Re: [scrumdevelopment] Agile and 6 Sigma

  • Brad Appleton
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
      I recently came across something called "Lean Six Sigma"
      that has apparently been around for a year or two. It combines
      Six Sigma with the principles of lean production. I posted
      a query about it on the leandevelopment YahooGroup and got
      a couple of responses. The most helpful one was from
      Brian Henderson:
      > You may try looking at the Software Channel on iSixSigma.com
      > <http://software.isixsigma.com/>
      >
      > Here is one article that may help explain Lean Six Sigma...
      > http://software.isixsigma.com/library/content/c020725a.asp

      There is also a book or two from Amazon by Michael George
      entitled "Lean Six Sigma" along with a 30+page excerpt.

      I don't know who has applied this to software development,
      but in theory at least "Lean" and Six Sigma are compotible,
      so I would imagine it possible that Agile and Six Sigma are
      compatible as well and it all comes down to the implementation
      and execution in practice

    • Brad Appleton
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
        Looks like there is an article in Last month's CrossTalk
        magazine that compares "Lean Six Sigma" with the CMM:
        http://www.stsc.hill.af.mil/crosstalk/2003/09/index.html

        That issue also has an article on best-practices for defect
        management in an agile development environment.

        On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 02:05:13PM -0500, Brad Appleton wrote:
        > I recently came across something called "Lean Six Sigma"
        > that has apparently been around for a year or two. It combines
        > Six Sigma with the principles of lean production. I posted
        > a query about it on the leandevelopment YahooGroup and got
        > a couple of responses. The most helpful one was from
        > Brian Henderson:
        > > You may try looking at the Software Channel on iSixSigma.com
        > > <http://software.isixsigma.com/>
        > >
        > > Here is one article that may help explain Lean Six Sigma...
        > > http://software.isixsigma.com/library/content/c020725a.asp
        >
        > There is also a book or two from Amazon by Michael George
        > entitled "Lean Six Sigma" along with a 30+page excerpt.
        >
        > I don't know who has applied this to software development,
        > but in theory at least "Lean" and Six Sigma are compotible,
        > so I would imagine it possible that Agile and Six Sigma are
        > compatible as well and it all comes down to the implementation
        > and execution in practice
        >
        > --
        > Brad Appleton <brad@...> www.bradapp.net
        > Software CM Patterns (www.scmpatterns.com)
        > Effective Teamwork, Practical Integration
        > "And miles to go before I sleep." -- Robert Frost
      • Eric Johnson
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
          From a root philosophy standpoint, I tend to agree with Alistair.
          Six Sigma tends to emphasize rigorous documentation and
          quantifiable measurements -- even when developing the
          documentation and analysis delivers little real value. This is,
          of course, directly opposed to the philosophy of developing the
          minimum documentation, code, etc, required to confidently
          deliver the product.

          That said, I think it is possible to map XP@Scrum activities into
          a Six Sigma DMADV framework. I haven't fully thought this
          through, but I've been kicking it around for a while. Any comments
          are most welcome.

          Sigma DMADV Phases & XP/Scrum Deliverables

          Iteration X

          DEFINE
          - User Stories
          - Functional Requirements
          - Non-Functional Requirements
          - Product Backlog
          - Committed Sprint Backlog
          - Management Tests (from industrialXP)
          - Acceptance Tests

          MEASURE
          - Management Tests (current state)
          - Sprint Backlog Burndown

          ANALYZE
          - Customer/Developer Design Sessions
          - Alternate Design Concepts
          - Prototypes (paper, code, etc)

          DESIGN
          - Unit Tests
          - Working Code
          - Design Documentation (as appropriate)

          VERIFY
          - Acceptance Tests (outcomes)
          - Management Tests (outcomes)
          - Customer Feedback
          - Sprint Review Meeting

          Then loop-back and repeat for the next iteration.

          I think this mapping could work in a Sigma organization,
          provided the Master Black Belts understand the reason
          for taking an "inspect and adapt" approach like XP@Scrum.
          Since Sigma came out of a manufacturing environment,
          many MBBs may be able to see the correlations between
          Scrum and industrial process control theory (maybe Ken
          or someone else can expound further on the connections?).

          Hope this helps.

          --EJ

          http://home.ricochet.com/eric.r.johnson/

          >From: acockburn@...
          >To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] Agile and 6 Sigma
          >Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 11:40:12 EDT
          >
          >In a message dated 9/30/2003 9:34:30 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
          >McClintock_Mike_G@... writes:
          >I've had great success with Agile, and wish to continue developing in
          >this manner, however the 6 Sigma wave is upon us. My concerns on how
          >well these 2 methodologies can integrate are increasing. Has anyone
          >found a way to merge the 2 or experimented on weather the 2 can
          >coexist.
          >
          >Thanks in advance for your replies,
          >---> My take is that there is a fundamental opposition to the two.
          >
          >Some agile techniques can be used anyway, but the *intention* or value of
          >staying agile and the intention or value of being correct lead to different
          >development strategies.
          >
          >See
          >http://alistair.cockburn.us/crystal/articles/adjtwbc/agiledevjoinsthewouldbecrowdcitj0102.pdf
          >for a discussion.

          >Dr. Alistair Cockburn
          >President, Humans and Technology
          >Program Director, Agile Development Conference
          >(http://AgileDevelopmentConference.com)
          >
          >http://alistair.cockburn.us alistair.cockburn@...
          >1814 E. Fort Douglas Circle, Salt Lake City, UT 84103
          >Phone: 801.582-3162 Fax: 775.416.6457
          >
          >"La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien a ajouter,
          >mais quand il ne reste rien a enlever." (Saint-Exupery)

          http://msnmessenger-download.com
        • Mike Jones
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 2, 2003
            --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Brad Appleton <brad@b...>
            > I don't know who has applied this to software development,
            > but in theory at least "Lean" and Six Sigma are compotible,
            > so I would imagine it possible that Agile and Six Sigma are
            > compatible as well and it all comes down to the implementation
            > and execution in practice

            What little I know about six sigma (I'm just getting started
            myself), indicates that it will work in an Agile environment.

            Our product falls under FDA control, and we wondered how we would
            implement Scrum and what the FDA needed. What we discovered was
            that the FDA didn't dictate any given process.

            What I'm finding is that these external processes have requirements
            and control points that you need to insert within your daily
            schedule (things you have to do to make the given process work - its
            a machine and you need to turn the crank).

            Scrum wasn't so much a process - it was a tool for getting processes
            done. Whatever your process is - you just insert them within your
            day.

            The FDA is pretty much about documenting everything- having defined
            processes and follow them (and "prove" that you followed them - if
            you don't write it down, it didn't happen). We just documented our
            implementation of Scrum (and how our life cycle worked). The FDA
            and Six Sigma have different purposes.

            I expect six sigma to be the same. A set of control points to
            insert into our current process and metrics to record (and feed into
            some machine). The hard part is always... Just Doing It. Agile is
            about doing whatever needs to be done and throwing the rest aside.
            So you decide what you want from the process and do those parts (and
            some parts aren't optional).

            -Mike