Re: Guidance and Samples for a Product Owner

  • Pete Deemer
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 23, 2007
      I'm head of product management for a yahoo! business unit with 500
      people, and I'm introducing scrum both at the team level and also at
      the management / org level.

      Based on the surveys of scrum teams that we do at yahoo! several times
      a year, product managers are at least as positive about scrum as
      people in other job functions. To a PM, I think being the "single
      wringable neck" actually feels pretty good; the ability to inspect and
      adapt gives you a lot more power to achieve your business value goals;
      velocity-based release plans are a whole lot more confidence-inspiring
      than the bluff-counterbluff negotiation with engineering we used to
      do; and the list goes on.

      I think you only really start to seriously consider alternative
      approaches when you've exhausted hope that your current approach can
      be made to work, and circumstances and mindset bring some people to
      that point sooner than others. And for still other people, their
      current approach is working great, so they keep doing it.

      Pete Deemer
      CSM/P, CST

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Powell"