RE: [scrumdevelopment] Who makes decisions regarding the processes?

  • Wolfgang Schulze Zachau
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2007
      Hi Ralph,

      I believe that it doesn't really matter what you start out with, as long as you truly commit to the "inspect, adapt, repeat" cycle. Sooner or later you will end up with the tools and processes that serve your setup the best. We started out with a 4 week sprint, then went through a couple of cycles with varying sprint lengths and have now settled on 2 weeks. We started out estimating ideal hours and have now settled on fictitional size units. We started out re-estimating remaining hours on tasks before each daily scrum, but now we only use 4 different states, i.e. we eliminated the waste of getting to the hours. There are lots of other small changes we made because they felt right. If they worked, we kept them. If they didn't, we changed them again until they worked.
      We are still a long way away from optimum performance, but every sprint moves us a little closer.
      If I were to forcefully introduce all the changes I want, I would lose my team on the way there. Not everybody can accept the same speed of change, therefore this will take some time. It is also important to remember that if the team itself discovers that a new way of doing something does actually make a change, that sense of discovery and achievement is lost, if the same change is introduced by force.

      Regards,

      Wolfgang