Re: Agile and 6 Sigma

  • Mike Jones
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2003
      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Brad Appleton <brad@b...>
      > I don't know who has applied this to software development,
      > but in theory at least "Lean" and Six Sigma are compotible,
      > so I would imagine it possible that Agile and Six Sigma are
      > compatible as well and it all comes down to the implementation
      > and execution in practice

      What little I know about six sigma (I'm just getting started
      myself), indicates that it will work in an Agile environment.

      Our product falls under FDA control, and we wondered how we would
      implement Scrum and what the FDA needed. What we discovered was
      that the FDA didn't dictate any given process.

      What I'm finding is that these external processes have requirements
      and control points that you need to insert within your daily
      schedule (things you have to do to make the given process work - its
      a machine and you need to turn the crank).

      Scrum wasn't so much a process - it was a tool for getting processes
      done. Whatever your process is - you just insert them within your
      day.

      The FDA is pretty much about documenting everything- having defined
      processes and follow them (and "prove" that you followed them - if
      you don't write it down, it didn't happen). We just documented our
      implementation of Scrum (and how our life cycle worked). The FDA
      and Six Sigma have different purposes.

      I expect six sigma to be the same. A set of control points to
      insert into our current process and metrics to record (and feed into
      some machine). The hard part is always... Just Doing It. Agile is
      about doing whatever needs to be done and throwing the rest aside.
      So you decide what you want from the process and do those parts (and
      some parts aren't optional).

      -Mike