Re: [scrumdevelopment] Comparing RUP and SCRUM

  • Michael Vizdos
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2007
      For all those reading this thread, please remember the consequences of the last time we went down this particular rathole.  Please do a search on this topic and I'd highly suggest we stop this thread as it could be misconstrued as a possible religious rant.

      Trust me.

      - mike vizdos
        www.michaelvizdos.com/scrum
        www.implementingscrum.com

      On 1/2/07, yvonnecos <yvonnecos@...> wrote:

      Both RUP and SCRUM are software development methdologies. Both uses
      iterative and incremental development, starts with a vision document,
      and require JAD sessions. However SCRUM requires less documentation,
      more group meetings, more iterations (sprints)and uses release plans
      instead of project schedules. Given the bureaucracy that exist in
      Federal and State Government, what approach could be use to transition
      from RUP to SCRUM or should a version of SCRUM be adapted?

    • DoctorArtem
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2007
        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "yvonnecos" <yvonnecos@...>
        wrote:

        > Both RUP and SCRUM are software development methdologies. Both uses
        > iterative and incremental development, starts with a vision document,
        > and require JAD sessions. However SCRUM requires less documentation,
        > more group meetings, more iterations (sprints)and uses release plans
        > instead of project schedules. Given the bureaucracy that exist in
        > Federal and State Government, what approach could be use to transition
        > from RUP to SCRUM or should a version of SCRUM be adapted?

        AFAIK RUP does not really mandate having functional software and
        tested end-user features at the end of the every increment. RUP *can*
        be applied this way, but the existence of waterfall-like named phases
        often lead to the waterfall-like implementations.

        yvonnecos, RUP is not a process, but rather a process framework that
        could be used for creating very different processes - close to Scrum
        or very distant from Scrum. If I understood your question correctly
        you are considering the possibility of changing some particular RUP
        implementation into Scrum. Could you, then, describe in a bit more
        detail what your RUP implementation is like?

        --
        Artem Marchenko
        http://agilesoftwaredevelopment.com