Re: [scrumdevelopment] Project Manager and ScrumMaster. Is it the same?

  • Nicholas Cancelliere
    Message 1 of 78 , Feb 1, 2007
      The "pressure" for the success of a project in Scrum is put more or less on the Product Owner, some on the developers, and some of the Scrummaster.  Everyone is working together as a team.  The PO needs to provide the right vision, prioritize the backlog properly so that value is being delivered to the customer - the team is working on the right features.  In the sense of traditional projects though, where a Project Manager was responsible for overall success, I feel in Scrum the Product Owner is now the one primarily responsible (as they are providing the vision and organizing the backlog). The development team needs to be selecting and delivering their product increments successfully with quality.  The Scrummaster needs to make sure everyone's empowered to do their job and isn't impared in some way or fashion.

      A Scrummaster =! Project Manager.  There's a reason Ken gave it a new name, it's a new role that has not existed before.

      The Scrummaster might not themselves commit per se, in terms of a consensus vote the team does at the end of sprint planning, they are most definately engaged and have their part in helping a team be fully productive and thereby successful in reaching that goal.  I don't think a sheepdog would sit and watch the wolves come charging down the hill and think "Oh well -- it's not *my* flock really anyways."

      Message 78 of 78 , Feb 3, 2007
        <<< Nicholas is absolutely correct .
        Scrum Master and Project Manager are two different roles. >>>

        That is not what I had said. I had said that the ScrumMaster needs to see
        himself as a part of the team and needs to be commited to the sprint goals.
        I very much agree to the statement that scrummaster is NOT just another name
        for a project manager.

        @Wolfgang ... You mentioned an example where the team comes to you with an
        impediment, and you are thinking it is not an impediment but it is them
        asking you to tell them what to do. You said you don't tell them. Why?

        I think that this is part of coaching ... And is this not one way of
        facilitating work. Now ... I'm not speaking of doing the job for someone
        else, but of sitting down next to them and giving them hints about how to do
        it themselves. I would assume next time this person comes across such an
        issue he won't have to ask anymore. I mean ... If you keep showing someone
        how to do it, and he just doesn't get it ... Maybe he is in the wron job
        position ... And this is a problem that is not caused by scrum, it is just
        made visible by scrum.

        I see nothing wrong with a ScrumMaster doing this type of coaching. It
        doesn't have to be that way, because a ScrumMaster does not have to be an
        expert in the domain the team works on ... But if the ScrumMaster is an
        expert, why not use his expertise?

        Regards,

        Heber