Re: In search of the waterfall.

  • petriheiramo
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 2, 2007
      Hi Graeme,

      > Get approval. Pick a project, ensure you have a team that is fully
      > committed to the agile mindset, prove it, let the business market its
      > success and I am sure that people will say I want a piece of that. I
      > strongly believe that many people are risk averse, why change, but if
      > they see it work they are very quick to grab some of it :-)) It takes a
      > few people to make the change and take the risk.

      I have already received that approval in my division, and I've got a
      sample of successes :). I don't have to prove them in my part of the
      organization anymore, just get people to understand the results and
      how to apply it in their work (ie. start their own Scrum project, or
      convert into one). That's where I need them to understand the thinking
      as well.

      But I also need to carry the torch to other parts of the organization.
      They work in a different kind of software development business and
      while there are many equalities between the work in the divisions,
      there are some very significant differences, primarily in the customer
      world. So merely showing success in our division is not enough
      (especially when it's difficult to show it in big numbers), I have to
      be able to give them ideas how they can get them in their world.

      So I'm going in through all fronts. First get them to understand the
      ideas of Agility, then show that we've had great results and people
      are happy with it, and then go in and work the miracles with them. :)
      It's still a long road ahead, but I'm very optimistic.

      > If you believe in De Bono, look at Pratical Thinking, pg 130
      >
      > No Escape:
      >
      > "The idea is so absolutely right that everyone must work towards it.
      > Lack of acceptance of the idea can only be due to ignorance, stupidity
      > or bad will"
      >
      > Who wants to be seen as ignorant?
      > Who wants to be seen as stupid?
      > Who wants , no matter what the politics wants to be seen as bad will?
      >
      > now if you execute and prove its not an idea it is fact , who would
      say no?

      I agree, but people firm in their opinion will often still defend
      their opinion (see Practical Thinking, p. 88 - 92). They either claim
      that I don't have the whole picture (yes, it's nice it works for you,
      but we have this and that, and it won't work here the same) or they
      are "arrogant" and shut out the possibilities to avoid confronting the
      change.

      Luckily, I'm getting positive feedback on the ideas and I think, given
      time, we will have a more Agile way of working. However, "Agility is
      not the goal; it's a means to delivering software effectively", so I
      cannot be arrogant myself and claim that it's the only way. :)

      In fact, we've identified some elements in our business environment
      that will make it very difficult to eliminate the phased approach
      completely. It's a challenge that we may in fact turn into our
      advantage, but it's something that I have to help the people involved
      to solve. But we still may have to accept some phased approach in some
      environments.

      Petri Heiramo

      Process Improvement Manager
      SysOpen Digia Plc / Telecommunications
      Hämeentie 135 A, FIN-00560 Helsinki, Finland
      email: petri.heiramo@... / +358-40-7092 526
    • Graeme Matthew
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 2, 2007
        sorry thought you did not have approval, hope it goes well, good luck

        petriheiramo wrote:

> [...]
        > time, we will have a more Agile way of working. However, "Agility is
        > not the goal; it's a means to delivering software effectively", so I
        > cannot be arrogant myself and claim that it's the only way. :)
        >
        > In fact, we've identified some elements in our business environment
        > that will make it very difficult to eliminate the phased approach
        > completely. It's a challenge that we may in fact turn into our
        > advantage, but it's something that I have to help the people involved
        > to solve. But we still may have to accept some phased approach in some
        > environments.
        >
        > Petri Heiramo
        >
        > Process Improvement Manager
        > SysOpen Digia Plc / Telecommunications
        > Hämeentie 135 A, FIN-00560 Helsinki, Finland
        > email: petri.heiramo@...
        > <mailto:petri.heiramo%40sysopendigia.com> / +358-40-7092 526

      • petriheiramo
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 2, 2007
          Graeme,

          > sorry thought you did not have approval, hope it goes well, good luck

          Your advice is a solid one, and ultimately it will come down to
          getting it work in practice. No matter of talk and ideology will
          surpass the proof of practical success.

          So far all I've done in the other parts in the organization is talk. I
          have to take your advice to heart in order to prove Agility there. How
          did it go, "walk the walk"? :)

          Interestingly, while often development processes are evaluated based
          on their financial performance, some of the recent interest has
          focused primarily on the effect of Agility on developer morale.

          Yours Sincerely,

          Petri

        • Alexey Krivitsky
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 2, 2007
            Steven.

            That's an interesting point you made about a scrum team put to waterfall:
            a real scrum team will turn any of existing processes they are faced with into scrum
            after several adaptations.

            This means that if a company doesn't know how to make their processes agile,
            they need to invite an expert scrum team that will show the approach in real time.

            That's interesting.

            On 1/31/07, Steven Gordon < sgordonphd@...> wrote:

            For teams that just do not get it, a short waterfall is not a bad
            starting point. What happens when a new scrum teams tries to do a
            short waterfall is quite predictable.

            When they cannot deliver anything completely done, then inspect and
            adapt should slowly lead to more thinly sliced stories, analysis and
            design via just defining the tests before the implementation, and most
            of the XP engineering practices (as long as somebody prevents the team
            from extending the length of their sprints).

            The shorter the sprint length, the quicker the learning (I highly
            recommend 2 weeks at the max). Of course, a good coach can
            excellerate this improvement process, but having the team's experience
            motivate the improvements helps people really get it.

            Steve