Re: [scrumdevelopment] Web-based Scrum tool

  • Neil Padgen
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 23, 2003
      On Thursday 18 September 2003 17:40, Stanley wrote:
      > You might want to start from (or collaborate with) the people doing
      > http://www.xplanner.org/ <http://www.xplanner.org/>

      Thanks for the pointer, Stanley. We're going to give XPlanner a try.

      XPlanner is an XP planning tool, but with a bit of bending it can be
      made to fit the Scrum approach. We're going to do this by having an
      "iteration" called "Product Backlog", dated sometime in the future,
      and another iteration representing each Sprint.

      It's not quite right for Scrum by-the-book, because there's no way to
      limit the Product Owner to only managing the Product Backlog.
      However, it fits quite well with our situation, where our Product
      Owners (project managers) leave it to the Scrum Master to keep the
      Product Backlog up to date. Per-user configuration seems to be on
      the to-do list for XPlanner, which would obviously help remedy this.

      Also, the graph of metrics isn't the Sprint burndown chart, but is two
      *increasing* lines - one for estimated time, one for actual time.
      Hopefully it'll be possible to subtract the one from the other to get
      a burndown chart. After all, it's more psychologically pleasing to
      see a line go down over time!

      There is also a SOAP interface to XPlanner, which might help us fill
      the other niggles that we have with XPlanner.

      -- Neil
      --

      BBCi at http://www.bbc.co.uk/

      stated.