Re: [scrumdevelopment] Managing the process

  • Jeff Sutherland
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 19, 2003
      Managing the process in Scrum in not the same as leading the people which
      is the Scrum Master's job.

      I help the Scrum Master by:

      1. Providing any management reports that senior management wants (without
      interfering with the Scrum)
      2. Generate the Burndown chart and bug status charts so everyone knows the
      state of play every day
      3. Analyse the loading on the team and provide results to the Scrum Master
      so he can see how best to redistribute work
      4. When necessary, nag people to complete estimates, do the 60 seconds of
      reporting a day needed, or find out how to complete or kill tasks/bugs that
      seem to hang around endlessly.

      The Scrum asked me to do this and I do it in my spare time. It offloads
      administrative work for the Scrum Master, so he or she can focus on
      leading, coding, and delivering working releases. It takes a few minutes a
      day and so far has avoided the overhead of having any PMs in the company.

      Jeff Sutherland