Bombastic

  • Jens Østergaard
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 30, 2003
      Sorry if I were a bit bombastic in my message concerning the number
      of weeks a sprint should last.

      My concern is that this fine method, called Scrum, will lose in
      value, if it is tampered with to much. As Ken said in Edinburgh, let
      us worry about some consultant company, that start misusing it to
      earn a lot of money.

      What I would like to know is, when is it Scrum and when is it not
      Scrum? How much can you bend the theories and still call it Scrum?

      I think Boris link to "Inspired by Work"
      http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/29/inspired.html
      gives some clues, of how difficult it can be?

      Jens (who hopes nobody feels offended)
    • Christian Sepulveda
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 30, 2003

        I think this only matters depending on perspective. From an internal
        point of view, that of the project using Scrum, it doesn't matter. If
        the process is working, who cares what it is called.

        From an external point of view, that of industry or community, the
        name has significance. Part of fostering the acceptance of agile
        development is education. This requires being able to name what is
        agile and what is not, what is Scrum and what is not, etc. From this
        point of view, the "what's in a name" debate is necessary to monitor
        and defend abuse of the agile brand / identity.

        Chris

        cs@...
        www.atdesigntime.com
        www.christiansepulveda.com/blog
        tel: 646.522.0654
        fax: 888.453.0790
      • Jim McCusker
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 30, 2003
          Jens Østergaard wrote:

          >Sorry if I were a bit bombastic in my message concerning the number
          >of weeks a sprint should last.
          >
          >My concern is that this fine method, called Scrum, will lose in
          >value, if it is tampered with to much. As Ken said in Edinburgh, let
          >us worry about some consultant company, that start misusing it to
          >earn a lot of money.

          I was actually wondering what the community's view was if someone were
          to add 2 weeks to a sprint - mostly because the time given from start to
          code freeze was 6 weeks instead of 30 days.

          Thanks,
          Jim
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 31, 2003
            On Thursday, October 30, 2003, at 12:36:51 PM, Jim McCusker wrote:

            > I was actually wondering what the community's view was if someone were
            > to add 2 weeks to a sprint - mostly because the time given from start to
            > code freeze was 6 weeks instead of 30 days.

            Two shorter sprints would provide better feedback and more flexibility on
            the part of the PM.

            Do, or do not. There is no try. --Yoda
          • Ken Schwaber
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 2, 2003
              A six week sprint is long enough that the team starts to require
              documentation, additional models, additional communication vehicles to
              remind them of their prior work and decisions. Sprints can be longer or
              shorter than thirty calendar days, but each direction has its downside and
              loss of productivity and collaboration. However, the world isn't optimal
              either.
              Ken