Scrum: Feedback on sabbatical idea

  • Mike Jones
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 23, 2003
      And finally - Ken asked me a (verbal) question while at SD Best
      Practices. I'm guessing by the question that our experiences are
      probably not unique.

      Q) Should developers have some kind of sabbatical during the year or
      between projects ? (as best I remember the words)

      I asked others in the group and had my memory refreshed - Yes, folks
      need some kind of a break, we came to equate Sprints with Treadmill.
      The different projects & sprints came to blur together and never end.

      A break could be as simple as moving onto design or requirements,
      just doing something other than participating in the never ending
      development sprints. Of course we were on a kind of death march (if
      you can have a 40 hour march). Scrum certainly made us focused and
      we were driven - but the daily energy to keep up the sprint came to
      wear us out. Yes - we had our share of 50-60 weeks (rewarded with
      extra days off and/or cash) - but the end of a 50 hr week was met
      with a 40 hr week - the drive was still the same.

      I look forward to all discussions. I find the Software engineering
      process an interesting topic.

      -Mike
    • Steven Gordon
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 23, 2003
        You seem to imply that requirements and design are done outside of your sprints in your organization. This may be part of the reason why your sprints are more stressful than they should be.

        5{
      • Mike Jones
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 2003
          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Steven Gordon
          <sagordon@a...> wrote:
          > You seem to imply that requirements and design are done outside of
          your sprints in your organization. This may be part of the reason
          why your sprints are more stressful than they should be.

          Oh no no, I left out a bit of the picture. I meant to refer to
          requirements and research of far off future projects - things still
          way off in (err...cough) Inception.

          When in a series of sprints - we found ourselves constantly focused
          on the immediate project. This has its advantages and works well.
          But as soon as the product is delivered, we would start off on the
          next project - same focus. We all felt that we needed to come up
          for air - take a break from the intense focus (which lasted for over
          3 years)

          -Mike