Re: Agile / Scrum Lecture

  • michele_sliger
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 26, 2007
      Hi Graeme,
      I think you'll be fine no matter what aspect you choose to cover,
      because in all likelihood it will be new and interesting to the
      students.

      However, if you want them to really take the learnings to heart and
      be inspired to learn more on their own, you'll have to first figure
      out how they might be able to immediately apply what you're teaching.
      Talk with the instructor to find out what sort of things he's been
      teaching, what kind of class it is, and what projects they've been
      assigned. Find out who the students are - are they full-time students
      or do they all have day jobs? What sort of work do they do?

      I've taught and guest lectured in college settings, and my last class
      was a group of MBA students who were learning about project
      management - but not necessarily software project management. So I
      focused mainly on Scrum, and gave examples of how it could be used in
      ANY project(writing a book, planning an event, starting your own
      business, being the mayor of a city). That seemed to really catch
      their interest.

      Hopefully they'll go on to manage software development organizations
      and actually promote agile practices instead of having to be
      convinced of their worth!

      -Michele Sliger

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Graeme Matthew <scrum@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi all.
      >
      > An associate (met at a company while he was doing a short holiday
      work
      > experience) attends a local university and they lightly touched on
      the
      > various methods for implementing a product in one of their
      subjects. His
      > lecturer asked him if he knew anyone who could come and give them
      an
      > overview of agile experiences etc. I am happy to do this and am
      thinking
      > how i can structure the overview.
      >
      > I could simply run over the scrum process and include the agile
      > principles this would be more down my alley or i could cover the
      > principles of agile, cultural change related to my experience so
      far.

      > Does anyone have some ideas etc.
      >
      > And another thing just wanted to make sure that there are no
      > restrictions regarding scrum e.g. only a certified scrum
      practitioner or
      > CSM can do something like this etc
      >

      > Any assistance is appreciated.
      >
      > Many thanks
      >
      > Graeme
      >
      > I HAVE NO GRIPES ABOUT SCRUM :-)) I HAVE LOTS OF GRIPES ABOUT
      WATERFALL