Re: Comparing RUP and SCRUM

  • Andreas Schliep
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2007
      Hi,

      simple question, lots of possibilities...

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "yvonnecos" <yvonnecos@...>
      wrote:
      > ... Given the bureaucracy that exist in
      > Federal and State Government, what approach could be use to transition
      > from RUP to SCRUM or should a version of SCRUM be adapted?

      1) Methodology
      I do not believe that there is a simple way to convince a bureaucratic
      organization - government or German company ;-) - to pick any process
      or methodology without detailed documentation for every single step.
      Whether you decide to improve RUP towards Agile Unified Process or
      "simply" start with Scrum, you have to cope with a remaining
      organizational overhead. AUP might satisfy the organizational needs.
      Scrum is easier to implement but probably harder to defend.
      AUP: http://www.ambysoft.com/unifiedprocess/agileUP.html

      2) Transition
      The switch won't come in a day. We have learned that Scrum is a very
      good method to introduce Scrum in software development or evolve other
      organizational changes. Create a backlog of things you want to
      improve, prioritize them, set up iterations and go! One of the most
      crucial benefits of Scrum is its transparency. Any impediment that
      prevents your team, group or organization is clearly visible. You can
      point out the effects of any impediment and track the result of its
      removal.
      Impediment Backlog:
      http://www.sprint-it.de/sprint-it/scrum/artifacts/id=20,cid=29,lang=en

      3) Assistance
      We are here, of course. You can always adress the community or single
      members if you get stuck in your mission. And you will need more
      assistance - especially within your organization - to be succesful
      with agile approaches. Convince important stakeholders, work on quick
      yet sound results. Fear Less - consider the pattern work for
      organizational change by Mary Lynn Manns and Linda Rising.
      Patterns: http://www.cs.unca.edu/%7Emanns/intropatterns.html

      Believe in yourself and in your teams.
      Regards
      Andreas
    • Michael Vizdos
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2007
        For all those reading this thread, please remember the consequences of the last time we went down this particular rathole.  Please do a search on this topic and I'd highly suggest we stop this thread as it could be misconstrued as a possible religious rant.

        Trust me.

        - mike vizdos
          www.michaelvizdos.com/scrum
          www.implementingscrum.com

        On 1/2/07, yvonnecos <yvonnecos@...> wrote:

        Both RUP and SCRUM are software development methdologies. Both uses
        iterative and incremental development, starts with a vision document,
        and require JAD sessions. However SCRUM requires less documentation,
        more group meetings, more iterations (sprints)and uses release plans
        instead of project schedules. Given the bureaucracy that exist in
        Federal and State Government, what approach could be use to transition
        from RUP to SCRUM or should a version of SCRUM be adapted?

      • DoctorArtem
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2007
          wrote:

          > Both RUP and SCRUM are software development methdologies. Both uses
          > iterative and incremental development, starts with a vision document,
          > and require JAD sessions. However SCRUM requires less documentation,
          > more group meetings, more iterations (sprints)and uses release plans
          > instead of project schedules. Given the bureaucracy that exist in
          > Federal and State Government, what approach could be use to transition
          > from RUP to SCRUM or should a version of SCRUM be adapted?

          AFAIK RUP does not really mandate having functional software and
          tested end-user features at the end of the every increment. RUP *can*
          be applied this way, but the existence of waterfall-like named phases
          often lead to the waterfall-like implementations.

          yvonnecos, RUP is not a process, but rather a process framework that
          could be used for creating very different processes - close to Scrum
          or very distant from Scrum. If I understood your question correctly
          you are considering the possibility of changing some particular RUP
          implementation into Scrum. Could you, then, describe in a bit more
          detail what your RUP implementation is like?

          --
          Artem Marchenko
          http://agilesoftwaredevelopment.com