Re: Agile/Scrum disadvantages

  • dnicolet99
    Message 1 of 135 , Jan 3, 2007
      To Steve...

      >Suppose the company is acquired by another company who already has a
      competing product and therefore kills the project. Whose failure is that?

      It is not a failure. It is waste reduction by the new owner, who does
      not need two products that do the same thing.

      >Suppose the market suddenly changes so as to make the product being
      developed unprofitable. Whose failure is that?

      It is not a failure. It is merely a change in the market environment.

      >Suppose there never really was a profitable market for the product,
      but that fact could only be discovered by market testing the version
      produced after 2 months of development. Whose failure is that?

      It is not a failure. It is a courageous test of an unproven market
      culminating in the valuable discovery that there is nothing to be
      gained by going forward with the proposed product.

      >Suppose that building the product within a reasonable budget with the
      current state of technology is not feasible, but this fact could only
      be verified/discovered by trying for 2 months. Whose failure is that?

      It is not a failure. It is a reasonable attempt to try something that
      may be profitable, followed by the prudent and responsible cutting of
      losses very early on (after having invested only 2 months, practically
      nothing).

      None of these scenarios represents "failure" unless one takes the view
      that "success" is defined as plowing ahead with the original plan no
      matter what happens and no matter what is learned along the way.
    • Dave Nicolette
      Message 135 of 135 , Sep 5, 2007
        Ewww! Slimy hands!

        Dave