Agile Truisms (was Re: Firms Using Scrum -- Can you add more info?)

  • petriheiramo
    Message 1 of 73 , Jan 31, 2007
      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Graeme Matthew <scrum@...> wrote:

      > Petri not sure if this will help you.
      >
      > I am currently producing a scrum guide as we are about to commence a
      > trial. This guide will be used by our PMO. i.e. the PMBOX process
      > intranet site will direct them to this content for agile candidate
      > projects. I have pasted the table of contents perhaps it will help you
      > with some ideas for your slides.
      >
      > I am planning on releasing this wednesday 7th Feb to the mailing
      list to
      > get peoples feedback and more importantly offer suggestions where they
      > think I am speaking crap :-). I will then release this document to the
      > community and hopefully they find it useful.

      <snip the TOC>

      That looks like a solid TOC for a guide into using Scrum. I'm
      certainly interested in it.

      However, when introducing Agility here in SysOpen Digia, I've chosen
      not to go into the details of Scrum in the first meeting or
      presentation (unless the team is already committed to using Agile
      methods and has a basic info on it). Instead, I've gone through the
      various elements of Agile thinking and where the principles of Agility
      can yield improvements in the way we approach project planning and
      management (sort of like why Agility simply makes sense (and waterfall
      doesn't :) ). People have been quite interested in that approach and
      I've received positive feedback specifically for it (since many people
      have come in expecting to hear about the practices and processes). You
      have to break the waterfall thinking before people can see through
      into Agility. And we are talking about long-time professionals in this
      industry.

      How to run a Scrum project comes when people are committed to the
      ideas and it's great to have such a working framework to give them. :)

      Yours,

      Petri Heiramo

      Process Improvement Manager
      SysOpen Digia Plc / Telecommunications
      Hämeentie 135 A, FIN-00560 Helsinki, Finland
      petri.heiramo@... / +358-40-7092 526
    • Joseph Little
      Message 73 of 73 , Feb 6, 2007
        Ron,

        A few comments below based on your post...

        > ...and I shall henceforth consider seriously becoming more cryptic
        > in hopes of attaining that lofty goal of having my ideas actually
        > considered prior to their ultimate and summary rejection.

        Hey, don't be such a hang dog. (Unless, as there usually is, more
        going on here than I understand.) Those ideas are generally getting
        accepted. Not as fast as we would like, but faster than we have any
        right to expect, given how we humans work.

        >...in fact I think small steps are
        > an inherent part of Agile. What I am not so all for is the notion of
        > getting people to take some small step and then becoming complacent
        > because, after all, they're better off now.

        Hear, hear! Well said.

        > I hasten to add that as far as I know, no one here has taken the
        > Small Step Toward Complacency position.

        Not explicitly. Who would, phrased like that? But de facto some take
        that position, as you are saying.

        > Awaiting your negotiators, or your seconds, as you may prefer, I
        > remain, yours etc., etc,

        ...collaboration over...negotiation.... Is that echoing in my ears?

        Regards, Joe