RE: [APM] SCRUM IS NOT AGILE

  • Mike Dwyer
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 23, 2007

      There are a couple of posits that either make your posting of great value or a huge LOL.

      To find out which conclusion you find is appropriate, please answer the following. SCRUM as you were shown it a framework for getting things done or a cookbook to do things.

      Having been engaged in the Agile movement since before it was called Agile, and having done Scrum in more environments other than development than anyone I have talked to, I have to come to the conclusion that the kool aid you drank made you think Scrum is a cookbook.  Sorry, not only is SCRUM not a cookbook it is even more a way to think than Agile.  Why?

      Your neat graphic (comparable to many in PMI magazines) does not have a hard stop anywhere just like those other process based approaches.  Hard stops are important as they denote discipline and structure, a path to getting things done, not a roadmap.

      Doubt me?  Run your logic against a type “C” scrum and see what happens.  The notion of PM falls apart and what you end up with is a 21st century tool for beating the hell out of the competition.

      Sorry but the thoughts you express only fit if I choose to let process and cookbooks stand in the way of discipline, and structure that Scrum, in all its forms point to.  When you think of Scrum go to the basic action – the daily update.  In the basic frame of Scrum  Where are you today, where do you plan to be tomorrow and what is impeding you from getting in a type “A” scrum morphs in a Type “C” (or dare I say “D”) Scrum to “how much did you do, what do you estimate is left to do and what is making you change your mind.”  The basic frame is getting to done and not wasting a second in the ‘process’.

      Michael F. Dwyer

      "Planning constantly peers into the future for indications as to where a solution may emerge."