Re: Process Same As Methodology./Methods..?

  • Bishop, Murray
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 2, 2003
      neil_e_martin2003 writes:

      > David,
      >
      > A short note to say I'm delighted to hear you say this - I thought
      > for a while that I was the only one!
      >
      > Best Regards
      > Neil

      You and David are in company with the third edition of The New Elizabethan
      Reference Dictionary - "an up-to-date vocabulary of the language as spoken
      and written in the mid-twentieth century", which contains:

      method [F. methode, L. methodus, Gr. Methodos (METH, hodos, way)], n. Mode
      of procedure, way or order of doing; an orderly, systematic, or logical
      arrangement; orderliness, system; a system or the basis of a system of
      classification.

      methodology, n. (Log.) The branch of logic dealing with the methods of
      accurate thinking.

      > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "David Anderson"
      > <netherby_uk@y...> wrote:
      > > Methodology is the science (or study) of methods. The
      > > word "methodology" has been widely misused in software when the
      > > word "method" should have been used.

      Best,
      Murray
    • Mike Beedle
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 5, 2003
        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Bishop, Murray"
        > You and David are in company with the third edition of The
        > New Elizabethan Reference Dictionary - "an up-to-date vocabulary
        > of the language as spoken and written in the mid-twentieth
        > century", which contains:
        >
        > method [F. methode, L. methodus, Gr. Methodos (METH, hodos, way)],
        > n. Mode of procedure, way or order of doing; an orderly,
        > systematic, or logical arrangement; orderliness, system; a system
        > or the basis of a system of classification.
        >
        > methodology, n. (Log.) The branch of logic dealing with the methods
        > of accurate thinking.

        Murray:

        I was told those same definitions by Ed Berard circa 1989. Even back
        then Ed was in disbelief of how abused the word "methodology" was
        within the software context.

        Clearly, we have been in some kind of "methodological"
        "dark ages" that started sometime after the word started to be abused
        in the software world almost 30 years ago -- starting with the
        abuse of the word,

        - Mike