Re: Anyone have stats on attrition rates after agile adoption?

  • dnicolet99
    Message 1 of 31 , Jan 4, 2007
      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "michele_sliger" <michele_sliger@...> wrote:

      > As a consultant, I see this in an area that has special meaning for
      > me: project managers. They are concerned that since the teams are
      > self-organizing that they will no longer be needed. They don't
      > understand what their new duties will be if they're not asking
      > coders "is it done yet?" and updating the Gantt chart. Granted,
      > that's a stereotype, but I'm not usually called in to help teams that
      > already "get it" so I have a warped view of reality around the
      > adoption of agile by traditional project managers.

      I think you're right that this is an area of special interest for agile adoption. PMI-trained PMs find agile development to be counterintuitive. I've encountered misunderstandings from PMs many times, and mentioned a couple of those experiences in PMs coming to grips with agile project management and

      > My role is to help them see what their jobs could become, as
      > ScrumMasters. I try to relate their current duties to what they would
      > do in the Scrum framework, using their language (PMI). This helps
      > them to see how their role will change, and the opportunities this
      > affords them. i.e., Understanding can help alleviate fear, then
      > adoption is more likely.
      >
      > It's a change some can't accept, or won't. Some try with trepidation
      > and become very successful; some try with excitement and zeal and
      > fail completely.
      >
      > -Michele

    • bazil_arden
      Message 31 of 31 , Jan 10, 2007
        They aren't definitive numbers, but Pete Deemer and Gabrielle
        Benefield's great summary of Scrum at Yahoo! Concludes with a couple
        of stats that indicate happier and therefore lower attrition amongst
        Scrum teams.

        In particular
        "85% of team-members stated that they would continue using Scrum if
        the decision were solely up to them."

        "Team Morale: 52% of respondents reported Scrum is better or much
        better; 9% reported Scrum is worse or much worse; 39% reported Scrum
        is about the same."

        I hope that helps a little.
        Bazil