PM Tools

  • Max Pendyshchuk
    Message 1 of 78 , Jan 11, 2007
      Hello,

      In my another post Reiner Schindler wrote "don't be a slave of PM-
      tools" and I want to ask about your opinion - do you use / like such
      tools? does it help?

      We use our own tool, which was written for task registration and I
      can't say that it is very good tool, we will change it (there are some
      strange moments here. I mean the way, in which we want to use it - for
      PM and for administration).

      If you can, write me please names or links of standard PM tools, I want
      to see what they do and how they can simplify PM process.

      Maybe there are/were such discussions here, if you know - write me
      please name of topic, or date (approximately, I will look for).

      A lot of thanks for any reply.
    • Heber Ferraz-Leite
      Message 78 of 78 , Feb 3, 2007
        <<< Nicholas is absolutely correct .
        Scrum Master and Project Manager are two different roles. >>>

        That is not what I had said. I had said that the ScrumMaster needs to see
        himself as a part of the team and needs to be commited to the sprint goals.
        I very much agree to the statement that scrummaster is NOT just another name
        for a project manager.

        @Wolfgang ... You mentioned an example where the team comes to you with an
        impediment, and you are thinking it is not an impediment but it is them
        asking you to tell them what to do. You said you don't tell them. Why?

        I think that this is part of coaching ... And is this not one way of
        facilitating work. Now ... I'm not speaking of doing the job for someone
        else, but of sitting down next to them and giving them hints about how to do
        it themselves. I would assume next time this person comes across such an
        issue he won't have to ask anymore. I mean ... If you keep showing someone
        how to do it, and he just doesn't get it ... Maybe he is in the wron job
        position ... And this is a problem that is not caused by scrum, it is just
        made visible by scrum.

        I see nothing wrong with a ScrumMaster doing this type of coaching. It
        doesn't have to be that way, because a ScrumMaster does not have to be an
        expert in the domain the team works on ... But if the ScrumMaster is an
        expert, why not use his expertise?

        Regards,

        Heber