Re: Anyone have stats on attrition rates after agile adoption?

  • entretriens
    Message 1 of 31 , Jan 4, 2007
      Regarding the personnel turnover rates, I wonder how much of those are
      because the people are incompatible with the scrum framework or
      because they aren't needed anymore. What do you mean by turnover? Some
      mean replacement of resources, while others refer to the loss of
      resources which includes those that are never replaced.

      One of the benefits of a properly implemented scrum is optimization of
      worker productivity; you can achieve much more with less bodies. Some
      companies see it as an opportunity for growth by engaging new
      challenges, while many see it as a way to reduce cost by letting
      people go.

      Has anyone else experienced concerns of job security as a source of
      resistance? Please respond with details on how it was handled. I've
      had to deal with this at least a few times with different members of
      the project teams.

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "michele_sliger"
      <michele_sliger@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > their book Waltzing with Bears).
      >

      > > But why look for a study to confirm or deny a cause-and-effect
      > > relationship between a methodology and some secondary factor the
      > > methodology was not designed to address?
      >
      > I believe that it's a direct cause-and-effect relationship, but I'm
      > no scientist. I think it would be cool to read about and learn from.
      > Indeed, maybe the real reason for the reduction in turnover that I've
      > observed is due to the relationship with the ScrumMaster and not
      > Scrum at all! (or did Scrum force better leadership?) There's a
      > study by Florida State University that shows how bad bosses affect
      > turnover: "They say that employees don't leave their job or company;
      > they leave their boss." Read more here:
      > http://www.newsvine.com/_news/2007/01/01/502640-study-2-of-5-bosses-
      > dont-keep-word
      >
      > How likely is it that anyone
      > > would undertake such a study?
      >
      > I don't know. But I'm pleased to see that the Agile Alliance has an
      > Academic Research Program that is funding studies - it will be great
      > to see what things turn up as a result.
      >

      > > Your "quest for a study" is interesting because it seems as if many
      > > people believe in statistical information resulting from controlled
      > > studies, which may have been filtered and massaged in any number of
      > > ways for any number of reasons, while they disbelieve what they
      > > derisively call "anecdotal evidence and hearsay." Yet, anecdotal
      > > evidence and hearsay are nothing less than direct reports of reality
      > > coming straight from the horse's mouth. Why do you distrust your own
      > > observations? Do you think you might have been hallucinating?
      >
      > No, I don't do drugs, and I just had my annual physical, so I'm sure
      > I wasn't hallucinating! I certainly trust my observations, and it's
      > always nice to have confirmation by others, particularly when you're
      > in Scrum up to your eyeballs every day. :)
      >
      > And I agree that statistics can be manipulated and can be misleading.
      > I'm really just interested in reading the study - how the problem was
      > approached, how they measured, their findings. It's a geeky interest.
      >
      > It also helps those who aren't currently using agile approaches to
      > remove some skepticism. If I as a "known agilist" write that 'this is
      > true because I've observed it' it is likely to have less credibility
      > with the non-agile skeptical reader than 'this is true because I've
      > observed it and here are studies that back up my opinion.' I want to
      > be objective, and I feel outside corroboration (case studies, other's
      > observations, statistical studies, etc.) is helpful in achieving this
      > goal.
      >
      > And for those who were trying to remember Ken's quoted numbers -
      > I did find a quote on a blog here: http://www.gunjandoshi.com/?p=88
      > that said Ken's quote on turnover was:
      > "Ken mentioned another interesting metric. He mentioned that there is
      > usually 20% turnover in development and 40% turnover in management

    • bazil_arden
      Message 31 of 31 , Jan 10, 2007
        They aren't definitive numbers, but Pete Deemer and Gabrielle
        Benefield's great summary of Scrum at Yahoo! Concludes with a couple
        of stats that indicate happier and therefore lower attrition amongst
        Scrum teams.

        In particular
        "85% of team-members stated that they would continue using Scrum if
        the decision were solely up to them."

        "Team Morale: 52% of respondents reported Scrum is better or much
        better; 9% reported Scrum is worse or much worse; 39% reported Scrum
        is about the same."

        I hope that helps a little.
        Bazil