RE: [scrumdevelopment] Project Manager and ScrumMaster. Is it the same?

  • Wolfgang Schulze Zachau
    Message 1 of 78 , Feb 1, 2007
      (replying to Martine)

      OK, let me describe the situation and what I did and then we discuss what I should have or could have done different:
      We are in the middle of a sprint. The team comes to me and says: We don't know how we should write this particular piece of software, we have a block(impediment) and we are asking you to remove it.
      I turn around and say: No, you don't have an impediment. You are simply used to me telling you how to do things. From now on you will start using your own heads. Go away and do it. You are all intelligent people, so figure out what you need to do.
      They went away and figured. Their solutions were sometimes bad, but they were their solutions.
      This is what I call pushing for self-organization.
      I am now working on some coaching/mentoring to help them come up with better solutions.

      Regards,

      Wolfgang

    • Heber Ferraz-Leite
      Message 78 of 78 , Feb 3, 2007
        <<< Nicholas is absolutely correct .
        Scrum Master and Project Manager are two different roles. >>>

        That is not what I had said. I had said that the ScrumMaster needs to see
        himself as a part of the team and needs to be commited to the sprint goals.
        I very much agree to the statement that scrummaster is NOT just another name
        for a project manager.

        @Wolfgang ... You mentioned an example where the team comes to you with an
        impediment, and you are thinking it is not an impediment but it is them
        asking you to tell them what to do. You said you don't tell them. Why?

        I think that this is part of coaching ... And is this not one way of
        facilitating work. Now ... I'm not speaking of doing the job for someone
        else, but of sitting down next to them and giving them hints about how to do
        it themselves. I would assume next time this person comes across such an
        issue he won't have to ask anymore. I mean ... If you keep showing someone
        how to do it, and he just doesn't get it ... Maybe he is in the wron job
        position ... And this is a problem that is not caused by scrum, it is just
        made visible by scrum.

        I see nothing wrong with a ScrumMaster doing this type of coaching. It
        doesn't have to be that way, because a ScrumMaster does not have to be an
        expert in the domain the team works on ... But if the ScrumMaster is an
        expert, why not use his expertise?

        Regards,

        Heber