Following SCRUM completely?

  • Gagandeep Singh
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2007
      Elo,

      I have done some projects using SCRUM, but am neither a SCRUM master
      nor an expert in SCRUM.

      However, I am not sure that if we (my team) followed SCRUM fully.

      Here is what we did:
      1. Have a WBS (estimation) meeting to identify and estimate the tasks.
      2. Put the tasks in a sprint sheet
      3. Have daily status meetings - Sometimes, in simpler cases and/or due
      to timezone conflicts between onsite and offshore teams and/or busy
      stake holders, this was not held daily but may be once/twice a week).

      This was pretty much it. May be adding the new tasks to the SPRINT, as
      they were identified within the sprint cycle, date updated etc.

      What I want to know is that what all processes should be followed
      while using SCRUM for a project?
      What are the critical processes to be followed, and which processes
      could depend on various factors like project size/complexity, team
      size and locations (across timezones) etc.?

      Thanks much in advance. Will much appreciate any inputs as per
      industry experiences.

      Gagan
      Tech Lead
      eSystems
      USA
      http://www.linkedin.com/in/gagandeeps
    • Victor Szalvay
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2007
        Gagan,

        I would recommend getting some Scrum training (CSM, or otherwise). My
        take is that Scrum has no redundant parts (as Michael James says). It
        boarders on chaos intentionally to help stimulate creativity and
        productivity. And if you remove some of the components you run a high
        risk of descending into chaos.

        Orgs tend to remove parts of Scrum because they are difficult to do or
        because they cause too much pain. That's the point though. Scrum is
        very hard to do and the root-cause problems it uncovers should be
        addressed.

        In practice I think most organizations balk at this step. It's too
        hard to actually fix the root causes of the pain. It's much easier to
        say that Scrum caused the pain and walk away.

        I wish there was an easy list of "required rules" I could give you,
        but Scrum is about a set of principles more than anything. Once you
        understand those principles you may tailor Scrum for the right
        reasons. Before you understand the principles and have some
        experience doing pure Scrum you'll likely tailor Scrum for the wrong
        reasons (like: it hurts).

        -- Victor Szalvay
        http://danube.com

        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Gagandeep Singh"