Re: very long product backlog

  • Jens Ƙstergaard
    Message 1 of 49 , Oct 28, 2003
      Hi

      This is an interesting discussion but i must say I am very suspicious
      about shortening the sprints. It seems to me that everybody wants to
      change the SCRUM theories. As a SCRUM master in my company, one of my
      hardest jobs, is to tell people, not to start changing theories
      before we have a referance plan. Seems to me, everybody at my company
      have come up with ideas of how to improve SCRUM. If I would follow
      all of them, we would end up with 4 hour sprints, consisting of 2
      people.

      My most important argument against shortening sprints, is that it
      gives the team decreased respronsibilty, which thereby gives
      decreased enjoyment, decreased team dynamic and decreased efficiency.
      Buisness owners usually wants more control and are worried that the
      team can not handle it. I belive it is a SCRUM Masters job to educate
      the buissnes, about letting go. Trust the team, they are good and
      responsible people. But, if the team wants to decrease a certain
      sprint, then I would probably do it for that particular sprint.

      SCRUM is a proven method, when you choose to follow the methodology.
      I am a beliver of 4 week sprints.

      Jens

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Karl Scotland"
      <karl.scotland@b...> wrote:

> [...]
      With

    • PaulOldfield1@compuserve.com
      Message 49 of 49 , Nov 26, 2003
        (responding to Deb)

        > Can anyone recommend articles, other references, on
        > Fear and Agile? Of course I'll check Alistair's book first,
        > since his slant is always to the people side of things...
        > what else?

        It's probably worth looking at
        www.aptprocess.com/whitepapers/risk/RiskToPatternTable_files/RiskToPatternT
        able.htm
        ...look in particular for Inaccurate Risk Perception
        but you might find other topics useful. (feedback
        always welcome).

        Paul Oldfield
        ww.aptprocess.com