RE: [scrumdevelopment] Digest Number 410

  • Robert Martin (UncleBob)
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2003
      > One thought that I had was simply to re-calibrate our idea of
      > an "ideal developer day" by introducing support issues as just
      > another thing which eats into development time. We could quantify
      > this by measuring how much time each person has spent on support over
      > the last couple of weeks. We might even be able to dynamically
      > change our story point on a per-sprint basis, or is that just asking
      > for trouble?!?!

      If you use story points to estimate the items on your backlog (your stories)
      then you can measure how many of those points you complete each sprint.
      That's your velocity. If during the sprint you had to deal with support
      issues, then your velocity goes down because the support issues took time
      away from completing stories.

      Last sprint's velocity is data that suggests how much the team ought to sign
      up for in the following sprint. If they got 32 points done last spring,
      perhaps they shouldn't sign up for more than 32 this sprint. If the support
      burden remains relatively constant, then this tactic will help them reserve
      the necessary time for support.

      Once you have the time allocation under control, your next task is to reduce
      the amount of time spent in support. I would adopt test driven development
      as a first step in that direction. Those teams who have adopted this
      approach have measured a 10-fold reduction in defects delivered to
      production.

      Robert C. Martin |
      President & Founder |
      Object Mentor Inc. | unclebob @ objectmentor dot com