Daily Scrum

  • Jeff Martin
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 25, 2007
      I have searched and can't seem to find what I'm looking for.  I'm sure I'm just not using the right terms.  Does anyone have a script of an example daily scrum?  We are having several issues with our scrum and some team members are wanting to do away with it or change it to a twice a week thing.  I'm wanting to fix the problems and I think sharing an example of a proper scrum with them would help.  I've made up examples for different things, but I think it would have more impact reading through from start to finish.

      Thanks,

      Jeff Martin
      Senior Developer
      Smith Seckman Reid, Inc.
      Phone: (615) 460-0528
      Email:
      jmartin@...
      http://www.ssr-inc.com

      Notice:  This message is confidential, is intended only for the named recipient(s) and may contain information that is privileged or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient(s), you are notified that the dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.  If you received this message and are not an intended recipient, please delete it from your computer system without copying or forwarding it, and notify the sender by either sending a return e-mail or calling the number above.

    • Michael Vizdos
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 25, 2007
        Hi,

        I do not think this is a "script" -- or even if one exists out there; however, I posted a blog about this topic recently that may be of interest on this topic.

        http://www.implementingscrum.com/cartoons/cartoons_files/implementingscrum-20070402.html

        Hope it helps.  Or, at least brings a smile to your face (and the people on your team).

        - mike vizdos
          www.michaelvizdos.com
          www.implementingscrum.com

        On 4/25/07, Jeff Martin < jmartin@...> wrote:

[...]

      • Fred Montaseri
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 25, 2007

          How do you conduct your daily Scrum meetings?

          And, what are your issues?

          For what its worth here is a script, if that helps.

          Daily Scrum meetings

          • During the Sprint, the team holds daily Scrum meetings.
          • The ScrumMaster ensures that Scrum meetings take place and facilities them.
          • The meetings are held in the same place at the same time every working day.
          • The meetings should last not more than 15 minutes.
          • During the daily meetings every team member reports to the team by answering the following three questions:

          1.       What have you done since the last Scrum meeting?

          2.       What has impeded your work?

          3.       What do you plan on doing between now and the next Scrum meeting?

          • Conversation is restricted to the team members answering the above questions.
          • Follow up meetings can be established for immediately after the scrum meeting.
          • The ScrumMaster is responsible to act immediately, if required to remove impediments to progress.

          Kind Regards,

          Fred Montaseri
          47 Woodhaven Crescent
          Richmond Hill ,  Ontario
          L4E 3T2
          Tel:   (905) 773-7155

          jmartin@ssr- inc.com
          http://www.ssr- inc.com

          Notice:  This message is confidential, is intended only for the named recipient(s) and may contain information that is privileged or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient(s) , you are notified that the dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.  If you received this message and are not an intended recipient, please delete it from your computer system without copying or forwarding it, and notify the sender by either sending a return e-mail or calling the number above.

        • DoctorArtem
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 25, 2007
            Minimal daily scrums are that simple that concrete script won't
            probably be of much help. What you are asking for is probably more
            about gestures, looks, tone and feeling of trust in that Scrum Master
            (and team members) will actually help when help is needed. These
            things are difficult to reflect in a script.

            Maybe the following article on the daily meeting patterns could help
            you to locate the problem roots:
            http://www.martinfowler.com/articles/itsNotJustStandingUp.html

            And, well, if a team (not just some team members) was doing scrum for
            at least several iterations already (so they got what it is about)
            then isn't it their right to change the daily scrum way? Bad
            command'n'control-like daily scrum might be worse, than no daily scrum.
            Certainly, it is Scrum Master's responsibility to dig out the real
            daily scrum problem and heal it in the first place. However, if he
            fails, maybe it is a good idea to change the daily meetings and see
            how it works.

            On one of my recent projects the non-scrum team tried using daily
            meetings (idea borrowed from the scrumish team around, where daily
            meetings worked perfectly). However, without a good understanding of
            the purpose and value of the meeting and its place in the process it
            became a yet another damn status meeting with team lead updating his
            task sheet on his laptop and nobody listening to each other tasks.
            Over time it became such a pain with no value that everybody was happy
            when it got canceled.

            I hope your meetings are not like this.

            Artem.

            --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Martin" <jmartin@...>

            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 25, 2007
              I meant more of a script as in a role play example.  Everyone on the team has read the questions several times, it's just some feel like "What have I done since yesterday?" means either a detailed description of how they arrived at a solution or a vague statement that they worked on feature X.  The "What am I going to do today?" questions evokes that same vague "Keep working on feature X" or it sets off a design discussion about a feature or something that's so far down the road, it's not even on the radar.  Even if the question was answered based on tasks, there's no accountability.  I could go in everyday for a week and repeat the same tasks as my plan for the day and no one would call me on it.

              Here is a summary of the problems I've identified...

              1. Our tasks and updates are too vague.  Discussed above.  I asked the team to be more specific and refer to tasks, not stories and also to hold each other accountable if we weren't completing tasks.
              2. The time of the meeting.  Currently it's held at 8 or 8:15ish every morning.  We randomly pick someone's cube (we use ExtremePlanner for our "board").  I add the -ish above because it depends on when everyone gets there (I'm usually the late one) and then there's a round of instant messaging consisting of "Are y'all ready?"  "Where are we meeting?"  "Can we wait 5 minutes, I'm in the middle of something?".  I've recommended moving the meeting to 11 (our earliest lunch eater usually goes to lunch around 11:30), setting the time in stone, setting the location in stone and starting even if everyone is not there.  I think a mid-day scrum would also help completed work be fresher on the mind.
              3. The meeting is not a status report.  This one was all my fault.  I'm both a team member and act as the scrummaster (I know, that's supposed to be against the "rules", but a dedicated scrummaster is not a feasible position at my company) and I was handling keeping ExtremePlanner up to date.  So the scrum turned into me asking what tasks were done and how much time was left on incomplete ones.  Now each dev is updating EP directly, eliminating this issue.
              4. Side discussions.  I mentioned this above.

              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 25, 2007
                --- Does anyone have a script of an example daily scrum?

                Take a look here:
                http://www.think-box.co.uk/blog/2006/05/daily-stand-up-scrum-meeting.html
              • Jeff Martin
                Message 7 of 22 , Apr 25, 2007
                  I sent that article to everyone when I sent out my list of issues.  It's the best article I've seen so far on the benefits and potential problems of the scrum.

                  The team has been doing scrum for various lengths of time, our newest member has been here about 2 months (we run 2 week iterations).  Everyone understands the way it is supposed to work, it's just seems the execution is lacking.  And I agree, if it needs to be changed it should.  This isn't command and control as I'm part of the team.  In my email to the team, I asked for their input on solutions.  The point I made to them is that if we haven't been doing the process right, I would like to attempt to fix the process, not just do it less often.  If one of your tires is going flat, you fix it.  You don't just stop driving your car except on Mondays and Thursdays.  If we fix these issues and there is still a feeling that daily is too often, then we'll try fewer meetings.  I included the list of issues we are facing in my reply to Fred, if anyone has suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

                  jeff

                  wrote:

                  > I have searched and can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I'm sure
                  > I'm just not using the right terms. Does anyone have a script of an
                  > example daily scrum? We are having several issues with our scrum and
                  > some team members are wanting to do away with it or change it to a twice
                  > a week thing. I'm wanting to fix the problems and I think sharing an
                  > example of a proper scrum with them would help. I've made up examples
                  > for different things, but I think it would have more impact reading
                  > through from start to finish.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  >

                  > Jeff Martin
                  > Senior Developer
                  > Smith Seckman Reid, Inc.
                  > Phone: (615) 460-0528
                  > Email: jmartin@... <mailto:jmartin@ ...>
                  > http://www.ssr- inc.com <http://www.ssr- inc.com/>
                  >
                  > Notice: This message is confidential, is intended only for the named
                  > recipient(s) and may contain information that is privileged or exempt
                  > from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended
                  > recipient(s) , you are notified that the dissemination, distribution or
                  > copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you received this
                  > message and are not an intended recipient, please delete it from your
                  > computer system without copying or forwarding it, and notify the sender
                  > by either sending a return e-mail or calling the number above.

                • dnicolet99
                  Message 8 of 22 , Apr 25, 2007
                    It sounds as if you already have the answers. They seem to be embedded
                    in your description of the problems.

                    Dave

                    wrote:

                    > I meant more of a script as in a role play example. Everyone on the
                    > team has read the questions several times, it's just some feel like
                    > "What have I done since yesterday?" means either a detailed description
                    > of how they arrived at a solution or a vague statement that they worked
                    > on feature X. The "What am I going to do today?" questions evokes that
                    > same vague "Keep working on feature X" or it sets off a design
                    > discussion about a feature or something that's so far down the road,
                    > it's not even on the radar. Even if the question was answered based on
                    > tasks, there's no accountability. I could go in everyday for a week and
                    > repeat the same tasks as my plan for the day and no one would call me on
                    > it.
                    >
                    > Here is a summary of the problems I've identified...
                    >
                    > 1. Our tasks and updates are too vague. Discussed above. I asked the
                    > team to be more specific and refer to tasks, not stories and also to
                    > hold each other accountable if we weren't completing tasks.
                    > 2. The time of the meeting. Currently it's held at 8 or 8:15ish every
                    > morning. We randomly pick someone's cube (we use ExtremePlanner for our
                    > "board"). I add the -ish above because it depends on when everyone gets
                    > there (I'm usually the late one) and then there's a round of instant
                    > messaging consisting of "Are y'all ready?" "Where are we meeting?"
                    > "Can we wait 5 minutes, I'm in the middle of something?". I've
                    > recommended moving the meeting to 11 (our earliest lunch eater usually
                    > goes to lunch around 11:30), setting the time in stone, setting the
                    > location in stone and starting even if everyone is not there. I think a
                    > mid-day scrum would also help completed work be fresher on the mind.
                    > 3. The meeting is not a status report. This one was all my fault. I'm
                    > both a team member and act as the scrummaster (I know, that's supposed
                    > to be against the "rules", but a dedicated scrummaster is not a feasible
                    > position at my company) and I was handling keeping ExtremePlanner up to
                    > date. So the scrum turned into me asking what tasks were done and how
                    > much time was left on incomplete ones. Now each dev is updating EP
                    > directly, eliminating this issue.
                    > 4. Side discussions. I mentioned this above.
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • Spent Lenny
                    Message 9 of 22 , Apr 25, 2007
                      1. This may be because you haven't taken the time to break each user story into real tasks. We use an exercise where everyone gets post-its and writes down every task required to complete a story. These are the work tasks that everyone should be working on.
                      2. So you can't even commit to your own meeting? What kind of message are you trying to send vs. what kind of message are you actually sending. Try showing up on time and starting the meeting on time. Leave the others out. Also, 8:00 is probably too early. Consider adjusting your time. Move it to 9:00.

                      3 & 4. this does go to #2. You have to lead by example. Always go first. Follow the script, show them how its done. Then listen. If you are the scrum master, then be the scrum master. I wouldn't be to abrupt to your side conversations. If you have people that don't talk much, you can use that time for the side bars, but if it seems to go on longer than a minute or two, you have to step in and get the team straight. Tell them politely that they are getting off track and that you'l put this as an after topic and let that person finish or go to the next person.

                      I would get what was recommended to me by my boss "Behind Closed Doors" http://www.amazon.com/Behind-Closed-Doors-Management-Programmers/dp/0976694026 its packed with good tips. You could use the one on running effective meetings.

                      Martin Fowler also wrote an article on the daily scrum that you should read. Search the list, or someone will post it.

                      Maybe you should have someone else lead. Its worth considering. Take the time to have 1 on 1s with each person. Ask them how things work or aren't working. Here you really have to work at listening, don't rush to judgement or try to answer. Make sure you use "active listenting" skills.

                      hope some of this helps.

                      Lenny.

[...]

                      Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.
                    • Scot Weber
                      Message 10 of 22 , Apr 25, 2007
                        Jeff,

                        Our daily scrum script is:

                        Scrum Master: Scot, what did you accomplish yesterday?
                        Scot: I finished tasks X and Y, but had a problem with Z. I think I
                        need Jon's help.
                        << presuming Jon's availability is NOT a problem >>
                        Scrum Master: Scot, what are you planning to do today?
                        Scot: Get with Jon and complete Z, and start on AA.

                        [[ cycle through to the next person on the team ]]

                        It should be that simple. If you're falling into the trap of having
                        engineering discussions during the daily Scrum, then you may have a
                        more fundamental problem of your engineers not talking during the time
                        they're supposed be engaged in engineering activities. During one of
                        my early Scrum engagements, we experienced the same behavior, and it
                        was rectified by noting this behavior, before the next daily Scrum,
                        and re-iterating the simple purpose of the daily scrum. Fortunately,
                        this is all the coaching the team needed, and the engineering
                        discussions were saved for "work time".

                        One of the hoped for artifacts of Scrum is the self organizing team,
                        meaning the development team members (not all are necessarily
                        engineers) find their capacity for effective participation and
                        engagement in the team. As I indicated previously, doing "work"
                        during the daily scrum is probably a sign that one or more of the team
                        members aren't engaged.

                        Hope this helps -- Scot

                        Message 11 of 22 , Apr 25, 2007
                          Scot, your script sounds like a command-and-contro scenario in which
                          the ScrumMaster functions like a traditional PM. The problem that
                          *may* occur with this approach is that the ScrumMaster implicity
                          "owns" the project and the team does not feel a sense of collective
                          ownership or accountability. They are reporting status to the
                          ScrumMaster instead of making commitments directly to their peers.

                          What would happen if tomorrow the ScrumMaster did not ask each team
                          member any questions? Would the team self-manage the scrum? What if
                          the ScrumMaster waited a while to see if the team picked up the ball,
                          and if they didn't then he explained what he was trying to do?

                          Dave

                          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Scot Weber" <ninjalerk@...>
                          wrote:

> [...]
                          > >
                          > > Thanks,
                          > >

                          > > Jeff Martin
                          > > Senior Developer
                          > > Smith Seckman Reid, Inc.
                          > > Phone: (615) 460-0528
                          > > Email: jmartin@ <mailto:jmartin@>
                          > > http://www.ssr-inc.com <http://www.ssr-inc.com/>
                          > >
                          > > Notice: This message is confidential, is intended only for the named
                          > > recipient(s) and may contain information that is privileged or exempt
                          > > from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended
                          > > recipient(s), you are notified that the dissemination, distribution or
                          > > copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you received this
                          > > message and are not an intended recipient, please delete it from your
                          > > computer system without copying or forwarding it, and notify the
                          sender
                          > > by either sending a return e-mail or calling the number above.

                        • Marcie Jones
                          Message 12 of 22 , Apr 25, 2007
                            Hi Jeff,

                            I've faced similar issues and our team has managed to work
                            through most of them in the past year. It is hard, but there is
                            hope if you keep at it, and keep learning.

                            First off, even though you are doing double-duty as SM and team
                            member (developer?), you must at least step fully into the SM
                            role during the daily scrum. Other discussions on this list
                            have discussed the disadvantages of this situation, so I'm not
                            going to go into that, but I think you're seeing one of the big
                            challenges of it right here.

                            Some of the things you're missing are just some basic meeting
                            facilitation techniques. Some of us had the advantage of
                            learning these long before Scrum, but if this area is
                            uncomfortable for you, find a good facilitator in your
                            organization (or community) and watch how they work, or ask them
                            to help you. Here are some basic pointers:

                            1) Don't be late yourself (duh). As a ScrumMaster, this sets a
                            bad example and sends the message that you don't value the
                            team's time, or the daily Scrum. If they don't think you value
                            it, why should they?

                            2) The meeting needs to start on time. "I'm in the middle of
                            something, can we wait 5 more minutes" does not respect the
                            team's time. If you delay routinely for these, again you are
                            sending the message that this session is not important, when
                            really it should be one of the most important parts of the day.

                            3) If #1 and #2 really can't happen, experiment with different
                            meeting times. Changing the time though will not fix the
                            underlying attitude issues.

                            4) Cut off inappropriate discussions. As ScrumMaster you get to
                            be the facilitator of this session, even if you are just "team
                            member" the rest of the day. You are allowed to ask people to
                            take the discussion offline, or hold it until after the general
                            group is finished. This can be tough at times, but be firm.

                            5) If the updates are too vague, ask questions. Don't just tell
                            them "updates need to be at the task level" or that they're
                            "doing it wrong". If you've been talking with them throughout
                            the day, ask leading questions during the Scrum, "What happened
                            with...", "How did you decide to handle...", "Did you ever get
                            such-and-such from so-and-so". The team will figure out what is
                            the appropriate level of detail to give over time, partly based
                            on what questions people ask them, or the opposite problem at
                            times, when eyes start to glaze over.

                            6) Ask your team permission to keep trying it daily for say, one
                            more iteration while you try to fix these problems. Promise
                            them that if it's not any better after that, you'll switch to
                            twice a week, and do it. Go from there. If you're having
                            retrospectives, you can always decide to switch back.

                            Anyway, it sounds like you're asking the right questions and you
                            already know some of the answers. Stick with it, be firm but
                            not rigid, and ask for help.

                            Marcie Jones
                            Atlanta, GA

                            Message 13 of 22 , Apr 26, 2007
                              Dave,

                              Thanks, you're dead right. It does sound just like C&C reporting. I
                              slept on it and realized our daily scrums do have that simple script,
                              but there's a lot more interaction than just between SM and Scot or SM
                              and Jon. My appologies, Jeff, for the incomplete example.

                              We, the development team, though, had an explicit agreement to stay
                              on focus during the stand-up and not usurp the meeting, and it was the
                              team who made the remediation (accountability between peers), not the
                              SM. This does bring up a point, too, that this team, which was
                              together with a common core of five people for over 2 1/2 years worked
                              as a confederation with a simple written constitution (on a white
                              board in eraser board marker, always mutable and negotiable) of our
                              common values and some agreements on how to self-manage over some of
                              the more difficult personality points, such as the habit of usurping
                              meetings.

                              Cheers -- Scot

                              --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "dnicolet99" <dnicolet@...>

                              Message 14 of 22 , Apr 26, 2007
                                Thanks to everyone that has offered input on this topic.  I had sent an email to the team yesterday with a list of issues I saw and asked for input from everyone.  I included the article from Martin Fowler's site and I think that clarified some things for people.  We had a very good stand-up this morning and after the meeting we discussed our process(we made sure to delineate between the actual stand-up and the discussion about our process) and came up with a plan to fix the issues.  We've agreed that if we fix the issues and the team still feels like daily is too often, then we will change to twice a week.

                                What you mention about the team holding each other accountable is what I am striving for.  I was never looking for a C&C solution or a way to force the daily meetings on the team.  I want what works best for the entire team.

                                Thanks,

                                jeff

                                wrote:

> [...]
                                > > > Phone: (615) 460-0528
                                > > > Email: jmartin@ <mailto:jmartin@ >
                                > > > http://www.ssr- inc.com <http://www.ssr- inc.com/>
                                > > >
                                > > > Notice: This message is confidential, is intended only for the
                                named
                                > > > recipient(s) and may contain information that is privileged or
                                exempt
                                > > > from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended
                                > > > recipient(s) , you are notified that the dissemination,
                                distribution or
                                > > > copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you received
                                this
                                > > > message and are not an intended recipient, please delete it from
                                your
                                > > > computer system without copying or forwarding it, and notify the
                                > sender
                                > > > by either sending a return e-mail or calling the number above.

                              • Nicholas Cancelliere
                                Message 15 of 22 , May 2, 2007
                                  I agree with the other comment about this sounding too C&C.

                                  The Scrummaster should kick off the daily scrum by just saying something like, "Good morning!  I'm glad to see everyone here, okay lets get started ... Scot."

                                  Scot should know what to do at that point -- answering the three questions.  Move clockwise around the room, people shouldn't have to be prompted to go.  (New teams need this help initially until it becomes habit).

                                  You're job as the Scrummaster is to listen closely and make sure people are providing enough detail.  If not, and again often with newer teams, you might have to step in and ask some key questions to teach them how to provide the right information.  Or you can wait and see if someone else pipes up.  Or you can wait until the end of the stand-up and ask the team "So what is it Scot is doing today?"  "Why is it Karen is still, now 2 days behind, on the update widget?"  "No one volunteered to help Earl."  That sort of thing.  You have to be careful - because every time you intervene you rob an opportunity from the team to self-manage.  You need to get them to do this questioning themselves; however, sometimes new teams need time to grow into it.

                                  Ultimately the team will start policing itself.  Usually the trouble a new team has is a) they don't know how to provide the right information, b) they don't recognize they're not being delivered the right information, or c) they're too "polite" to challenge someone to give the right information when they arn't.

                                  --
                                  Nicholas Cancelliere, Austin TX
                                  "The wide world is all about you: you can fence yourselves in, but you cannot for ever fence it out." -Gildor, Fellowship of the Ring (Lord of the Rings)
                                  Message 16 of 22 , May 2, 2007
                                    It's called a 'daily standup', not a daily scrum. That might help when you google.

                                    wrote:

                                    > I have searched and can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I'm sure
                                    > I'm just not using the right terms. Does anyone have a script of an
                                    > example daily scrum? We are having several issues with our scrum and
                                    > some team members are wanting to do away with it or change it to a twice
                                    > a week thing. I'm wanting to fix the problems and I think sharing an
                                    > example of a proper scrum with them would help. I've made up examples
                                    > for different things, but I think it would have more impact reading
                                    > through from start to finish.
                                    >
                                    > Thanks,
                                    >

                                    > Jeff Martin
                                    > Senior Developer
                                    > Smith Seckman Reid, Inc.
                                    > Phone: (615) 460-0528
                                    > Email: jmartin@... <mailto:jmartin@...>
                                    > http://www.ssr-inc.com <http://www.ssr-inc.com/>
                                    >
                                    > Notice: This message is confidential, is intended only for the named
                                    > recipient(s) and may contain information that is privileged or exempt
                                    > from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended
                                    > recipient(s), you are notified that the dissemination, distribution or
                                    > copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you received this
                                    > message and are not an intended recipient, please delete it from your
                                    > computer system without copying or forwarding it, and notify the sender
                                    > by either sending a return e-mail or calling the number above.

                                    --
                                    Nicholas Cancelliere, Austin TX
                                    "The wide world is all about you: you can fence yourselves in, but you cannot for ever fence it out." -Gildor, Fellowship of the Ring (Lord of the Rings)

                                    --
                                    I rather like the idea of being thought of as a shit  - a common conceit among those who don't realize just how shitty they really are." - Clive James
                                  • Nicholas Cancelliere
                                    Message 17 of 22 , May 10, 2007

                                      I think a lot of the European guys call it a "daily scrum" because of the sport by the same name - where they huddle.

                                      Nicholas

                                    • rminer151@earthlink.net
                                      Message 18 of 22 , May 18, 2008
                                        "I am looking for some approaches to shift our scrums' dynamics
                                        so the teams are owning the scrum more than me."

                                        You indicated that you are doing a roll call for the team - depending on how related the teams work is I would suggest that the two different scrum teams do their own daily scrum meeting. Even if the teams share a daily scrum - they should not need to have the scrum master determine the order in which the speak. I would just remind them of the purpose of the daily scrum and let them figure it out. We have daily scrums with people in three locations and the team has a designated "set up the conference call" person who is not the scrum master and they start the meeting with "Who wants to speak first" there is normally a brief pause and then if no one is eager to go first - somebody speaks up as all are motivate to keeping the meeting short.

                                        Keep up trying to shift the ownership to the team so they can get the benefits of the meeting when you are unable to attend.

                                        Good luck
                                        Ralph Miner

                                      • Jim Schiel
                                        Message 19 of 22 , May 20, 2008
                                          1. Bring nothing to take notes on.
                                          2. Break eye contact once the meeting begins.
                                          3. Use a token that the team passes around to decide who speaks next.
                                          4. Start the meeting and be unexpectedly called away for a few minutes.
                                          5. Hold the meeting around a story wall and have whomever is speaking stand at the wall making the updates as they go.
                                          6. Stand up.
                                          7. Look at someone who ISN'T talking (similar to breaking eye contact)
                                          8. Designate someone else to run the daily scrum and rotate responsibility
                                          9. Make no comments during the meeting - save your thoughts for private discussions afterward.
                                          10. Ask the team what they would like you to do.

                                          Jim Schiel
                                          CST, Danube Technologies, Inc.

                                          On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 7:11 AM, <rminer151@...> wrote:
[...]

                                        • Tobias Mayer

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jun 3, 2008
                                              I did a post in my blog about this.

                                              http://hugo-palma.blogspot.com/2008/05/how-to-give-ownership-of-daily-scrum-to.html

                                              Feel free to comment.

                                              Jim Schiel wrote:
[...]

                                            • Mitch Lacey
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Jun 3, 2008

                                                I posted an article on Scrum Alliance that introduces the 4th question in the standup.

                                                http://www.scrumalliance.org/articles/95-fourwarned-is-forearmed

                                                You might find it of interest.