Re: [scrumdevelopment] Selling scrum and agile to the "others"?

  • Graeme Matthew
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2007
      Alan I by no means am saying that this is correct but it worked for me
      to get management buy-in to get scrum trialled.

      I printed a lot of articles on agility from CIO Magazine and other
      sources. Every week I dropped off an article on the CIO's desk. He
      actually read them because they were short. Overtime something must have
      kicked in. I also got developers, architect and quality assurance
      managers thinking about it, slowly (7 months or more) people began
      talking amongst each other and it slowly spread.

      When we had a corporate function, drinks and agile chit chat can also go
      down well.

      When there were problems , for example, aagh no ! we need to update the
      func spec and get them to sign -off, oh and the traceability matrix with
      the BRS, I would comment and say I wish we could have used scrum blah
      blah blah, I think in the end they might have just said lets just do it
      we have nothing to lose as our current timeframe to deliver is not good.

      This led to them trialling it on a medium sized project. They saw much
      better results than they got from waterfall, but they did change a true
      scrum implementation to adapt it to their organisation, much to my
      disgust :-))

      I have actually found that so far in 3 companies that I have had more
      resistance , sceptics from people in information technology departments
      than anywhere else.

      The very people who should be bringing about this change to deliver
      value to the customer resist it.

      When I speak to our business customers and say how would you like it if
      we deliver you working software in 30 days, you get to change your mind
      because we know that you will, we realise that you dont really know all
      the detail at the start, but thats cool, and guess what we are not going
      to ask everything up front from you, you get to change your mind to
      ensure that you get what you want, the only thing in this partnership is
      you need to be available for us, you need to manage the ROI and we
      commit to doing our best possible work for you.

      I have not heard one of them refuse instead it has been , when do we
      start? The only hinderance so far has been I.T departments who do so
      much work yet never deliver very little besides sytems that adhere to
      complex, large and outdated documents.

      In the first company it was the developers who were the problem, and in
      the end the management that supported it left, they changed back to
      waterfall ......

      In my current "evangelism" it is IT once again who are hindering us, yet
      we are working around it, kicking goals, lots of things are starting to
      become visible :-))

      Cheers

      Graeme

    • Adrian Howard
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2007
        On 1 Feb 2007, at 05:24, Alan Dayley wrote:
        [snip]
        > What methods or means are successful in getting others to "get it"? I
        > expect it must be, again, a fuzzy thing where no one answer or way is
        > correct. My current first attempts with most of my colleges are
        > unsuccessful except to at least get the work "scrum" into the air.
        [snip]

        Generally I find showing rather than telling to be the most effective
        technique. If I think some practice, say TDD, will help a client I'll
        just start writing tests. Once you have a demonstrable benefit it's
        easier to sell to others, which in turn then makes persuading folk
        that related techniques from the same stable could be a good idea too.

        Cheers,

        Adrian