Re: Getting ready for 1st sprint

  • Andreas Schliep
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2007
      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Emiliano Heyns"
      > Since we'll be starting our first sprint soon -- how much time would
      we need
      > to reserve to get things going?

      Hi Emiliano,

      a way that worked for us was a small "Story Gathering/Backlog
      Creation" Sprint, lasting four days. The POs had the following tasks:

      - Create User Stories
      - Perform Estimation Meetings
      - Refactor User Stories
      - Prioritize Backlog

      The important difference is not the time you take for the Story
      Gathering Sprint but the estimation meeting between backlog creation
      and Sprint planning. Typically, your POs are not experienced in
      creating good backlog items. We've seen that team members will give
      astronomically high estimates for bad stories. That forces the POs to
      refactor them.
    • Roman Pichler
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2007
        Hi Emile,

        I recently wrote an article for the Scrum Alliance website that
        describes the prep work I recommend you do. Have a look at
        http://www.scrumalliance.org/articles/38-prepped-for-success.

        Good luck,
        Roman

        <emiliano.heyns@...> wrote:

        > Hello all,
        >
        > Since we'll be starting our first sprint soon -- how much time
        would we need
        > to reserve to get things going? Should I have the POs (two POs in
        this case)
        > draft a product backlog before the first planning meeting and then
        have a
        > 4-hour planning session? Or should I start with a 4 hour backlog
        session
        > followed by a 4 hour planning session?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Emile

      • wieberneitt
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2, 2007
          Hi Emile,

          you definitely should have the POs produce a product backlog first.
          They likely have some specifications that can be used as a basis for
          this. These specs then can be broken down into manageable pieces of
          functionality, which can be estimated and prioritized (no detail
          planning yet but a good understanding). For this (especially the
          estimation part) you likely need to support them with a few good
          architects or architect like persons (experienced developers, ideally
          some who understand the domain).

          Rgds
          Thomas

          <emiliano.heyns@...> wrote:

          > Hello all,
          >
          > Since we'll be starting our first sprint soon -- how much time would
          we need
          > to reserve to get things going? Should I have the POs (two POs in
          this case)
          > draft a product backlog before the first planning meeting and then
          have a
          > 4-hour planning session? Or should I start with a 4 hour backlog session
          > followed by a 4 hour planning session?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Emile

        • Graeme Matthew
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 3, 2007
            Emile

            Can i make a very strong suggestion. Spend some decent time to ensure
            that your Product Owners understand their responsibility and
            contribution they need to make to a scrum team. Get them to produce the
            product backlog but at the same time ensure that you help them
            understand how to write user stories etc work with them. Also ensure
            that they understand that they need to continiously provide feedback and
            need to be available throughout the project. Also ensure that they have
            thought about their product, the initial product backlog session is not
            a time to for them to start from scratch and spend 2 hours deliberating
            if a feature is required feature. I strongly believe they should have
            done some prep work and should be able to race through identifying a
            number of features and placing them on the backlog.

            Trust me its a difficult thing to reverse if not done

            my 2c :-))

            Regards

            Graeme