Re: Splinter Department

  • mpoppendieck
    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 7 7:34 AM
      Mike, I don't think I explained the 15% rule well enough. People
      are specifically NOT working on Backlog in their 15% time. They are
      working on their own cool idea. Generally it is not related to any
      projects they are assigned to in the other 85% of their time. The
      whole point is that people are free to tackle anything they are
      interested in during this time. If they had to get their idea from
      a Backlog, that would defeat the purpose.

      By the way, this is how 3M starts up hundreds of new product
      projects every year, and is able to continually diversify into new
      businesses.

      Mary

      --- In scrumdevelopment@y..., "Mike Beedle" <beedlem@e...> wrote:

      > Very interesting. Relating this back to Scrum a bit, this
      > would mean that the task was assigned on the Product Backlog --
      > because all the planned work needs to be there, and that to
      > accomplish this work it would have to be allocated to the
      > Sprint Backlog with special rules:
      > 1) do this optionally, 2) use up to 15% of your time on it,
      > 3) engage others as needed, 4) report progress in the Daily
      > Scrums.
      >
      > This is a very interesting approach, Product Backlog and
      > Sprint Backlog with rules.
      >
      > On occasion, we have had some of that, but I don't think it
      > has been formalized by anyone. I think this is a valid and
      > productive way of doing things. The Scrum Master would
      > help the team members enforce the rules, of course.
      >
      > The only qualm I would have, is that it can get fairly
      > complicated as the number of rules increases, but I guess
      > different teams would have different rule tolerances ;-)
      >
      > If you don't mind Mary, I'd like to borrow this one for
      > my next Scrum project,
      >
      > - Mike

    • Jonas Bengtsson
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 7 7:37 AM
        How do you manage this when times get rough? For instance in the end of a
        sprint when you realise that the group won't be able to fulfil its
        commitment - do you allow the 15% than?
        Won't adding such things to the backlog and reporting in the daily scrums
        lead to unnecessary noise?
        What kind of activities will you approve?

        /Jonas

      • mpoppendieck
        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 7 7:43 AM
          The trick is that the the use of the 15% rule must be encouraged
          across the organization. This is sort of built-in organizational
          Slack (see Tom DeMarco's book by the same title).

          Mary

          --- In scrumdevelopment@y..., Paul <horked_noodle@y...> wrote:
          > I love 3M's 15% idea. It's a win-win for everyone!
          >
          > -- Paul

        • Paul Clanton
          Message 4 of 29 , Feb 7 1:19 PM

            For the sake of continuity, I’ve cobbled together some of the threads of this e-mail because I think that Mary and I have been saying similar things about the splinter projects and Jonas has raised some very good questions about the realities of life.

            Here’s my take on things.

            (1)   These projects take place outside of the Scrum and need no approval.  Oversight is minimal.  In terms of the Scrum process, these projects are a way to explore potential projects to add to the backlog.

            (2)   These projects are not optional (although your participation in somebody else’s project is).  Innovation is a life and death question for most organizations.  This is a relatively inexpensive way to ensure that innovation occurs.

            (3)   These projects are more important than any other projects (see #2 above) so even when times get rough, these projects are not sacrificed.  The one exception would be the project that MUST finish by a certain date or the company will suffer a major setback.  This same situation would trigger a canceling of all vacations and training, mandate overtime, etc. (Hopefully these are few and far between.)

            In comparing Mary’s 3M approach and the sabbatical idea I raised, I think the differences are superficial.  I suggested a two-week (i.e., 4%) sabbatical _at least_ once a year.  This does not preclude spending 15% (i.e., 7.5 weeks).  I am not sure how 3M expects this time to be allocated (e.g., continuous on a daily basis or in chunks) but I personally favor chunking it up.  After all, continuous, short, uninterrupted work is the essence of Scrum.  Moreover, this gives people time to recharge their work batteries just as a vacation gives them time to recharge their personal batteries.

            As always, comments, suggestions, slurs, and character assassinations are welcome.

            Paul

            Message 5 of 29 , Feb 8 10:00 AM
              The important thing about new product development at 3M is that
              the 'champion' of a new product develops a passion about that
              product, and inspires passion in others. It's very much like a
              new
              business venture. People who have a passion about something find
              the time to work on it, lunch time, come in early, stay late,
              weekends, whenever. People whose regular jobs get demanding simply
              spend less time on the `unofficial' project. The 15% is just
              term, it is not a hard and fast number. People do what they can,
              when they can, and are particularly careful not to let their regular
              jobs suffer.

              As an example, I led a team which met every week for 3 years at 7:30
              on Wednesday mornings. This was so regularly scheduled meetings,
              which tended to start at 8:30, would not interfere. At the end of
              the 3 years, attendance was averaging 25+ every single week, while
              there were less than 10 people officially assigned to the program.
              It was sort of like a Scrum meeting only it lasted about an hour.
              Almost everyone came to the weekly meeting; often that was the only
              thing that people did. But when they had an interest, could spare
              the time, and were needed, they would do more.

              People are very good about being dedicated to their regular jobs,
              and if they are totally captivated by their regular job, they are
              less likely to use any 15% time. Some people are bored by their
              jobs and some people just want to do new things. Having a way to
              get engaged with an endeavor of their own choosing gives these
              people a chance to follow a dream. At the same time – my
              observation – their regular work does not suffer at all. They
              are
              careful to be sure that their assignments get a fair share of their
              attention, perhaps *because* they had found a new interest in life,
              or perhaps in appreciation of being allowed to work on the new idea.

              There was really very little effort to track how scientists spend
              their time at 3M when I worked there. Sometimes government
              contracts required careful tracking, but in general, no one counted
              hours. I think that leaving the problem of handling a crisis to the
              people involved is the sensible approach. People who are motivated
              will do right by their employers and will come through when needed.
              Trying too hard to set up a structure is more or less an insult to
              the people who are capable of figuring this out for themselves.

              Mary

              --- In scrumdevelopment@y..., "Jonas Bengtsson" <jonas.b@h...> wrote:
              > How do you manage this when times get rough? For instance in the
              end of a
              > sprint when you realise that the group won't be able to fulfil its
              > commitment - do you allow the 15% than?
              > Won't adding such things to the backlog and reporting in the daily
              scrums
              > lead to unnecessary noise?
              > What kind of activities will you approve?
              >
              > /Jonas

            • Mike Beedle
              Message 6 of 29 , Feb 9 12:49 AM
                Mary wrote:
                > Mike, I don't think I explained the 15% rule well enough.
                > People are specifically NOT working on Backlog in their
                > 15% time. They are working on their own cool idea. Generally
                > it is not related to any projects they are assigned
                > to in the other 85% of their time. The whole point is
                > that people are free to tackle anything they are
                > interested in during this time. If they had to get
                > their idea from a Backlog, that would defeat the purpose.

                Mary:

                Thanks for the clarification.

                One of the promises that we make in Scrum is focus and
                commitment of every resources in delivering software
                according to the customer priorities. And the customer
                priorities are kept in the prioritized product backlog.

                So this would be difficult, but maybe not impossible in
                a traditional Scrum team.

                Paul's sabbatical would be more feasible, as long as the
                team member on sabbatical is _not_ in the Scrum team, he/she
                may spend time doing something else without dragging
                anyone with him/her,

                - Mike
              • Mike Beedle
                Message 7 of 29 , Feb 9 1:00 AM
                  Paul Clanton wrote:
                  > In comparing Mary’s 3M approach and the sabbatical
                  >idea I raised, I think the differences are
                  >superficial. I suggested a two-week (i.e., 4%)
                  >sabbatical _at least_ once a year. This does
                  >not preclude spending 15% (i.e., 7.5 weeks).
                  >I am not sure how 3M expects this time to be
                  >allocated (e.g., continuous on a daily basis
                  >or in chunks) but I personally favor chunking
                  >it up. After all, continuous, short, uninterrupted
                  >work is the essence of Scrum. Moreover, this
                  >gives people time to recharge their work batteries
                  >just as a vacation gives them time to recharge
                  >their personal batteries.

                  Paul,

                  Sorry I didn't get the same idea after Mary's
                  clarification:

                  Isn't the sabbatical outside the team and
                  the 15%-exploratory inside the team as Mary
                  described it?

                  (meta-comment "Here is my Scrum-centric mind
                  taking over my hands.")

                  This difference is significant. In Scrum, we
                  promise that the team will be focused and committed
                  and that it won't be working on anything else except
                  the Sprint Backlog, (which of course came from the
                  Product Backlog, and therefore came from
                  Customer's priorities).

                  I am starting to think the sabbatical is more
                  compatible with Scrum, if the activities are
                  not related to the customer's needs.

                  OTOH, if they are, they should be in the Product
                  Backlog, and prioritized and assigned to Sprint
                  Backlog like any other task,

                  - Mike
                • mpoppendieck
                  Message 8 of 29 , Feb 9 8:14 AM
                    When people go home from work, they coach their kids sports or
                    volunteer at church or train for triathlons or engage in other
                    passions. We certainly don't expect them to give this up for
                    work,
                    except maybe temporarily in a crisis. Some people come home from
                    working on a Scrum team and work on some Open Source code or put
                    together a database for a boy scout troop, and so on. The point of
                    the 15% rule is that people who get passionate about something other
                    than their regular jobs (but related to their company interests) are
                    encouraged to pursue the idea while on the job. By leveraging this
                    kind of passion, 3M gets hundreds of new products every year.

                    I wonder how we can expect every member of a Scrum team to be
                    totally committed to do nothing but work on the backlog over the
                    several months a project might run. It seems rather pretentious to
                    assume this. I suspect that a well-led Scrum team will motivate all
                    the team members to work only on the customer backlog. But if Scrum
                    becomes a way of life in an organization, it seems to me that the
                    organization should admit that some people on some Scrum teams might
                    get distracted and want to do something else some of the time. If
                    they can't do it at work, they will do it at home. 3M provides a
                    simple mechanism to allow everyone some slack, so they can follow
                    their passions at work, and in exchange, the company cashes in on
                    the results.

                    So I would argue that allowing (not scheduling, allowing) slack in
                    everyone's normal schedule, instead of expecting everyone to be
                    100%
                    committed to what their management wants them to do, is a good
                    thing.

                    --- In scrumdevelopment@y..., "Mike Beedle" <beedlem@e...> wrote:

                    > One of the promises that we make in Scrum is focus and
                    > commitment of every resources in delivering software
                    > according to the customer priorities. And the customer
                    > priorities are kept in the prioritized product backlog.
                    >
                    > So this would be difficult, but maybe not impossible in
                    > a traditional Scrum team.
                    >
                    > Paul's sabbatical would be more feasible, as long as the
                    > team member on sabbatical is _not_ in the Scrum team, he/she
                    > may spend time doing something else without dragging
                    > anyone with him/her,
                    >
                    > - Mike
                  • Mike Cohn
                    Message 9 of 29 , Feb 9 11:49 AM

                      I’ve dealt with this two ways in the past:

                      1)       allowing teams to take every Friday afternoon for use in pursuing any company they want *except* work on the main project to which they are assigned (whether Scrum-managed or not). This works well because it gives each person about 10% of their time to spend on any wild ideas they want. I’ve had individuals use this time for reading, for learning new languages, for “study groups” to go over important books in detail, to write magazine articles, etc. I don’t allow people to use the time to work on items in the current sprint backlog because sometimes that leads to peer pressure that forces others to work on the backlog.

                      2)       There is almost always some “friction” or slow time between sprints at some point on a project. In a typically well-run project there might be 3 – 4 sprints that can follow one right after another but usually after that you hit a period where somebody isn’t really ready for a new round of sprints (or they’re barely ready). A lot of times this will be the product management group (or whatever group in an organization defines the backlog/requirements). They may need to go do research with customers (that should have been done sooner) or such and there is a period where the team just doesn’t need to go full speed on the project. This is a great time to encourage people to get creative with how they spend their time.

                      Also, a fairly relevant question in all of this is whether most developers (programmers and otherwise) will come up with “new products” when left to their own devices for 15% of their time. It sounds like a small percentage of time but it’s not really and I’m not really sure it pays off to the benefits of a business to have every employee spend that much time “away” from mainline work.

                      In terms of just plain including slack in a schedule, that is very much a necessity but it’s different from telling people to spend 15% of their time on whatever they want. Every team is of course different so percentages are somewhat meaningless but I typically encourage a team to target around 60-70% occupied when they move items into a sprint backlog. So: if the sprint is 20 days * 8 hours that is 160 hours. I’ll encourage teams to pull in about 100 hours each of identified backlog. The rest is spent on whatever else takes up that team’s day (meetings, email, washing my car, etc.) but it also puts them into a mode right off where there isn’t undue pressure that leads to shortcuts. This is different from commitment to the project, though. The team is expected to be committed to the project 100% but slack is allowed in their schedules because they are all trusted to know how best to spend that time.  DeMarco’s latest book, “Slack” appropriately enough, is pretty good on the subject but gets pretty repetitious by the end.

                      --Mike

                      Message 10 of 29 , Feb 9 12:15 PM
                        I like your idea of Friday afternoon slack time. On the other hand,
                        as you noted, not everyone has something they want to pursue during
                        such time. That's why at 3M it is 'allowable' to charge 'up to' 15%
                        of your time on something outside your regular assignment. In
                        actual practice, at any given time, only a few people actually do
                        this. So if slack time is scheduled for everyone, you may loose
                        more time than you can afford.

                        I am reading between the lines a possible assumption that everyone
                        must work the same hours as everyone else on the team. Is this
                        considered necessary? Is there a problem with someone taking the
                        odd afternoon off to do something else, or leaving for an unrelated
                        meeting here and there? Is there a problem with someone coming in
                        at 7 and leaving at 4, while someone else comes in at 10 and leaves
                        at 7 (both on a regular basis)?

                      • Paul
                        Message 11 of 29 , Feb 9 12:43 PM
                          You just took a good idea and made it a bad one. I
                          really don't like this arm-twisting idea that every
                          Friday you will work on something outside of your
                          project. What happens when spring goals are not being
                          met? The better idea was 3M which leaves the decision
                          up to the individual who has other commitments (
                          Sprint Goals ).

                          -- Paul

                          http://greetings.yahoo.com
                        • Mike Cohn
                          Message 12 of 29 , Feb 9 3:02 PM

                            Personally, I’ve always let people work the hours they want unless some big wig tells me I can’t allow that. Many of the companies I’ve worked with—especially over the past 7 years—have been distributed across more than one time zone. At that point it’s irrelevant when people work or are in the office. In practice I never really care when people take their time off the mainline project. “Friday afternoon” was more symbolic than anything else. Certainly if someone wanted to attend a product user’s group meeting or such out of the office I’ve encouraged that whenever it was scheduled. The idea was to have the person spend some company time doing things that indirectly, rather than directly, benefit the project. Reading magazines, articles, web sites, etc. all count in that direction. Similarly, I’ve pushed programmers to attend conferences that are outside their normal realm in the past because I think these help encourage creative problem-solving. For example, I’ve sent C++ programmers to Eiffel conferences even though that company had no possibility of doing Eiffel programming. It just helps people learn to approach problems differently. That’s a good benefit to encouraging time away from the mainline project.

> [...]

                            I'll
                            > encourage teams to pull in about 100 hours each of identified
                            backlog.
                            > The rest is spent on whatever else takes up that team's day
                            (meetings,
                            > email, washing my car, etc.) but it also puts them into a mode
                            right off
                            > where there isn't undue pressure that leads to shortcuts. This is
                            > different from commitment to the project, though. The team is
                            expected
                            > to be committed to the project 100% but slack is allowed in their
                            > schedules because they are all trusted to know how best to spend
                            that
                            > time.  DeMarco's latest book, "Slack" appropriately enough, is
                            pretty
                            > good on the subject but gets pretty repetitious by the end.

                          • Mike Cohn
                            Message 13 of 29 , Feb 9 3:15 PM

                              You’re right—there can be problems with telling individuals on a team that the Friday afternoon “should” or “must” be spent off the project. I’ve never had a programmer consider it “arm-twisting” though. Usually what happens is that the programmer knows that Friday afternoon is his for anything remotely related to work as long as he has made respectable progress on his assignments and almost every programmer I’ve worked with will do whatever they can to be able to have that time for pursuing their own special interests.

                              Of course I’ve never truly forced a programmer not to work on the main project and work on outside things. If a project is behind, desperately needs a few hours, or was going to be in a position where people were going to come in over the weekend (rather voluntarily or not) it would be criminal to tell people not to code on Friday but to be in on Saturday. My comment about telling people that I don’t want them to work on the mainline task is more to fully get the point across that they are not going to impress me with their dedication or commitment by working on the project on Friday afternoon in most cases. With most developers it is very hard to convince them of your sincerity when you tell them you would really rather have them with their feet pitched up reading a good book or contributing to an open source project or such for that few hours a week.

                              Also, I want to be clear that I started my comment with “I’ve dealt with this two ways in the past…”.  While I think giving people dedicated time to pursue beneficial tasks outside the mainline project it is not how I’ve been doing it with teams over the past few years. I actually find it much better to just underallocate tasks to the sprint and establish a culture where people know it is OK to spend a little time each week (as appropriate, depending on where the project is and how the sprint is going) on unplanned tasks. However, it is not easy to establish this as part of the culture in most organizations, usually there’s a CEO or CFO or someone who walks around asking “why isn’t Johnny coding?”

                              --- Mike Cohn <mike@...> wrote:
> [...]

                              > into a sprint
                              > backlog. So: if the sprint is 20 days * 8 hours that
                              > is 160 hours. I'll
                              > encourage teams to pull in about 100 hours each of
                              > identified backlog.
                              > The rest is spent on whatever else takes up that
                              > team's day (meetings,
                              > email, washing my car, etc.) but it also puts them
                              > into a mode right off
                              > where there isn't undue pressure that leads to
                              > shortcuts. This is
                              > different from commitment to the project, though.
                              > The team is expected
                              > to be committed to the project 100% but slack is
                              > allowed in their
                              > schedules because they are all trusted to know how
                              > best to spend that
                              > time.  DeMarco's latest book, "Slack" appropriately
                              > enough, is pretty
                              > good on the subject but gets pretty repetitious by

                            • mpoppendieck
                              Message 14 of 29 , Feb 10 9:24 AM
> [...]
                                > this two ways in the past.". While I think giving people
                                dedicated time
                                > to pursue beneficial tasks outside the mainline project it is not
                                how
                                > I've been doing it with teams over the past few years. I actually
                                find
                                > it much better to just underallocate tasks to the sprint and
                                establish a
                                > culture where people know it is OK to spend a little time each
                                week (as
                                > appropriate, depending on where the project is and how the sprint
                                is
                                > going) on unplanned tasks. However, it is not easy to establish
                                this as
                                > part of the culture in most organizations, usually there's a CEO
                                or CFO
                                > or someone who walks around asking "why isn't Johnny coding?"

                                <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=221000.1882886.3382503.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1
                                707
                                > 209021:HM/A=965714/R=0/O=1/I=brandr-promo-flowersale-alerts-
                                lrecm/*http:
                                > /shopping.yahoo.com/promotions/flowers/index.html>
                                >

                                > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
                                M=221000.1882886.3382503.1261774/D=egrou
                                > pmail/S=1707209021:HM/A=965714/rand=548790149>

                              • Paul Clanton
                                Message 15 of 29 , Feb 11 7:07 AM

                                  With Mary’s subsequent clarification, I agree that the difference is significant.  The way I’ve treated the sabbatical in the past is pretty much as you’ve described it, namely outside the team and outside the backlogs for a concentrated stretch.

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Feb 11 7:21 AM

                                    I think Mike’s just touched on one of the major issues.  All the good ideas we have been tossing around (and they _are_ all good) depend heavily on the culture of the organization.  What works in one organization may not work in another.  3M’s 15% works because it’s a part of their culture.  The sabbatical worked for me because it fit the culture of the organization I’d worked for at the time.  Mike’s Friday afternoon idea worked with the culture at one place but not another.

                                    We’re really talking about encouraging innovation.  If the culture doesn’t support innovation then none of what we’re talking about may be possible.  In this case, I would suggest either working very hard to change that culture or starting to look for another job before the company folds!  On the other hand, if the company does support innovation, one of these approaches may be a good solution.

                                    I personally favor the sabbatical approach for the same reasons that I find Scrum works well for me, namely that it promotes a concentrated, uninterrupted time for people to become immersed in something.  However, the central theme is encouraging innovation by allowing people time to do something outside of their regular project tasks and that’s more important than the mechanics.  Find something that works and consistently push at it.

                                    --- Mike Cohn <mike@...> wrote:

> [...]

                                    > into a sprint
                                    > backlog. So: if the sprint is 20 days * 8 hours that
                                    > is 160 hours. I'll
                                    > encourage teams to pull in about 100 hours each of
                                    > identified backlog.
                                    > The rest is spent on whatever else takes up that
                                    > team's day (meetings,
                                    > email, washing my car, etc.) but it also puts them
                                    > into a mode right off
                                    > where there isn't undue pressure that leads to
                                    > shortcuts. This is
                                    > different from commitment to the project, though.
                                    > The team is expected
                                    > to be committed to the project 100% but slack is
                                    > allowed in their
                                    > schedules because they are all trusted to know how
                                    > best to spend that
                                    > time.  DeMarco's latest book, "Slack" appropriately
                                    > enough, is pretty
                                    > good on the subject but gets pretty repetitious by

                                  • Jonas Bengtsson
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Feb 20 4:32 AM
                                      Hi all,

                                      I'm going to write a paper about product-lines (for a course called
                                      product-line architecture). So I thought of writing about how product-lins
                                      are managed in agile development. Most literature I've read state that a
                                      planned BDUF is the only way to go.
                                      * Are there any articles etc that describes how to deal with product-lines
                                      in agile development?
                                      * Does anyone have any experiences with product-lines in agile development?

                                      Thanks in advance,
                                      Jonas
                                    • mpoppendieck
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Feb 21 1:33 PM
                                        Jonas,

                                        You might want to check out the following page, titled 'Lean
                                        Design', on my web site:

                                        http://www.poppendieck.com/design.htm

                                        A good article to check out is "How Microsoft Makes Large Teams Work
                                        Like Small Teams", Michael Cusumano, Sloan Management Review, Fall
                                        1997 which is an excerpt of the book "Microsoft Secrets" by the same
                                        author.

                                        Another good source of information is material on how Toyota does
                                        new product development. Since Toyota is by far the most agile
                                        automobile developer, I think you can learn a lot from how they
                                        develop products. Some of the more relevant articles are:

                                        The Second Toyota Paradox: How Delaying Decisions Can Make Better
                                        Cars Faster, Sloan Management Review, Spring `95, Allen Ward,
                                        Jeffrey Liker, John Cristiano, Durward Sobek

                                        Another Look at how Toyota Integrates Product Development, Durward
                                        Sobek, Jeffrey Liker, Allen Ward, Harvard Business Review, July-
                                        August, 1998.

                                        Toyota's Principles of Set-Based Concurrent Engineering, Sloan
                                        Management Review, Winter `99, Sobek, Allen, Liker

                                        You basically need access to a business library to get at these
                                        articles, but they are very good.

                                        --- In scrumdevelopment@y..., "Jonas Bengtsson" <jonas.b@h...> wrote:
                                        > Hi all,
                                        >
                                        > I'm going to write a paper about product-lines (for a course called
                                        > product-line architecture). So I thought of writing about how
                                        product-lins
                                        > are managed in agile development. Most literature I've read state
                                        that a
                                        > planned BDUF is the only way to go.
                                        > * Are there any articles etc that describes how to deal with
                                        product-lines
                                        > in agile development?
                                        > * Does anyone have any experiences with product-lines in agile
                                        development?

                                        > Thanks in advance,
                                        > Jonas
                                      • Jonas Bengtsson
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Feb 25 1:40 AM
                                          Thank you Mary!
                                          I found all the articles except "Another Look at how Toyota Integrates
                                          Product Development". I will look into all the articles later!

                                          /Jonas