RE: [XP] RE: [scrumdevelopment] Agile and CMM are contradictory

  • Mike Beedle
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 9, 2001
      <Mary proposed>
      I propose that Lean Manufacturing has a host of good things to teach
      the software development industry. But note that the operative word
      in here is `Lean'. Lean means :

      1. Eliminating Waste – which is to say doing only those things
      which add value. It is amazing how many things you do not have to
      do if you aggressively eliminate things which do not add value.

      2. Streamlining Flow – Which means using the shortest possible
      path and the most rapid time. In manufacturing, this is applied to
      materials. In software development, this is applied to information
      flow. XP has a very rapid flow: from customer to developer to
      working code. No waste in handoffs.
      <Mary writes>

      <I responded earlier>
      >And then I turned around and applied those same patterns to
      >software development. In fact, I wrote a few articles on
      >how to apply these patterns in an article with the title
      >"Reengineering the application development process".
      <I responded earlier>

      Btw, here is the "radp" paper just in case anyone want to take
      a look at it:
      http://www.mikebeedle.com/pub/radp.pdf

      As well as a few other related articles and a presentation
      here:

      [Beedle97] M. Beedle, Pattern Based Reengineering,
      Object Magazine, January (1997).
      http://www.mikebeedle.com/pbr.html
      * This paper includes an extended version of the
      Zachman Framework that some people found interesting
      since it included objects and patterns.

      [Beedle95] M. Beedle, Object Based Reengineering,
      Object Magazine 4(2), (1995).
      * The equivalent of IDEF only in objects -- not good for
      software development!!!

      Enterprise Architectural Patterns
      http://www.mikebeedle.com/pub/patterns.ppt
      See also at the old Bell Labs site:

      http://www.bell-labs.com/cgi-user/OrgPatterns/OrgPatterns?BPRPatternLanguage
      * This dates back to the time when I was coordinating
      a common pattern language to build business and
      software organizations. This effort has been
      continued at:
      http://i44pc48.info.uni-karlsruhe.de/cgi-bin/OrgPatterns

      - Mike
      http://www.mikebeedle.com