Re: Anyone have stats on attrition rates after agile adoption?

  • dnicolet99
    Message 1 of 31 , Jan 5, 2007
      Michele,

      I messed up my last reply and some of it was not submitted. I meant to
      follow up on your comment about PMs making the transition to ScrumMaster.

      Not everyone agrees that this is the normal path for PMs. Some of us
      think the PM still has an important role to play in support of agile
      teams. The nature of the work changes, but the role remains important
      and distinct from that of the ScrumMaster.

      Everyone has had different experiences, of course, but I personally
      have not seen an organization completely transform into an "agile
      organization". Where agile methods have been successfully adopted, the
      agile group operates within the context of a larger IT organization
      that remains traditional in its thinking and processes. The
      ScrumMaster must stay focused on the team and the Product Owner.

      The PM, meanwhile, has a role to play in "running interference" with
      the rest of the organization, which may or may not understand how the
      agile teams function. He/she may also have to prepare reports to be
      consumed by people who don't understand Scrum-style project reporting,
      and possibly for consumption by Six Sigma analysts or internal
      auditors. The ScrumMaster should not be burdened with these tasks.

      OTOH, many companies don't see a need to staff two roles on projects,
      and the layer of management just above the PMs doesn't "get" the
      ScrumMaster role. I think it is for this reason that many individuals
      have to try and function as both ScrumMaster and PM, and not because
      that is really the most effective team structure.

      This may change going forward, as agile crosses the chasm and as more
      companies adopt lean thinking organization-wide. They will begin to
      recognize the low value of pure-overhead management reporting and the
      high value of process facilitators and teach coaches. For the moment,
      though, I'm not so sure PMs need to transform into ScrumMasters,
      unless they happen to be attracted to that type of work as an
      individual choice. Transforming them from Theory X to Theory Y
      managers may be sufficient.

      Your thoughts?

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "dnicolet99" <dnicolet@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "michele_sliger"
      > <michele_sliger@> wrote:
      > >

      > > As a consultant, I see this in an area that has special meaning for
      > > me: project managers. They are concerned that since the teams are
      > > self-organizing that they will no longer be needed. They don't
      > > understand what their new duties will be if they're not asking
      > > coders "is it done yet?" and updating the Gantt chart. Granted,
      > > that's a stereotype, but I'm not usually called in to help teams that
      > > already "get it" so I have a warped view of reality around the
      > > adoption of agile by traditional project managers.
      >
      > I think you're right that this is an area of special interest for agile
      > adoption. PMI-trained PMs find agile development to be counterintuitive.
      > I've encountered misunderstandings from PMs many times, and mentioned a
      > couple of those experiences in PMs coming to grips with agile project
      > management
      > <http://www.davenicolette.net/agile/index.blog?entry_id=1583372> and
      >

      > > My role is to help them see what their jobs could become, as
      > > ScrumMasters. I try to relate their current duties to what they would
      > > do in the Scrum framework, using their language (PMI). This helps
      > > them to see how their role will change, and the opportunities this
      > > affords them. i.e., Understanding can help alleviate fear, then
      > > adoption is more likely.
      > >
      > > It's a change some can't accept, or won't. Some try with trepidation
      > > and become very successful; some try with excitement and zeal and
      > > fail completely.
      > >
      > > -Michele

    • bazil_arden
      Message 31 of 31 , Jan 10, 2007
        They aren't definitive numbers, but Pete Deemer and Gabrielle
        Benefield's great summary of Scrum at Yahoo! Concludes with a couple
        of stats that indicate happier and therefore lower attrition amongst
        Scrum teams.

        In particular
        "85% of team-members stated that they would continue using Scrum if
        the decision were solely up to them."

        "Team Morale: 52% of respondents reported Scrum is better or much
        better; 9% reported Scrum is worse or much worse; 39% reported Scrum
        is about the same."

        I hope that helps a little.
        Bazil