Need your help about CMMI

  • Nam Dao Xuan Thien
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 24, 2007
      Dear ALL,

      I am a new beginner in CMMI and now I am attending the course
      "Introduction of CMMI". However, I think that it is better if I join
      in the CMMI group, so can someone point me out which group I can
      subscribe in to discuss about CMMI.

      Thank you and best regards,

      Nam
    • mkg6_hotmail
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 24, 2007
        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Nam Dao Xuan Thien"
        <dxtnam@...> wrote:

        > Dear ALL,
        >
        > I am a new beginner in CMMI and now I am attending the course
        > "Introduction of CMMI". However, I think that it is better if I join
        > in the CMMI group, so can someone point me out which group I can
        > subscribe in to discuss about CMMI.
        >
        > Thank you and best regards,
        >
        > Nam

        Hmmm.... Somebody asking in an Agile group where to be for a non-Agile
        CMM(I) group.... Wait! That's an opportunity to influence him to avoid
        the dark side!

        Nam, there is a big difference in the way CMM(I) and Scrum (Agile)
        view the development process. In CMM(I) the idea is that a project is
        a determenistic: you can estimate right, you can plan right and thus
        predict what is going to happen.

        Agile is the other way: the development is emperical, you have to use
        feedback loops and small measurements to control what you're doing.

        Not to disappoint you, the company I'm working for (23,000
        multinational) wasted, and I really mean wasted, a lot of money, time
        and effort on CMM(I). The result was ignored and abandoned. The
        official way to go now is Agile & Scrum and most people are now
        actually enthousiastic, even though there are still people who are
        sceptical.
      • Hubert Smits
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 24, 2007
          Hello MKG6_hotmail,

          You sound rather cynical, probably because the CMMi initiative didn't
          work out for you or your company. Which is too bad. There are other
          experiences though, Jeff Sutherland has researched and written about
          the combination of CMMi and Scrum, and the huge benefits that were
          gained by both processes. I'm not sure if he did put it on his website
          (www.jeffsutherland.com/scrum). He's also hanging around here, and may
          be able to provide a better link.

          So Nam: please hang around in both communities, there is lot to learn,
          and I would be very interested in your experiences.

          --Hubert

          On 1/24/07, mkg6_hotmail <mkg6@...> wrote:
          > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Nam Dao Xuan Thien"
          > <dxtnam@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Dear ALL,
          > >
          > > I am a new beginner in CMMI and now I am attending the course
          > > "Introduction of CMMI". However, I think that it is better if I join
          > > in the CMMI group, so can someone point me out which group I can
          > > subscribe in to discuss about CMMI.
          > >
          > > Thank you and best regards,
          > >
          > > Nam
          > >
          > Hmmm.... Somebody asking in an Agile group where to be for a non-Agile
          > CMM(I) group.... Wait! That's an opportunity to influence him to avoid
          > the dark side!
          >
          > Nam, there is a big difference in the way CMM(I) and Scrum (Agile)
          > view the development process. In CMM(I) the idea is that a project is
          > a determenistic: you can estimate right, you can plan right and thus
          > predict what is going to happen.
          >
          > Agile is the other way: the development is emperical, you have to use
          > feedback loops and small measurements to control what you're doing.
          >
          > Not to disappoint you, the company I'm working for (23,000
          > multinational) wasted, and I really mean wasted, a lot of money, time
          > and effort on CMM(I). The result was ignored and abandoned. The
          > official way to go now is Agile & Scrum and most people are now
          > actually enthousiastic, even though there are still people who are
          > sceptical.

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Michael Maham
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 24, 2007