RE: [scrumdevelopment] Organizational Structure

  • Ken Schwaber
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2003
      1. Functional managers set the standards and guidelines for the people
      representing that professional skill, as well as ensure that they get the
      education they need. They are part of the review process; Team based review
      is the bulk of any raise.
      2. They can become ScrumMasters, as well as taking on helping the Product
      Owner and customers think through how to manage ROI based development. The
      whole idea of getting functionality every Sprint is pretty startling to
      users; they need help with the transition.
      3. Short and long term, the functional managers are helping define a better
      way of doing work, but they are also losing their authority and (as far as
      they can see) their career path. Does anyone else have any good ideas about
      what to do with a functional manager, long term?

      Ken

      #1 above, become Scrum Masters, both?

      3) Are there any issues or subtleties you would recommend watching
      out for in this top down transition?

      Thanks,
      Dave

    • Mary Poppendieck
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 3, 2003
        Dave,

        I guess my first question would be, why do you wan to transition to
        a project-centric world? What is the purpose of the transition?

        I grant that when creating value for customers through a product
        line, there should be a `value stream owner' who is responsible for
        shepherding the creation of value for the customer, and a cross-
        functional team working on creating that value. But I worry that
        when all work is focused on the value stream via projects, then
        people tend to lose contact with their `communities of expertise',
        whether their expertise is database, GUI, transaction processing,
        testing, web services, operations, networking, help desk,
        whatever.

        In an organization with a good matrix management system, the
        functional manager is responsible for creating these `communities of
        expertise,' through hiring, training, setting standards, etc. The
        functional manager assigns people to work on teams (projects) led by
        value stream owners, who have the responsibility to create business
        value for customers.

        When people contribute their expertise to various teams over time,
        the functional manager in a matrix organization is usually
        responsible for salaries and promotions, with input from value
        stream team leaders. When people work on a single product family
        over a period of years, then the product owner may be involved in
        setting salaries. In matrix companies, salaries and promotions are
        generally not the responsibility of project managers, and thus they
        would not be the responsibility of Scrum Masters.

        I have seen the matrix model work successfully in quite a few
        companies, even though it is often accused of creating
        functional `silos'. This has triggered a move to project-centric
        models, which, unfortunately, tend to create project `silos' which
        do not nurture communities of expertise. This is okay if you are
        working in an area where expertise does not give the company a
        competitive advantage, but when a company competes based on
        particular areas of expertise, it is wise to maintain a place for
        that expertise to be nurtured and grown. Doing this is the job of a
        functional manager.

        Mary Poppendieck

        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Mell" <dmell@w...>
        wrote:
        > Need some help to answer questions from execs when considering the
        > transition from a functionally centric to a project centric
        > organizational structure. I'd like some validation/redirection
        of
        > my thinking on some pretty basic questions.
        >
        > 1) In a project centric world, for whom does it make sense to
        take
        > on the role of determining raises and fostering individuals career
        > development? Could be Scrum Master, tech lead, or functional mgr
        > but it seems like the person closest to the individuals doing the
        > actual work makes most sense.
        >
        > 2) What do functional managers do in the project centric world?
        > Do #1 above, become Scrum Masters, both?
        >
        > 3) Are there any issues or subtleties you would recommend watching
        > out for in this top down transition?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Dave
      • Mike Sherman

          #1 above, become Scrum Masters, both?

          3) Are there any issues or subtleties you would recommend watching
          out for in this top down transition?

          Thanks,
          Dave

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor