Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Anyone have stats on attrition rates after agile adoption?

  • Nicholas Cancelliere
    Message 1 of 31 , Jan 3, 2007

      I had heard a statistic before (not sure how accurate it is) but that some 30% of turn-over should be expected when adopting an Agile process.  There are some people, God bless them, that just don't get it and can't escape the 80s "working girl" management style of command, control, and I am the boss with all the power do as I say!

      I can't imagine that a team which is performing would have members unhappy and wanting to leave - long standing ones anyhow.

      I was part of a team here in Austin that the management in Dallas would literally send people down to "see what we're doing," because throughout the company we had a reputation of performance, low turn over, and high quality -- people were excited to get us to work on their projects and loathed having the Dallas office team because they were notoriously slow, over analyzed everything to death and late.  One manager explained to me he wanted to try and reproduce our "close knit family feel" up at the corporate headquarters.  Sadly - they didn't learn how.  One of the big differences was the Austin office was a satellite office with *no managers* just 2 supervisors (tech leads) and the rest were developers.  When teams are given the freedom to chart their own destiny and truly perform great things happen.  I couldn't of told the guy "That's easy - quit the company."  :-)

      Moral of the story though - Agile doesn't work for everyone, and some companies and/or individuals have a hard time adapting to change.  Remember the #1 impediment to adoption is culture, not technology.

      On Jan 3, 2007, at 1:53 PM, Mike Bria wrote:

      Hopefully I haven't mislead you with my question(s) into thinking I have any data for ya - sorry, I don't!  I clarified the q cuz I'm also curious. We'll see.

      On 1/3/07, michele_sliger <michele_sliger@yahoo.com> wrote:

      "Mike Bria" <bria526xp@...> wrote:

      > Michele --
      >
      > Can you be a bit more specific?
      >
      > Attrition with respect to what? The scrum team itself? The
      product group (assuming it's bigger than the team)? The company
      altogether?

      Gee, that all sounds good, Mike! I'm not picky - any study that shows
      that the adoption of Scrum (or any agile methodology) leads to less
      turnover in the long run - in any area (team, business, org) - will
      suit me fine.

      I have a personal opinion, based on observation, that upon adoption
      of Scrum turnover initially increases at both the team and the mid-
      and line-management level, but once agile teams have been established
      then turnover in the long run for both team and management is
      reduced. But I've got no hard data to back up my opinion. Just
      anecdotal evidence and hearsay. Thus my quest for a study!

      -Michele

    • bazil_arden
      Message 31 of 31 , Jan 10, 2007
        They aren't definitive numbers, but Pete Deemer and Gabrielle
        Benefield's great summary of Scrum at Yahoo! Concludes with a couple
        of stats that indicate happier and therefore lower attrition amongst
        Scrum teams.

        In particular
        "85% of team-members stated that they would continue using Scrum if
        the decision were solely up to them."

        "Team Morale: 52% of respondents reported Scrum is better or much
        better; 9% reported Scrum is worse or much worse; 39% reported Scrum
        is about the same."

        I hope that helps a little.
        Bazil

        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "michele_sliger"