...>
                            wrote:

                            > Trac is a defect/issue tracking tool and wiki in one. It can
                            support
                            > CruiseControl and has a plugin for Scrum. I have not used the Scrum
                            Plugin
                            > but Trac is great. It also integrates with Subversion so in the
                            wiki you
                            > can reference changesets from Subversion and track them.
                            >
                            > http://trac.edgewall.org/
                            >

                            > Plug in for Scrum Burndown Charts:
                            >
                            > http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/ScrumBurndownPlugin
                            >
                            > David Y. Hodge
                            >

                            > On 10/22/06, seansemone <semone@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > We use two tools from atlassian.com. One is their very flexible
                            issue
                            > > tracker: Jira and the other is their wiki (Confluence) which we
                            use to
                            > > host project spaces (and the burndown charts, which are easily
                            built
                            > > from excel based on data output from Jira -- alternatively we
                            could
                            > > use their API to build one within Jira).
                            > >
                            > > What is nice about Jira is that we can also use it as our general
                            > > purpose bug-tracker. Confluence also has some nice features (like
                            its
                            > > email archive).

                          • Hubert Smits
                            Message 13 of 26 , Oct 24, 2006
                              Hi Jim,

                              Thank you for your question, it is a good one. The answer depends on the priority that your product owner sets for the team. If he chooses to prioritize customer support over website work, then the team can take on more features from customer support (or block more time of the day for unplanned customer support work). If your team is large enough, you can split it around two or three of the projects you list. But all depends on what you product owner wants, this is how she stears product development, and with that the success of the company.

                              --Hubert

                              On 10/23/06, Jim Murphy <jim.murphy@...> wrote:
                              My org has several simultaneous projects going on that involve the same
                              people:

                              1. New Product Development
                              2. Customer Support
                              3. Website/e-commerce work

                              These are pretty typical things for folks in a software startup to be
                              concerned with.  In our case our engineering team has involvement in all of
                              them.  I understand that multiple scrum teams can be formed and a members
                              availability can be adjusted for planning but is this realistic and is it
                              missing the point of "focus" for the team members?

                              Jim

                              Yahoo! Groups Links

                              <*> Your email settings:
                                  Individual Email | Traditional

                              <*> To change settings online go to:
                                  (Yahoo! ID required)

                              <*> To change settings via email:
                                  mailto:scrumdevelopment-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                  mailto:scrumdevelopment-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                              --

                              All opinions in this message are my own, and are not necessarily shared by my employer.
                            • skjnorrman
                              Message 14 of 26 , Oct 27, 2006
                                Will we get a part 2 of this roundup? Some new applications has been
                                added during the last week...

                                Regards,
                                Johan Norrman

                                --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Bil Simser <bsimser@...>
                                wrote:

                                > I posted a short summary with links (all verified) of the Scrum
                                tools that
                                > have been listed here as well as others that I've tried out. Feel
                                free to
                                > add or update to the entry if I've missed anything important.
                                > http://weblogs.asp.net/bsimser/archive/2006/10/21/Scrum-Tools-
                                Roundup.aspx

                              • Bil Simser
                                Message 15 of 26 , Oct 27, 2006
                                  I'll scan the list this weekend and post a followup. Sorry, haven't been
                                  checking as I have a couple of other cats I'm juggling. Thanks.

                                • Keith Ray
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Oct 30, 2006
                                    For a bit more about maintaining focus or lack of it, take a look at

                                    http://www.jrothman.com/weblog/2006/04/convincing-management-that-context.html

                                    "A few weeks ago, I republished an article originally published in
                                    Better Software: Convincing Management That Context Switching Is a Bad
                                    Idea"

                                    Also look at the blog comments and the article referenced.

                                    --

                                    C. Keith Ray
                                  • teckmx5
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jul 17, 2009
                                      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Beedle" <beedlem@...> wrote:

                                      > Here is the list of XP/Scrum tools that I know of:
                                      >
                                      > ScrumProduct - most accurate
                                      > http://www.controlchaos.com/certifiedscrum/
                                      >
                                      > A wiki - setup a project by creating a page, then setup each Sprint
                                      > in separate pages, then setup stories in separate pages, then
                                      > setup tasks in different stories. More on wikis at:
                                      > http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WikiWikiClones
                                      >
                                      > MS Excel -- same structure as above but stopping at the Sprint level
                                      > (no new tabs for stories)
                                      >
                                      > Shared File - A collection of shared files (electronic of otherwise)
                                      > with the same structured as described above i.e. one file per Sprint
                                      > and naming conventions for stories tasks e.g. "STORY 1 - do this and
                                      > that."
                                      > That's what I used on my first Scrum project and it worked quite well.
                                      >
                                      > XPlanner - pretty close to Scrum other than the "time to completion"
                                      > thing
                                      > http://www.xplanner.org
                                      >
                                      > XpCgi
                                      > http://xpcgi.sourceforge.net/
                                      >
                                      > XPWeb
                                      > http://xpweb.sf.net/
                                      >
                                      > TWiki/ XPTrackerPlugin
                                      > http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Plugins/XpTrackerPlugin
                                      >
                                      > M-ASE
                                      > http://sern.ucalgary.ca/%7Emilos/mase/M-ASE.htm
                                      >
                                      > Iterate
                                      > http://www.diamond-sky.com/products/iterate/
                                      >
                                      > XpPlanIt
                                      > http://www.xpplanit.com/
                                      >
                                      > VersionOne
                                      > http://www.versionone.net/
                                      >
                                      > Scope
                                      > http://www.selectbs.com/products/products/scope_manager.htm">
                                      >
                                      > Bugzilla - you probably have to use naming conventions to break
                                      > down stories and use dependencies
                                      > http://www.bugzilla.org
                                      >
                                      > GNATS - ready for Scrum per Jeff Sutherland
                                      > http://www.gnu.org/directory/GNU/gnats.html
                                      >
                                      > Double Chocolate -- Awesome tool!!!
                                      > http://www.gnu.org/directory/GNU/dcl.html
                                      >
                                      > Scarab - no time estimates but expandable out of the box
                                      > http://scarab.tigris.org/
                                      >

                                      > I am probably missing a few, anybody else has more tools Scrum friendly
                                      > tools?
                                      >
                                      > - Mike

                                      Hi Mike,

                                      there is also the open Source Scrum Tool:
                                      Agilo for Scrum: http://www.agile42.com/cms/pages/agilo/

                                      Cheers
                                      M.

                                    • Alan Dayley