Tools, Tools, Scrum Tools!

  • Eric Chamberlain
    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 30, 2003
      Tools, Tools, Scrum Tools!

      Greetings all,

      I am working in a Scrum-oriented team at present and we are in sprint 5.  Things have gone pretty well and we are well-convinced that Scrum helps us a lot.  I have searched the archives of this discussion group and have looked around the internet for software tools to help manage the burndown and the backlog but have been rather disappointed so far.  This is what I have found:

      At http://www.controlchaos.com/certifiedscrum/org.htm, there is the "Certified Scrum" which offers a software package bundled with the certification program but the program is listed at US$15000  (ouch!) for a *single* project license.  There also seems to be no evaluation download option for the software.

      Recently, I heard of an offering from VersionOne (http://versionone.net/scrum.asp) which started offering a Scrum-oriented tool as of only this month.  E-mails to them have gone unanswered and there is no pricing information on their web site (nor have I found an evaluation copy option) so I don't know either what they really have to offer or whether it is worth whatever they're charging.

      These are just two options.  I would like more.  Does anyone know of other options?  Scrum is a great idea but it is hard to sell to management when management tools for Scrum are so hard (and/or dear) to come by!

      Thanks.

      Eric Chamberlain | Software Engineer | 425 355-6655 | eric.chamberlain@... | www.creo.com
      <<...OLE_Obj...>>

    • Mike Beedle
      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 30, 2003
        Message
        We use XPlanner with great success,

        the only compromise right now, is that it captures "time worked" in a task as
        opposed to "time to completion".

        But it is a great tool,

        - Mike

        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 30, 2003
          Message

          Excel seems to do the job just fine for me.  A worksheet for the product backlog, one for the sprint backlog, and the chart wizard creates a burndown chart in a few minutes.  No add-ins needed.

          Karl
[...]

          BBCi at http://www.bbc.co.uk/

          stated.
          BBC monitors e-mails sent or received.
        • Mike Beedle
          Message 4 of 26 , Oct 30, 2003
            Here is the list of XP/Scrum tools that I know of:

            ScrumProduct - most accurate
            http://www.controlchaos.com/certifiedscrum/

            A wiki - setup a project by creating a page, then setup each Sprint
            in separate pages, then setup stories in separate pages, then
            setup tasks in different stories. More on wikis at:
            http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WikiWikiClones

            MS Excel -- same structure as above but stopping at the Sprint level
            (no new tabs for stories)

            Shared File - A collection of shared files (electronic of otherwise)
            with the same structured as described above i.e. one file per Sprint
            and naming conventions for stories tasks e.g. "STORY 1 - do this and
            that."
            That's what I used on my first Scrum project and it worked quite well.

            XPlanner - pretty close to Scrum other than the "time to completion"
            thing
            http://www.xplanner.org

            XpCgi
            http://xpcgi.sourceforge.net/

            XPWeb
            http://xpweb.sf.net/

            TWiki/ XPTrackerPlugin
            http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Plugins/XpTrackerPlugin

            M-ASE
            http://sern.ucalgary.ca/%7Emilos/mase/M-ASE.htm

            Iterate
            http://www.diamond-sky.com/products/iterate/

            XpPlanIt
            http://www.xpplanit.com/

            VersionOne
            http://www.versionone.net/

            Scope
            http://www.selectbs.com/products/products/scope_manager.htm">

            Bugzilla - you probably have to use naming conventions to break
            down stories and use dependencies
            http://www.bugzilla.org

            GNATS - ready for Scrum per Jeff Sutherland
            http://www.gnu.org/directory/GNU/gnats.html

            Double Chocolate -- Awesome tool!!!
            http://www.gnu.org/directory/GNU/dcl.html

            Scarab - no time estimates but expandable out of the box
            http://scarab.tigris.org/

            I am probably missing a few, anybody else has more tools Scrum friendly
            tools?

            - Mike

[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Ken Schwaber
            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 30, 2003
              Tools, Tools, Scrum Tools!
              Eric,
              The tool is free to all certified scrummasters. You only pay for it if you are an organization that is independently licensing the Scrum methodology. I think if you ask everyone, they will agree that the excel add-in isn't worth $15,000.
              Ken

              Message 6 of 26 , Oct 31, 2003
                On Thursday, October 30, 2003, at 12:02:38 PM, Eric Chamberlain wrote:

                > I am working in a Scrum-oriented team at present and we are in sprint 5.
                > Things have gone pretty well and we are well-convinced that Scrum helps us a
                > lot. I have searched the archives of this discussion group and have looked
                > around the internet for software tools to help manage the burndown and the
                > backlog but have been rather disappointed so far.

                How many items in your backlog? How many are you burning in every sprint?
                What's wrong with a piece of paper and a crayon, or Excel?

                Please state the nature of the development emergency. -- Ryan Ripley
              • Eric Chamberlain
                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 3, 2003
                  Well, our backlog management is not really the issue. It is more the
                  collective burn-down. We were giving our burn-downs in the daily Scrum
                  meeting and then recording that to an excel spreadsheet but two things
                  changed at the start of the last sprint: (1) A new scrummaster/manager came
                  on-line who's been doing semi-XP and (2) apparently some members of the team
                  didn't feel comfortable declaring their burn-down at the scrum meeting. The
                  new manager brought in an XP tool which seems to obscure the actual
                  burn-down of the sprint so I was looking for a Scrum alternative which would
                  restore the clarity of the burndown (that's the concensus of the team, not
                  just my opinion) and thus one of the big benefits that our team has enjoyed
                  from Scrum.

                  A return to the spreadsheet stands as an alternative but the new scrummaster
                  seems to want to shoe-horn us into the XP tool and is resistant to using
                  Excel here. I am trying to find a "third way" so we're all happy.

                  Make sense?

                  > How many items in your backlog? How many are you burning in
                  > every sprint? What's wrong with a piece of paper and a
                  > crayon, or Excel?
                  >
                  > Ron Jeffries
                  > www.XProgramming.com
                  > Please state the nature of the development emergency. -- Ryan Ripley

                  > ---------------------~--> KnowledgeStorm has over 22,000 B2B
                  > technology solutions. The most comprehensive IT buyers'
                  > information available. Research, compare, decide. E-Commerce
                  > | Application Dev | Accounting-Finance | Healthcare | Project
                  > Mgt | Sales-Marketing | More
                  > http://us.click.yahoo.com/IMai8D/UYQGAA/c> IoLAA/9EfwlB/TM

                • Bryan Zarnett
                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 3, 2003
                    If the tool is getting in the way for whatever silly reason. Drop the
                    tool. I find it scary how people are obsessing on Excel. The tool is
                    not the approach, it's just a tool.

                    In the words of Bruce:

                    "Don't think; feel. It's like a finger pointing away to the moon.
                    Don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all the heavenly
                    glory." Bruce Lee in Enter The Dragon (1974)

                    --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Eric Chamberlain

                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 3, 2003
                      You need to send the new manager to the certified scrummaster class so that
                      he will find out how to behave like a ScrumMaster. In the meantime, bring
                      his "tool" up as an impediment that he has to remove, and remind him of the
                      agile manifesto, which is people over process and tools.
                      Ken Schwaber

                      Well, our backlog management is not really the issue. It is more the
                      collective burn-down. We were giving our burn-downs in the daily Scrum
                      meeting and then recording that to an excel spreadsheet but two things
                      changed at the start of the last sprint: (1) A new scrummaster/manager came
                      on-line who's been doing semi-XP and (2) apparently some members of the team
                      didn't feel comfortable declaring their burn-down at the scrum meeting. The
                      new manager brought in an XP tool which seems to obscure the actual
                      burn-down of the sprint so I was looking for a Scrum alternative which would
                      restore the clarity of the burndown (that's the concensus of the team, not
                      just my opinion) and thus one of the big benefits that our team has enjoyed
                      from Scrum.

                      A return to the spreadsheet stands as an alternative but the new scrummaster
                      seems to want to shoe-horn us into the XP tool and is resistant to using
                      Excel here. I am trying to find a "third way" so we're all happy.

                      Make sense?

                      > How many items in your backlog? How many are you burning in
                      > every sprint? What's wrong with a piece of paper and a
                      > crayon, or Excel?
                      >
                      > Ron Jeffries
                      > www.XProgramming.com
                      > Please state the nature of the development emergency. -- Ryan Ripley

                      > ---------------------~--> KnowledgeStorm has over 22,000 B2B
                      > technology solutions. The most comprehensive IT buyers'
                      > information available. Research, compare, decide. E-Commerce
                      > | Application Dev | Accounting-Finance | Healthcare | Project
                      > Mgt | Sales-Marketing | More
                      > http://us.click.yahoo.com/IMai8D/UYQGAA/c> IoLAA/9EfwlB/TM

                    • Mark Botticelli
                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 7, 2003
                        I am not sure if you are aware, but this is a god
                        digest of the yahoo group emails.

                        http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.scrum.general/first=1/last=50

                        http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
                      • Tolga Erkal
                        Message 11 of 26 , Oct 20, 2006
                          Hi,

                          It is very interesting noone has mentioned "ScrumWorks"
                          http://danube.com/scrumworks that looks very stable and absolutely
                          FREE.

                          Any ideas

                          Tolga Erkal
                          Sr. Project Manager|Fusebox.inc

                          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Beedle" <beedlem@...>
                          wrote:

                          > Here is the list of XP/Scrum tools that I know of:
                          >
                          > ScrumProduct - most accurate
                          > http://www.controlchaos.com/certifiedscrum/
                          >
                          > A wiki - setup a project by creating a page, then setup each
                          Sprint
                          > in separate pages, then setup stories in separate pages, then
                          > setup tasks in different stories. More on wikis at:
                          > http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WikiWikiClones
                          >
                          > MS Excel -- same structure as above but stopping at the Sprint
                          level
                          > (no new tabs for stories)
                          >
                          > Shared File - A collection of shared files (electronic of
                          otherwise)
                          > with the same structured as described above i.e. one file per
                          Sprint
                          > and naming conventions for stories tasks e.g. "STORY 1 - do this
                          and
                          > that."
                          > That's what I used on my first Scrum project and it worked quite
                          well.

                          > XPlanner - pretty close to Scrum other than the "time to
                          completion"
                          > thing
                          > http://www.xplanner.org
                          >
                          > XpCgi
                          > http://xpcgi.sourceforge.net/
                          >
                          > XPWeb
                          > http://xpweb.sf.net/
                          >
                          > TWiki/ XPTrackerPlugin
                          > http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Plugins/XpTrackerPlugin
                          >
                          > M-ASE
                          > http://sern.ucalgary.ca/%7Emilos/mase/M-ASE.htm
                          >
                          > Iterate
                          > http://www.diamond-sky.com/products/iterate/
                          >
                          > XpPlanIt
                          > http://www.xpplanit.com/
                          >
                          > VersionOne
                          > http://www.versionone.net/
                          >
                          > Scope
                          > http://www.selectbs.com/products/products/scope_manager.htm">
                          >
                          > Bugzilla - you probably have to use naming conventions to break
                          > down stories and use dependencies
                          > http://www.bugzilla.org
                          >
                          > GNATS - ready for Scrum per Jeff Sutherland
                          > http://www.gnu.org/directory/GNU/gnats.html
                          >
                          > Double Chocolate -- Awesome tool!!!
                          > http://www.gnu.org/directory/GNU/dcl.html
                          >
                          > Scarab - no time estimates but expandable out of the box
                          > http://scarab.tigris.org/
                          >

                          > I am probably missing a few, anybody else has more tools Scrum
                          friendly
                          > tools?
                          >
                          > - Mike

                          Service.

                          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                          Service.

                        • Mike Cohn
                          Message 12 of 26 , Oct 20, 2006
                            Here are a few more:

                            Scrum for Team System, www.scrumforteamsystem.com

                            Rally, www.rallydev.com

                            ExtremePlanner, www.extremeplanner.com

                            Target Process, www.targetprocess.com

                            ProjectCards -- www.projectcards.com

                            eXPlainPMT -- www.explainpmt.com (but not working right now)

                            One of the best tools I've seen was on Monday while visiting a client site. They had written their own tool from Scrum and it was quite nice. I encouraged them to open source it at some point and they sound likely to do so.

                            Regards,
                            Mike Cohn
                            Author:
                              Agile Estimating and Planning
                              User Stories Applied
                            www.mountaingoatsoftware.com

                            wrote:

                            > Here is the list of XP/Scrum tools that I know of:
                            >
                            > ScrumProduct - most accurate
                            > http://www.controlchaos.com/certifiedscrum/
                            >
                            > A wiki - setup a project by creating a page, then setup each
                            Sprint
                            > in separate pages, then setup stories in separate pages, then
                            > setup tasks in different stories. More on wikis at:
                            > http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WikiWikiClones
                            >
                            > MS Excel -- same structure as above but stopping at the Sprint
                            level
                            > (no new tabs for stories)
                            >
                            > Shared File - A collection of shared files (electronic of
                            otherwise)
                            > with the same structured as described above i.e. one file per
                            Sprint
                            > and naming conventions for stories tasks e.g. "STORY 1 - do this
                            and
                            > that."
                            > That's what I used on my first Scrum project and it worked quite
                            well.

                            > XPlanner - pretty close to Scrum other than the "time to
                            completion"
                            > thing
                            > http://www.xplanner.org
                            >
                            > XpCgi
                            > http://xpcgi.sourceforge.net/
                            >
                            > XPWeb
                            > http://xpweb.sf.net/
                            >
                            > TWiki/ XPTrackerPlugin
                            > http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Plugins/XpTrackerPlugin
                            >
                            > M-ASE
                            > http://sern.ucalgary.ca/%7Emilos/mase/M-ASE.htm
                            >
                            > Iterate
                            > http://www.diamond-sky.com/products/iterate/
                            >
                            > XpPlanIt
                            > http://www.xpplanit.com/
                            >
                            > VersionOne
                            > http://www.versionone.net/
                            >
                            > Scope
                            > http://www.selectbs.com/products/products/scope_manager.htm">
                            >
                            > Bugzilla - you probably have to use naming conventions to break
                            > down stories and use dependencies
                            > http://www.bugzilla.org
                            >
                            > GNATS - ready for Scrum per Jeff Sutherland
                            > http://www.gnu.org/directory/GNU/gnats.html
                            >
                            > Double Chocolate -- Awesome tool!!!
                            > http://www.gnu.org/directory/GNU/dcl.html
                            >
                            > Scarab - no time estimates but expandable out of the box
                            > http://scarab.tigris.org/
                            >

                            > I am probably missing a few, anybody else has more tools Scrum
                            friendly
                            > tools?
                            >
                            > - Mike

                            Service.

                            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                            Service.

                          • Matt Truxaw
                            Message 13 of 26 , Oct 21, 2006
                              We use VersionOne and it works pretty well for us. I don't know if
                              it's better than a big white board or index cards for a local team,
                              but we have some folks spread out around the country and around the
                              globe. Having a web based system like V-1 makes things much easier
                              for us.

                              V-1 is not perfect. It's interface can be somewhat clunky and
                              unintuitive at first, but you come up to speed pretty quickly. Some
                              of the reporting could also be improved. I hear the newest release
                              has the capability to actually do some ad hoc querying of data which
                              might help with that, but I haven't used that release yet.

                              Bottom line...a good tool, but don't depend on a tool to get you
                              there. The tool just helps you see where you've been along the way.

                              <Eric.Chamberlain@...> wrote:

                              > Greetings all,
                              >
                              > I am working in a Scrum-oriented team at present and we are in
                              sprint 5.
                              > Things have gone pretty well and we are well-convinced that Scrum
                              helps us a
                              > lot. I have searched the archives of this discussion group and
                              have looked
                              > around the internet for software tools to help manage the burndown
                              and the
                              > backlog but have been rather disappointed so far. This is what I
                              have
                              > found:
                              >
                              > At http://www.controlchaos.com/certifiedscrum/org.htm
                              > <http://www.controlchaos.com/certifiedscrum/org.htm> , there is the
                              > "Certified Scrum" which offers a software package bundled with the
                              > certification program but the program is listed at US$15000
                              (ouch!) for a
                              > *single* project license. There also seems to be no evaluation
                              download
                              > option for the software.
                              >
                              > Recently, I heard of an offering from VersionOne
                              > (http://versionone.net/scrum.asp
                              <http://versionone.net/scrum.asp> ) which
                              > started offering a Scrum-oriented tool as of only this month. E-
                              mails to
                              > them have gone unanswered and there is no pricing information on
                              their web
                              > site (nor have I found an evaluation copy option) so I don't know
                              either
                              > what they really have to offer or whether it is worth whatever
                              they're
                              > charging.
                              >
                              > These are just two options. I would like more. Does anyone know
                              of other
                              > options? Scrum is a great idea but it is hard to sell to
                              management when
                              > management tools for Scrum are so hard (and/or dear) to come by!
                              >
                              > Thanks.
                              >
                              > Eric Chamberlain | Software Engineer | 425 355-6655 |
                              > eric.chamberlain@... | www.creo.com <www.creo.com>
                              > <<...OLE_Obj...>>

                            • seansemone
                              Message 14 of 26 , Oct 22, 2006
                                We use two tools from atlassian.com. One is their very flexible issue
                                tracker: Jira and the other is their wiki (Confluence) which we use to
                                host project spaces (and the burndown charts, which are easily built
                                from excel based on data output from Jira -- alternatively we could
                                use their API to build one within Jira).

                                What is nice about Jira is that we can also use it as our general
                                purpose bug-tracker. Confluence also has some nice features (like its
                                email archive).
                              • Bil Simser
                                Message 15 of 26 , Oct 22, 2006
                                  I posted a short summary with links (all verified) of the Scrum tools that
                                  have been listed here as well as others that I've tried out. Feel free to
                                  add or update to the entry if I've missed anything important.
                                  http://weblogs.asp.net/bsimser/archive/2006/10/21/Scrum-Tools-Roundup.aspx

                                • Wolfgang Schulze Zachau
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Oct 23, 2006
                                    Just to update the list below: Iterate from Diamond Sky is no longer
                                    available.

                                    Regards,

                                    Wolfgang

                                  • Wolfgang Schulze Zachau
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Oct 23, 2006
                                      The link to M-ASE doesn't work (at least not for me).

                                      Regards,

                                      Wolfgang

                                    • Jim Murphy
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Oct 23, 2006
                                        My org has several simultaneous projects going on that involve the same
                                        people:

                                        1. New Product Development
                                        2. Customer Support
                                        3. Website/e-commerce work

                                        These are pretty typical things for folks in a software startup to be
                                        concerned with. In our case our engineering team has involvement in all of
                                        them. I understand that multiple scrum teams can be formed and a members
                                        availability can be adjusted for planning but is this realistic and is it
                                        missing the point of "focus" for the team members?

                                        Jim
                                      • David Hodge
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Oct 23, 2006
                                          Trac is a defect/issue tracking tool and wiki in one.  It can support CruiseControl and has a plugin for Scrum. I have not used the Scrum Plugin but Trac is great.  It also integrates with Subversion so in the wiki you can reference changesets from Subversion and track them.

                                          http://trac.edgewall.org/

                                          Plug in for Scrum Burndown Charts:

                                          http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/ScrumBurndownPlugin

                                          David Y. Hodge

                                          On 10/22/06, seansemone <semone@...> wrote:

                                          We use two tools from atlassian.com. One is their very flexible issue
                                          tracker: Jira and the other is their wiki (Confluence) which we use to
                                          host project spaces (and the burndown charts, which are easily built
                                          from excel based on data output from Jira -- alternatively we could
                                          use their API to build one within Jira).

                                          What is nice about Jira is that we can also use it as our general
                                          purpose bug-tracker. Confluence also has some nice features (like its
                                          email archive).

                                        • jspthomson
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Oct 24, 2006
                                            I would like to add IceScrum. (www.icescrum.org).

                                            Jens

                                            --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "David Hodge" <dyhodge@...>
                                            wrote:

                                            > Trac is a defect/issue tracking tool and wiki in one. It can
                                            support
                                            > CruiseControl and has a plugin for Scrum. I have not used the Scrum
                                            Plugin
                                            > but Trac is great. It also integrates with Subversion so in the
                                            wiki you
                                            > can reference changesets from Subversion and track them.
                                            >
                                            > http://trac.edgewall.org/
                                            >

                                            > Plug in for Scrum Burndown Charts:
                                            >
                                            > http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/ScrumBurndownPlugin
                                            >
                                            > David Y. Hodge
                                            >

                                            > On 10/22/06, seansemone <semone@...> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > We use two tools from atlassian.com. One is their very flexible
                                            issue
                                            > > tracker: Jira and the other is their wiki (Confluence) which we
                                            use to
                                            > > host project spaces (and the burndown charts, which are easily
                                            built
                                            > > from excel based on data output from Jira -- alternatively we
                                            could
                                            > > use their API to build one within Jira).
                                            > >
                                            > > What is nice about Jira is that we can also use it as our general
                                            > > purpose bug-tracker. Confluence also has some nice features (like
                                            its
                                            > > email archive).

                                          • Hubert Smits
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Oct 24, 2006
                                              Hi Jim,

                                              Thank you for your question, it is a good one. The answer depends on the priority that your product owner sets for the team. If he chooses to prioritize customer support over website work, then the team can take on more features from customer support (or block more time of the day for unplanned customer support work). If your team is large enough, you can split it around two or three of the projects you list. But all depends on what you product owner wants, this is how she stears product development, and with that the success of the company.

                                              --Hubert

                                              On 10/23/06, Jim Murphy <jim.murphy@...> wrote:
                                              My org has several simultaneous projects going on that involve the same
                                              people:

                                              1. New Product Development
                                              2. Customer Support
                                              3. Website/e-commerce work

                                              These are pretty typical things for folks in a software startup to be
                                              concerned with.  In our case our engineering team has involvement in all of
                                              them.  I understand that multiple scrum teams can be formed and a members
                                              availability can be adjusted for planning but is this realistic and is it
                                              missing the point of "focus" for the team members?

                                              Jim

                                              Yahoo! Groups Links

                                              <*> Your email settings:
                                                  Individual Email | Traditional

                                              <*> To change settings online go to:
                                                  (Yahoo! ID required)

                                              <*> To change settings via email:
                                                  mailto:scrumdevelopment-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                                  mailto:scrumdevelopment-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                              --

                                              All opinions in this message are my own, and are not necessarily shared by my employer.
                                            • skjnorrman
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Oct 27, 2006
                                                Will we get a part 2 of this roundup? Some new applications has been
                                                added during the last week...

                                                Regards,
                                                Johan Norrman

                                                --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Bil Simser <bsimser@...>
                                                wrote:

                                                > I posted a short summary with links (all verified) of the Scrum
                                                tools that
                                                > have been listed here as well as others that I've tried out. Feel
                                                free to
                                                > add or update to the entry if I've missed anything important.
                                                > http://weblogs.asp.net/bsimser/archive/2006/10/21/Scrum-Tools-
                                                Roundup.aspx

                                              • Bil Simser
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Oct 27, 2006
                                                  I'll scan the list this weekend and post a followup. Sorry, haven't been
                                                  checking as I have a couple of other cats I'm juggling. Thanks.

                                                • Keith Ray
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Oct 30, 2006
                                                    For a bit more about maintaining focus or lack of it, take a look at

                                                    http://www.jrothman.com/weblog/2006/04/convincing-management-that-context.html

                                                    "A few weeks ago, I republished an article originally published in
                                                    Better Software: Convincing Management That Context Switching Is a Bad
                                                    Idea"

                                                    Also look at the blog comments and the article referenced.

                                                    --

                                                    C. Keith Ray
                                                  • teckmx5
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Jul 17 9:29 AM
                                                      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Beedle" <beedlem@...> wrote:

                                                      > Here is the list of XP/Scrum tools that I know of:
                                                      >
                                                      > ScrumProduct - most accurate
                                                      > http://www.controlchaos.com/certifiedscrum/
                                                      >
                                                      > A wiki - setup a project by creating a page, then setup each Sprint
                                                      > in separate pages, then setup stories in separate pages, then
                                                      > setup tasks in different stories. More on wikis at:
                                                      > http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WikiWikiClones
                                                      >
                                                      > MS Excel -- same structure as above but stopping at the Sprint level
                                                      > (no new tabs for stories)
                                                      >
                                                      > Shared File - A collection of shared files (electronic of otherwise)
                                                      > with the same structured as described above i.e. one file per Sprint
                                                      > and naming conventions for stories tasks e.g. "STORY 1 - do this and
                                                      > that."
                                                      > That's what I used on my first Scrum project and it worked quite well.
                                                      >
                                                      > XPlanner - pretty close to Scrum other than the "time to completion"
                                                      > thing
                                                      > http://www.xplanner.org
                                                      >
                                                      > XpCgi
                                                      > http://xpcgi.sourceforge.net/
                                                      >
                                                      > XPWeb
                                                      > http://xpweb.sf.net/
                                                      >
                                                      > TWiki/ XPTrackerPlugin
                                                      > http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Plugins/XpTrackerPlugin
                                                      >
                                                      > M-ASE
                                                      > http://sern.ucalgary.ca/%7Emilos/mase/M-ASE.htm
                                                      >
                                                      > Iterate
                                                      > http://www.diamond-sky.com/products/iterate/
                                                      >
                                                      > XpPlanIt
                                                      > http://www.xpplanit.com/
                                                      >
                                                      > VersionOne
                                                      > http://www.versionone.net/
                                                      >
                                                      > Scope
                                                      > http://www.selectbs.com/products/products/scope_manager.htm">
                                                      >
                                                      > Bugzilla - you probably have to use naming conventions to break
                                                      > down stories and use dependencies
                                                      > http://www.bugzilla.org
                                                      >
                                                      > GNATS - ready for Scrum per Jeff Sutherland
                                                      > http://www.gnu.org/directory/GNU/gnats.html
                                                      >
                                                      > Double Chocolate -- Awesome tool!!!
                                                      > http://www.gnu.org/directory/GNU/dcl.html
                                                      >
                                                      > Scarab - no time estimates but expandable out of the box
                                                      > http://scarab.tigris.org/
                                                      >

                                                      > I am probably missing a few, anybody else has more tools Scrum friendly
                                                      > tools?
                                                      >
                                                      > - Mike

                                                      Hi Mike,

                                                      there is also the open Source Scrum Tool:
                                                      Agilo for Scrum: http://www.agile42.com/cms/pages/agilo/

                                                      Cheers
                                                      M.

                                                    • Alan Dayley