Script to generate index cards from product backlog

  • Henrik Kniberg
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 30, 2007
      Many of you have asked for the tool that I use to generate physical
      index cards from a spreadsheet-based product backlog.

      Well... *drumroll*... here it is!
      http://blog.crisp.se/henrikkniberg/2007/04/30/1177944834489.html

      A free donut to anybody who can figure out how to do this directly in
      Excel. I couldn't so I resorted to Access. Sort of like using a
      howitzer to kill a fly :o)

      /Henrik

      --
      Henrik Kniberg
      http://www.crisp.se
      Message 2 of 8 , May 23, 2007
        Hi Henrik,

        Sorry for the late reply - I'm struggling to keep up with my email lists at
        the moment!

        I did something similar once using MS Word mail merge. You can tell Word to
        use an Excel spreadsheet as the data source and setup a template to print
        like index cards. I'm sure I picked up the idea from Mike Cohn.

        Its not quite doing it directly in Excel, but its probably simpler than
        using Access!

        Karl

      • Petri Heiramo
        Message 3 of 8 , May 23, 2007
          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Karl Scotland" <karls@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi Henrik,
          >
          > Sorry for the late reply - I'm struggling to keep up with my email
          lists at
          > the moment!
          >
          > I did something similar once using MS Word mail merge. You can tell
          Word to
          > use an Excel spreadsheet as the data source and setup a template to
          print
          > like index cards. I'm sure I picked up the idea from Mike Cohn.
          >
          > Its not quite doing it directly in Excel, but its probably simpler than
          > using Access!

          I've done the same thing for internal use. It's a bit clumsy, but it
          works when one knows how to use it.

          Petri Heiramo
          Process Improvement Manager
          SYSOPENDIGIA Plc., Finland
        • Henrik Kniberg
          Message 4 of 8 , May 23, 2007
            I tried an MS Word mail merge solution too. Clumsier than the MS Access solution, but good for teams that don't have Access.

            If someone has a good MS Word solution, how about putting it online and informing us? I'm sure many will be grateful.

            Nobody has shown an Excel-only solution for printing index cards yet. Is it impossible? I thought Excel could do everything including frying my eggs :o)

            /Henrik

            --
            Henrik Kniberg
            http://www.crisp.se

            wrote:

            > Hi Henrik,
            >
            > Sorry for the late reply - I'm struggling to keep up with my email
            lists at
            > the moment!
            >
            > I did something similar once using MS Word mail merge. You can tell
            Word to
            > use an Excel spreadsheet as the data source and setup a template to
            print
            > like index cards. I'm sure I picked up the idea from Mike Cohn.
            >
            > Its not quite doing it directly in Excel, but its probably simpler than
            > using Access!

            I've done the same thing for internal use. It's a bit clumsy, but it
            works when one knows how to use it.

            Petri Heiramo
            Process Improvement Manager
            SYSOPENDIGIA Plc., Finland

          • Xavier Quesada Allue
            Message 5 of 8 , May 23, 2007
              Henrik,

              We have something that might be what you are looking for. We created an excel macro that generates index cards in a new excel tab. Since we started doing Scrum with your e-book, the index cards look exactly like yours. It definitely works, in the sense that it generates the information with the correct contents and format, but for some reason we have been unable to configure excel to print on physical index cards using the laser printers here. (We can't figure out how to set the page size correctly or something like that). So we have resorted to printing 2 index cards per A4 sheet of paper and cutting them up with scissors. I still consider it an extremely practical solution. (It's interesting how different teams get stuck with different problems depending on knowledge and equipment available...)

              I would like to offer it to the community, but we would need some time to "polish it up". We still have some minor issues that need to be worked out or at least documented, and some minimum documentation and credits should be added also. Oh, and I would need to generate a version with some sample data since we only have the "live" version now.

              I will try to get it ready for next week and post it to the list.

              Best regards,
              Xavier Quesada

              Message 6 of 8 , May 23, 2007
                Great! Looking forward to trying it.

                BTW we also print on A4 and use scissors - "the simplest thing that could possibly work" :o)

                /Henrik

                wrote:

                > Hi Henrik,
                >
                > Sorry for the late reply - I'm struggling to keep up with my email
                lists at
                > the moment!
                >
                > I did something similar once using MS Word mail merge. You can tell
                Word to
                > use an Excel spreadsheet as the data source and setup a template to
                print
                > like index cards. I'm sure I picked up the idea from Mike Cohn.
                >
                > Its not quite doing it directly in Excel, but its probably simpler than
                > using Access!

                I've done the same thing for internal use. It's a bit clumsy, but it
                works when one knows how to use it.

                Petri Heiramo
                Process Improvement Manager
                SYSOPENDIGIA Plc., Finland

                --
                Henrik Kniberg
                http://www.crisp.se
                +46 (0)70 492 5284
              • Mark Levison
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
                  About a week late to the party I've finally posted my script:

                  http://www.notesfromatooluser.com/2007/06/12_easy_steps_f.html

                  Like the others I've not found a way of getting excel to do the work and have resorted to word. C'est la vie - I find it costs about 15-20 minutes a sprint to go from the backlog to tasks on the corkboard. Its not time consuming enough for me to have found a better solution,

                  Cheers
                  Mark Levison
                  Most Popular posts:
                  Aperture vs. Lightroom - best comparisons
                  http://www.notesfromatooluser.com/2007/02/aperture_vs_lig.html
                  Scrum in a Nutshell or 5 minutes to learn Scrum http://www.notesfromatooluser.com/2006/11/scrum_in_a_nuts.html
                  Getting Things Done!!! Can't Keep Track of all the tasks you have to do? Need a better Tool to Implement GTD? http://www.notesfromatooluser.com/2006/12/getting_things_.html
                • Gregor Dodson
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
                    We've been using the Avery 5388 sheets of business cards. They work pretty well - the cards just pop right out. There's a template in word (under labels) that has the dimensions already figured out.

                    Gregor

                    On 6/1/07, Mark Levison <mlevison@...> wrote:

[...]

                    I rather like the idea of being thought of as a shit  - a common conceit among those who don't realize just how shitty they really are." - Clive James