Scrum Gripes

  • Ken Schwaber
    Message 1 of 50 , Mar 24, 2007
      Some people are unhappy about various Scrum things. They need a place
      to talk. Unfortunately, when they use this group, it gets pretty
      overwhelmed with negativity. Worse, the real purpose - to discuss how
      to use Scrum to run projects and programs - gets lost.

      To help those who have gripes about Scrum but no other place to air
      them but here, I've started a group,ScrumGripes
      (scrumgripes@yahoogroups.com)
      The purpose of the group is:

      "I don't like something about Scrum, the way the ScrumAlliance is
      forming a community around it, the certification process ... or, for
      that matter, I'm just in a picky mood and want to vent. This group is
      for me so I don't have to pollute the ScrumDevelopment group."

      Please feel free to share your displeasures and criticisms at this
      site. If you continue to use the ScrumDevelopment site to air your
      displeasures, you will be automatically removed and signed up for the
      scrumgripes group.

      Ken
    • Mike Dwyer
      Message 50 of 50 , Mar 30, 2007

        Ken:

        I am not sure that the root cause of these major diversions has been brought out and discussed, and until that is done Scrum as a discipline and as a community will need to have these ‘flame outs’.

        I used to be a major contributor to this community, we had huge – emotional and committed  - conversations but they always led to an understanding of Scrum as a framework for success.  Jeff brought up ideas, as did you, others contributed, but then the community changed.

        Our community grew people from those who viewed Scrum as that framework and applied the frame to a variety of environments. New people entered who look to Scrum as ‘the way’ to get things done and IMO began to ossify (harden) the framework into a dogmatic set of steps.

        These arguments IMO are the indicators that a tipping point is approaching and that we need to discuss, as a community, the viability of Scrum as both framework and as a rule set.  This will clarify the relative importance of being certified in understanding and applying the framework as well as the dexterity and exactness of executing the rule set.

        Michael F. Dwyer

        "Planning constantly peers into the future for indications as to where a solution may emerge."