Re: open source and motivation

  • Dave Mell
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 23, 2003
      Good article Boris. Along those lines, I just had an interesting
      discussion yesterday with some managers on how to rally the team (not
      terribly Agile at this point). Before we started brainstorming
      ideas, I posed the question of what really motivates engineers and
      then drove the conversation to distinquish between intrinsic and
      extrinsic rewards. In the end, it was a good excercise to make sure
      we had a balanced approach that had elements of both. Would have
      been better to have facilitated this Retrospective type conversation
      with the individual contributors themselves, but I'll take what I can
      get.

      I found psychologist Mihaly Csikzentmihalyi's (pronounced "chick-SENT-
      me high", author of Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience and
      others) conclusions about the types of activities that make people
      feel best about what they do quite compelling. I've only skimmed his
      work but came across this summary in Womack and Jones 'Lean Thinking'.
      People feel best about what they do when the activities have:
      - Clear objectives
      - Need for intense concentration
      - Lack of interuptions
      - Clear and immediate feedback on progress toward the goal
      - Challenge, having adequate skills but just barely.

      Scrum practices map very well to these which fosters a software
      development experience that is intrinsically rewarding.

      Cheers,
      Dave Mell

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Boris Gloger <boris@g...>