Re: Following SCRUM completely?

  • Victor Szalvay
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2007
      Gagan,

      I would recommend getting some Scrum training (CSM, or otherwise). My
      take is that Scrum has no redundant parts (as Michael James says). It
      boarders on chaos intentionally to help stimulate creativity and
      productivity. And if you remove some of the components you run a high
      risk of descending into chaos.

      Orgs tend to remove parts of Scrum because they are difficult to do or
      because they cause too much pain. That's the point though. Scrum is
      very hard to do and the root-cause problems it uncovers should be
      addressed.

      In practice I think most organizations balk at this step. It's too
      hard to actually fix the root causes of the pain. It's much easier to
      say that Scrum caused the pain and walk away.

      I wish there was an easy list of "required rules" I could give you,
      but Scrum is about a set of principles more than anything. Once you
      understand those principles you may tailor Scrum for the right
      reasons. Before you understand the principles and have some
      experience doing pure Scrum you'll likely tailor Scrum for the wrong
      reasons (like: it hurts).

      -- Victor Szalvay
      http://danube.com

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Gagandeep Singh"