Re: Comparing RUP and SCRUM

  • DoctorArtem
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2007
      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "yvonnecos" <yvonnecos@...>
      wrote:

      > Both RUP and SCRUM are software development methdologies. Both uses
      > iterative and incremental development, starts with a vision document,
      > and require JAD sessions. However SCRUM requires less documentation,
      > more group meetings, more iterations (sprints)and uses release plans
      > instead of project schedules. Given the bureaucracy that exist in
      > Federal and State Government, what approach could be use to transition
      > from RUP to SCRUM or should a version of SCRUM be adapted?

      AFAIK RUP does not really mandate having functional software and
      tested end-user features at the end of the every increment. RUP *can*
      be applied this way, but the existence of waterfall-like named phases
      often lead to the waterfall-like implementations.

      yvonnecos, RUP is not a process, but rather a process framework that
      could be used for creating very different processes - close to Scrum
      or very distant from Scrum. If I understood your question correctly
      you are considering the possibility of changing some particular RUP
      implementation into Scrum. Could you, then, describe in a bit more
      detail what your RUP implementation is like?

      --
      Artem Marchenko
      http://agilesoftwaredevelopment.com