Getting ready for 1st sprint

  • Emiliano Heyns
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 31, 2007
      Hello all,

      Since we'll be starting our first sprint soon -- how much time would we need to reserve to get things going? Should I have the POs (two POs in this case) draft a product backlog before the first planning meeting and then have a 4-hour planning session? Or should I start with a 4 hour backlog session followed by a 4 hour planning session?

      Thanks,
      Emile
    • Andreas Schliep
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2007
        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Emiliano Heyns"
        > Since we'll be starting our first sprint soon -- how much time would
        we need
        > to reserve to get things going?

        Hi Emiliano,

        a way that worked for us was a small "Story Gathering/Backlog
        Creation" Sprint, lasting four days. The POs had the following tasks:

        - Create User Stories
        - Perform Estimation Meetings
        - Refactor User Stories
        - Prioritize Backlog

        The important difference is not the time you take for the Story
        Gathering Sprint but the estimation meeting between backlog creation
        and Sprint planning. Typically, your POs are not experienced in
        creating good backlog items. We've seen that team members will give
        astronomically high estimates for bad stories. That forces the POs to
        refactor them.
      • Roman Pichler
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 1, 2007
          Hi Emile,

          I recently wrote an article for the Scrum Alliance website that
          describes the prep work I recommend you do. Have a look at
          http://www.scrumalliance.org/articles/38-prepped-for-success.

          Good luck,
          Roman

          <emiliano.heyns@...> wrote:

          > Hello all,
          >
          > Since we'll be starting our first sprint soon -- how much time
          would we need
          > to reserve to get things going? Should I have the POs (two POs in
          this case)
          > draft a product backlog before the first planning meeting and then
          have a
          > 4-hour planning session? Or should I start with a 4 hour backlog
          session
          > followed by a 4 hour planning session?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Emile

        • wieberneitt
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 2, 2007
            Hi Emile,

            you definitely should have the POs produce a product backlog first.
            They likely have some specifications that can be used as a basis for
            this. These specs then can be broken down into manageable pieces of
            functionality, which can be estimated and prioritized (no detail
            planning yet but a good understanding). For this (especially the
            estimation part) you likely need to support them with a few good
            architects or architect like persons (experienced developers, ideally
            some who understand the domain).

            Rgds
            Thomas

            <emiliano.heyns@...> wrote:

            > Hello all,
            >
            > Since we'll be starting our first sprint soon -- how much time would
            we need
            > to reserve to get things going? Should I have the POs (two POs in
            this case)
            > draft a product backlog before the first planning meeting and then
            have a
            > 4-hour planning session? Or should I start with a 4 hour backlog session
            > followed by a 4 hour planning session?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Emile

          • Graeme Matthew
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 3, 2007
              Emile

              Can i make a very strong suggestion. Spend some decent time to ensure
              that your Product Owners understand their responsibility and
              contribution they need to make to a scrum team. Get them to produce the
              product backlog but at the same time ensure that you help them
              understand how to write user stories etc work with them. Also ensure
              that they understand that they need to continiously provide feedback and
              need to be available throughout the project. Also ensure that they have
              thought about their product, the initial product backlog session is not
              a time to for them to start from scratch and spend 2 hours deliberating
              if a feature is required feature. I strongly believe they should have
              done some prep work and should be able to race through identifying a
              number of features and placing them on the backlog.

              Trust me its a difficult thing to reverse if not done

              my 2c :-))

              Regards

              Graeme