Effort and work and 2007

  • Mike Dwyer
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2007

      Comparing Scrum to different tool sets or methodologies is like answering the old physics question about work and effort.

      Tool sets and methodologies are about effort, the consumption of, monitoring and controlling of, and (if all goes well) the production of value.

      Scrum is about producing value  ergo   Scrum is work.

      Agile is about people applying as little effort as possible to create something of value

      Tool sets and methodologies are time dependent, opting to consume as much resource as can be found within a specific time frame, again hoping to produce something of real or in most cases, paper, value.

      Scrum is about delivering as much value (work) in as short a time frame  feasible given the amount and capability of resources available.

      Agile is about people collaborating to incrementally learn and improve how they go converting effort into work and value.

      To the dogmatists reading this, my regrets to you, your postings repeatedly indicate you want a methodology to validate your consumption of people and time.

      To the Agilists here, my apologies for giving so little space to what we have all talked and written about for so long,

      To the Scrummers, learn your methodologies, understand your colleagues, throw away your notes, sit down and get to work.

      Happy 2007.

      Michael F. Dwyer

      "Planning constantly peers into the future for indications as to where a solution may emerge."