Re: [scrumdevelopment] Tools, Tools, Scrum Tools!

    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 31, 2003
      On Thursday, October 30, 2003, at 12:02:38 PM, Eric Chamberlain wrote:

      > I am working in a Scrum-oriented team at present and we are in sprint 5.
      > Things have gone pretty well and we are well-convinced that Scrum helps us a
      > lot. I have searched the archives of this discussion group and have looked
      > around the internet for software tools to help manage the burndown and the
      > backlog but have been rather disappointed so far.

      How many items in your backlog? How many are you burning in every sprint?
      What's wrong with a piece of paper and a crayon, or Excel?

      Please state the nature of the development emergency. -- Ryan Ripley
    • Eric Chamberlain
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 3, 2003
        Well, our backlog management is not really the issue. It is more the
        collective burn-down. We were giving our burn-downs in the daily Scrum
        meeting and then recording that to an excel spreadsheet but two things
        changed at the start of the last sprint: (1) A new scrummaster/manager came
        on-line who's been doing semi-XP and (2) apparently some members of the team
        didn't feel comfortable declaring their burn-down at the scrum meeting. The
        new manager brought in an XP tool which seems to obscure the actual
        burn-down of the sprint so I was looking for a Scrum alternative which would
        restore the clarity of the burndown (that's the concensus of the team, not
        just my opinion) and thus one of the big benefits that our team has enjoyed
        from Scrum.

        A return to the spreadsheet stands as an alternative but the new scrummaster
        seems to want to shoe-horn us into the XP tool and is resistant to using
        Excel here. I am trying to find a "third way" so we're all happy.

        Make sense?

        > How many items in your backlog? How many are you burning in
        > every sprint? What's wrong with a piece of paper and a
        > crayon, or Excel?
        >
        > Ron Jeffries
        > www.XProgramming.com
        > Please state the nature of the development emergency. -- Ryan Ripley

        > ---------------------~--> KnowledgeStorm has over 22,000 B2B
        > technology solutions. The most comprehensive IT buyers'
        > information available. Research, compare, decide. E-Commerce
        > | Application Dev | Accounting-Finance | Healthcare | Project
        > Mgt | Sales-Marketing | More
        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/IMai8D/UYQGAA/c> IoLAA/9EfwlB/TM

      • Bryan Zarnett
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 3, 2003
          If the tool is getting in the way for whatever silly reason. Drop the
          tool. I find it scary how people are obsessing on Excel. The tool is
          not the approach, it's just a tool.

          In the words of Bruce:

          "Don't think; feel. It's like a finger pointing away to the moon.
          Don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all the heavenly
          glory." Bruce Lee in Enter The Dragon (1974)

          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Eric Chamberlain
          <Eric.Chamberlain@c...> wrote:
          > Well, our backlog management is not really the issue. It is more the
          > collective burn-down. We were giving our burn-downs in the daily
          Scrum
          > meeting and then recording that to an excel spreadsheet but two
          things
          > changed at the start of the last sprint: (1) A new
          scrummaster/manager came
          > on-line who's been doing semi-XP and (2) apparently some members of
          the team
          > didn't feel comfortable declaring their burn-down at the scrum
          meeting. The
          > new manager brought in an XP tool which seems to obscure the actual
          > burn-down of the sprint so I was looking for a Scrum alternative
          which would
          > restore the clarity of the burndown (that's the concensus of the
          team, not
          > just my opinion) and thus one of the big benefits that our team has
          enjoyed
          > from Scrum.
          >
          > A return to the spreadsheet stands as an alternative but the new
          scrummaster
          > seems to want to shoe-horn us into the XP tool and is resistant to
          using
          > Excel here. I am trying to find a "third way" so we're all happy.
          >
          > Make sense?
          >

          > > How many items in your backlog? How many are you burning in
          > > every sprint? What's wrong with a piece of paper and a
          > > crayon, or Excel?
          > >
          > > Ron Jeffries
          > > www.XProgramming.com
          > > Please state the nature of the development emergency. -- Ryan
          Ripley

          > > ---------------------~--> KnowledgeStorm has over 22,000 B2B
          > > technology solutions. The most comprehensive IT buyers'
          > > information available. Research, compare, decide. E-Commerce
          > > | Application Dev | Accounting-Finance | Healthcare | Project
          > > Mgt | Sales-Marketing | More
          > > http://us.click.yahoo.com/IMai8D/UYQGAA/c> IoLAA/9EfwlB/TM

        • Ken Schwaber
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 3, 2003
            You need to send the new manager to the certified scrummaster class so that
            he will find out how to behave like a ScrumMaster. In the meantime, bring
            his "tool" up as an impediment that he has to remove, and remind him of the
            agile manifesto, which is people over process and tools.
            Ken Schwaber

            Well, our backlog management is not really the issue. It is more the
            collective burn-down. We were giving our burn-downs in the daily Scrum
            meeting and then recording that to an excel spreadsheet but two things
            changed at the start of the last sprint: (1) A new scrummaster/manager came
            on-line who's been doing semi-XP and (2) apparently some members of the team
            didn't feel comfortable declaring their burn-down at the scrum meeting. The
            new manager brought in an XP tool which seems to obscure the actual
            burn-down of the sprint so I was looking for a Scrum alternative which would
            restore the clarity of the burndown (that's the concensus of the team, not
            just my opinion) and thus one of the big benefits that our team has enjoyed
            from Scrum.

            A return to the spreadsheet stands as an alternative but the new scrummaster
            seems to want to shoe-horn us into the XP tool and is resistant to using
            Excel here. I am trying to find a "third way" so we're all happy.

            Make sense?

            > How many items in your backlog? How many are you burning in
            > every sprint? What's wrong with a piece of paper and a
            > crayon, or Excel?
            >
            > Ron Jeffries
            > www.XProgramming.com
            > Please state the nature of the development emergency. -- Ryan Ripley

            > ---------------------~--> KnowledgeStorm has over 22,000 B2B
            > technology solutions. The most comprehensive IT buyers'
            > information available. Research, compare, decide. E-Commerce
            > | Application Dev | Accounting-Finance | Healthcare | Project
            > Mgt | Sales-Marketing | More
            > http://us.click.yahoo.com/IMai8D/UYQGAA/c> IoLAA/9EfwlB/TM

          • Mark Botticelli
            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 7, 2003
              I am not sure if you are aware, but this is a god
              digest of the yahoo group emails.

              http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.scrum.general/first=1/last=50

              http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
            • Tolga Erkal
              Message 6 of 26 , Oct 20, 2006
                Hi,

                It is very interesting noone has mentioned "ScrumWorks"
                http://danube.com/scrumworks that looks very stable and absolutely
                FREE.

                Any ideas

                Tolga Erkal
                Sr. Project Manager|Fusebox.inc

                --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Beedle" <beedlem@...>
                wrote:

                > Here is the list of XP/Scrum tools that I know of:
                >
                > ScrumProduct - most accurate
                > http://www.controlchaos.com/certifiedscrum/
                >
                > A wiki - setup a project by creating a page, then setup each
                Sprint
                > in separate pages, then setup stories in separate pages, then
                > setup tasks in different stories. More on wikis at:
                > http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WikiWikiClones
                >
                > MS Excel -- same structure as above but stopping at the Sprint
                level
                > (no new tabs for stories)
                >
                > Shared File - A collection of shared files (electronic of
                otherwise)
                > with the same structured as described above i.e. one file per
                Sprint
                > and naming conventions for stories tasks e.g. "STORY 1 - do this
                and
                > that."
                > That's what I used on my first Scrum project and it worked quite
                well.

                > XPlanner - pretty close to Scrum other than the "time to
                completion"
                > thing
                > http://www.xplanner.org
                >
                > XpCgi
                > http://xpcgi.sourceforge.net/
                >
                > XPWeb
                > http://xpweb.sf.net/
                >
                > TWiki/ XPTrackerPlugin
                > http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Plugins/XpTrackerPlugin
                >
                > M-ASE
                > http://sern.ucalgary.ca/%7Emilos/mase/M-ASE.htm
                >
                > Iterate
                > http://www.diamond-sky.com/products/iterate/
                >
                > XpPlanIt
                > http://www.xpplanit.com/
                >
                > VersionOne
                > http://www.versionone.net/
                >
                > Scope
                > http://www.selectbs.com/products/products/scope_manager.htm">
                >
                > Bugzilla - you probably have to use naming conventions to break
                > down stories and use dependencies
                > http://www.bugzilla.org
                >
                > GNATS - ready for Scrum per Jeff Sutherland
                > http://www.gnu.org/directory/GNU/gnats.html
                >
                > Double Chocolate -- Awesome tool!!!
                > http://www.gnu.org/directory/GNU/dcl.html
                >
                > Scarab - no time estimates but expandable out of the box
                > http://scarab.tigris.org/
                >

                > I am probably missing a few, anybody else has more tools Scrum
                friendly
                > tools?
                >
                > - Mike

                Service.

                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                Service.

              • Mike Cohn
                Message 7 of 26 , Oct 20, 2006
                  Here are a few more:

                  Scrum for Team System, www.scrumforteamsystem.com

                  Rally, www.rallydev.com

                  ExtremePlanner, www.extremeplanner.com

                  Target Process, www.targetprocess.com

                  ProjectCards -- www.projectcards.com

                  eXPlainPMT -- www.explainpmt.com (but not working right now)

                  One of the best tools I've seen was on Monday while visiting a client site. They had written their own tool from Scrum and it was quite nice. I encouraged them to open source it at some point and they sound likely to do so.

                  Regards,
                  Mike Cohn
                  Author:
                    Agile Estimating and Planning
                    User Stories Applied
                  www.mountaingoatsoftware.com

                  wrote:

                  > Here is the list of XP/Scrum tools that I know of:
                  >
                  > ScrumProduct - most accurate
                  > http://www.controlchaos.com/certifiedscrum/
                  >
                  > A wiki - setup a project by creating a page, then setup each
                  Sprint
                  > in separate pages, then setup stories in separate pages, then
                  > setup tasks in different stories. More on wikis at:
                  > http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WikiWikiClones
                  >
                  > MS Excel -- same structure as above but stopping at the Sprint
                  level
                  > (no new tabs for stories)
                  >
                  > Shared File - A collection of shared files (electronic of
                  otherwise)
                  > with the same structured as described above i.e. one file per
                  Sprint
                  > and naming conventions for stories tasks e.g. "STORY 1 - do this
                  and
                  > that."
                  > That's what I used on my first Scrum project and it worked quite
                  well.

                  > XPlanner - pretty close to Scrum other than the "time to
                  completion"
                  > thing
                  > http://www.xplanner.org
                  >
                  > XpCgi
                  > http://xpcgi.sourceforge.net/
                  >
                  > XPWeb
                  > http://xpweb.sf.net/
                  >
                  > TWiki/ XPTrackerPlugin
                  > http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Plugins/XpTrackerPlugin
                  >
                  > M-ASE
                  > http://sern.ucalgary.ca/%7Emilos/mase/M-ASE.htm
                  >
                  > Iterate
                  > http://www.diamond-sky.com/products/iterate/
                  >
                  > XpPlanIt
                  > http://www.xpplanit.com/
                  >
                  > VersionOne
                  > http://www.versionone.net/
                  >
                  > Scope
                  > http://www.selectbs.com/products/products/scope_manager.htm">
                  >
                  > Bugzilla - you probably have to use naming conventions to break
                  > down stories and use dependencies
                  > http://www.bugzilla.org
                  >
                  > GNATS - ready for Scrum per Jeff Sutherland
                  > http://www.gnu.org/directory/GNU/gnats.html
                  >
                  > Double Chocolate -- Awesome tool!!!
                  > http://www.gnu.org/directory/GNU/dcl.html
                  >
                  > Scarab - no time estimates but expandable out of the box
                  > http://scarab.tigris.org/
                  >

                  > I am probably missing a few, anybody else has more tools Scrum
                  friendly
                  > tools?
                  >
                  > - Mike

                  Service.

                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  Service.

                • Matt Truxaw
                  Message 8 of 26 , Oct 21, 2006
                    We use VersionOne and it works pretty well for us. I don't know if
                    it's better than a big white board or index cards for a local team,
                    but we have some folks spread out around the country and around the
                    globe. Having a web based system like V-1 makes things much easier
                    for us.

                    V-1 is not perfect. It's interface can be somewhat clunky and
                    unintuitive at first, but you come up to speed pretty quickly. Some
                    of the reporting could also be improved. I hear the newest release
                    has the capability to actually do some ad hoc querying of data which
                    might help with that, but I haven't used that release yet.

                    Bottom line...a good tool, but don't depend on a tool to get you
                    there. The tool just helps you see where you've been along the way.

                    <Eric.Chamberlain@...> wrote:

                    > Greetings all,
                    >
                    > I am working in a Scrum-oriented team at present and we are in
                    sprint 5.
                    > Things have gone pretty well and we are well-convinced that Scrum
                    helps us a
                    > lot. I have searched the archives of this discussion group and
                    have looked
                    > around the internet for software tools to help manage the burndown
                    and the
                    > backlog but have been rather disappointed so far. This is what I
                    have
                    > found:
                    >
                    > At http://www.controlchaos.com/certifiedscrum/org.htm
                    > <http://www.controlchaos.com/certifiedscrum/org.htm> , there is the
                    > "Certified Scrum" which offers a software package bundled with the
                    > certification program but the program is listed at US$15000
                    (ouch!) for a
                    > *single* project license. There also seems to be no evaluation
                    download
                    > option for the software.
                    >
                    > Recently, I heard of an offering from VersionOne
                    > (http://versionone.net/scrum.asp
                    <http://versionone.net/scrum.asp> ) which
                    > started offering a Scrum-oriented tool as of only this month. E-
                    mails to
                    > them have gone unanswered and there is no pricing information on
                    their web
                    > site (nor have I found an evaluation copy option) so I don't know
                    either
                    > what they really have to offer or whether it is worth whatever
                    they're
                    > charging.
                    >
                    > These are just two options. I would like more. Does anyone know
                    of other
                    > options? Scrum is a great idea but it is hard to sell to
                    management when
                    > management tools for Scrum are so hard (and/or dear) to come by!
                    >
                    > Thanks.
                    >
                    > Eric Chamberlain | Software Engineer | 425 355-6655 |
                    > eric.chamberlain@... | www.creo.com <www.creo.com>
                    > <<...OLE_Obj...>>

                  • seansemone
                    Message 9 of 26 , Oct 22, 2006
                      We use two tools from atlassian.com. One is their very flexible issue
                      tracker: Jira and the other is their wiki (Confluence) which we use to
                      host project spaces (and the burndown charts, which are easily built
                      from excel based on data output from Jira -- alternatively we could
                      use their API to build one within Jira).

                      What is nice about Jira is that we can also use it as our general
                      purpose bug-tracker. Confluence also has some nice features (like its
                      email archive).
                    • Bil Simser
                      Message 10 of 26 , Oct 22, 2006
                        I posted a short summary with links (all verified) of the Scrum tools that
                        have been listed here as well as others that I've tried out. Feel free to
                        add or update to the entry if I've missed anything important.
                        http://weblogs.asp.net/bsimser/archive/2006/10/21/Scrum-Tools-Roundup.aspx

                      • Wolfgang Schulze Zachau
                        Message 11 of 26 , Oct 23, 2006
                          Just to update the list below: Iterate from Diamond Sky is no longer
                          available.

                          Regards,

                          Wolfgang

                        • Wolfgang Schulze Zachau
                          Message 12 of 26 , Oct 23, 2006
                            The link to M-ASE doesn't work (at least not for me).

                            Regards,

                            Wolfgang

                          • Jim Murphy
                            Message 13 of 26 , Oct 23, 2006
                              My org has several simultaneous projects going on that involve the same
                              people:

                              1. New Product Development
                              2. Customer Support
                              3. Website/e-commerce work

                              These are pretty typical things for folks in a software startup to be
                              concerned with. In our case our engineering team has involvement in all of
                              them. I understand that multiple scrum teams can be formed and a members
                              availability can be adjusted for planning but is this realistic and is it
                              missing the point of "focus" for the team members?

                              Jim
                            • David Hodge
                              Message 14 of 26 , Oct 23, 2006
                                Trac is a defect/issue tracking tool and wiki in one.  It can support CruiseControl and has a plugin for Scrum. I have not used the Scrum Plugin but Trac is great.  It also integrates with Subversion so in the wiki you can reference changesets from Subversion and track them.

                                http://trac.edgewall.org/

                                Plug in for Scrum Burndown Charts:

                                http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/ScrumBurndownPlugin

                                David Y. Hodge

                                On 10/22/06, seansemone <semone@...> wrote:

                                We use two tools from atlassian.com. One is their very flexible issue
                                tracker: Jira and the other is their wiki (Confluence) which we use to
                                host project spaces (and the burndown charts, which are easily built
                                from excel based on data output from Jira -- alternatively we could
                                use their API to build one within Jira).

                                What is nice about Jira is that we can also use it as our general
                                purpose bug-tracker. Confluence also has some nice features (like its
                                email archive).

                              • jspthomson
                                Message 15 of 26 , Oct 24, 2006
                                  I would like to add IceScrum. (www.icescrum.org).

                                  Jens

                                  --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "David Hodge" <dyhodge@...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > Trac is a defect/issue tracking tool and wiki in one. It can
                                  support
                                  > CruiseControl and has a plugin for Scrum. I have not used the Scrum
                                  Plugin
                                  > but Trac is great. It also integrates with Subversion so in the
                                  wiki you
                                  > can reference changesets from Subversion and track them.
                                  >
                                  > http://trac.edgewall.org/
                                  >

                                  > Plug in for Scrum Burndown Charts:
                                  >
                                  > http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/ScrumBurndownPlugin
                                  >
                                  > David Y. Hodge
                                  >

                                  > On 10/22/06, seansemone <semone@...> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > We use two tools from atlassian.com. One is their very flexible
                                  issue
                                  > > tracker: Jira and the other is their wiki (Confluence) which we
                                  use to
                                  > > host project spaces (and the burndown charts, which are easily
                                  built
                                  > > from excel based on data output from Jira -- alternatively we
                                  could
                                  > > use their API to build one within Jira).
                                  > >
                                  > > What is nice about Jira is that we can also use it as our general
                                  > > purpose bug-tracker. Confluence also has some nice features (like
                                  its
                                  > > email archive).

                                • Hubert Smits
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Oct 24, 2006
                                    Hi Jim,

                                    Thank you for your question, it is a good one. The answer depends on the priority that your product owner sets for the team. If he chooses to prioritize customer support over website work, then the team can take on more features from customer support (or block more time of the day for unplanned customer support work). If your team is large enough, you can split it around two or three of the projects you list. But all depends on what you product owner wants, this is how she stears product development, and with that the success of the company.

                                    --Hubert

                                    On 10/23/06, Jim Murphy <jim.murphy@...> wrote:
                                    My org has several simultaneous projects going on that involve the same
                                    people:

                                    1. New Product Development
                                    2. Customer Support
                                    3. Website/e-commerce work

                                    These are pretty typical things for folks in a software startup to be
                                    concerned with.  In our case our engineering team has involvement in all of
                                    them.  I understand that multiple scrum teams can be formed and a members
                                    availability can be adjusted for planning but is this realistic and is it
                                    missing the point of "focus" for the team members?

                                    Jim

                                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                                    <*> Your email settings:
                                        Individual Email | Traditional

                                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                                    <*> To change settings via email:
                                        mailto:scrumdevelopment-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                        mailto:scrumdevelopment-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                    --

                                    All opinions in this message are my own, and are not necessarily shared by my employer.
                                  • skjnorrman
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Oct 27, 2006
                                      Will we get a part 2 of this roundup? Some new applications has been
                                      added during the last week...

                                      Regards,
                                      Johan Norrman

                                      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Bil Simser <bsimser@...>
                                      wrote:

                                      > I posted a short summary with links (all verified) of the Scrum
                                      tools that
                                      > have been listed here as well as others that I've tried out. Feel
                                      free to
                                      > add or update to the entry if I've missed anything important.
                                      > http://weblogs.asp.net/bsimser/archive/2006/10/21/Scrum-Tools-
                                      Roundup.aspx

                                    • Bil Simser
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Oct 27, 2006
                                        I'll scan the list this weekend and post a followup. Sorry, haven't been
                                        checking as I have a couple of other cats I'm juggling. Thanks.

                                      • Keith Ray
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Oct 30, 2006
                                          For a bit more about maintaining focus or lack of it, take a look at

                                          http://www.jrothman.com/weblog/2006/04/convincing-management-that-context.html

                                          "A few weeks ago, I republished an article originally published in
                                          Better Software: Convincing Management That Context Switching Is a Bad
                                          Idea"

                                          Also look at the blog comments and the article referenced.

                                          --

                                          C. Keith Ray
                                        • teckmx5
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jul 17, 2009
                                            --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Beedle" <beedlem@...> wrote:

                                            > Here is the list of XP/Scrum tools that I know of:
                                            >
                                            > ScrumProduct - most accurate
                                            > http://www.controlchaos.com/certifiedscrum/
                                            >
                                            > A wiki - setup a project by creating a page, then setup each Sprint
                                            > in separate pages, then setup stories in separate pages, then
                                            > setup tasks in different stories. More on wikis at:
                                            > http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WikiWikiClones
                                            >
                                            > MS Excel -- same structure as above but stopping at the Sprint level
                                            > (no new tabs for stories)
                                            >
                                            > Shared File - A collection of shared files (electronic of otherwise)
                                            > with the same structured as described above i.e. one file per Sprint
                                            > and naming conventions for stories tasks e.g. "STORY 1 - do this and
                                            > that."
                                            > That's what I used on my first Scrum project and it worked quite well.
                                            >
                                            > XPlanner - pretty close to Scrum other than the "time to completion"
                                            > thing
                                            > http://www.xplanner.org
                                            >
                                            > XpCgi
                                            > http://xpcgi.sourceforge.net/
                                            >
                                            > XPWeb
                                            > http://xpweb.sf.net/
                                            >
                                            > TWiki/ XPTrackerPlugin
                                            > http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Plugins/XpTrackerPlugin
                                            >
                                            > M-ASE
                                            > http://sern.ucalgary.ca/%7Emilos/mase/M-ASE.htm
                                            >
                                            > Iterate
                                            > http://www.diamond-sky.com/products/iterate/
                                            >
                                            > XpPlanIt
                                            > http://www.xpplanit.com/
                                            >
                                            > VersionOne
                                            > http://www.versionone.net/
                                            >
                                            > Scope
                                            > http://www.selectbs.com/products/products/scope_manager.htm">
                                            >
                                            > Bugzilla - you probably have to use naming conventions to break
                                            > down stories and use dependencies
                                            > http://www.bugzilla.org
                                            >
                                            > GNATS - ready for Scrum per Jeff Sutherland
                                            > http://www.gnu.org/directory/GNU/gnats.html
                                            >
                                            > Double Chocolate -- Awesome tool!!!
                                            > http://www.gnu.org/directory/GNU/dcl.html
                                            >
                                            > Scarab - no time estimates but expandable out of the box
                                            > http://scarab.tigris.org/
                                            >

                                            > I am probably missing a few, anybody else has more tools Scrum friendly
                                            > tools?
                                            >
                                            > - Mike

                                            Hi Mike,

                                            there is also the open Source Scrum Tool:
                                            Agilo for Scrum: http://www.agile42.com/cms/pages/agilo/

                                            Cheers
                                            M.

                                          • Alan Dayley